This super simple Mexican-flavored coleslaw is perfect for picnics, BBQs and potlucks because its mayo-free and takes just a few minutes to toss together.
There are some recipes I slave over. Working, reworking and working them again to make them just perfect.
That’s not this recipe.
Instead, this recipe came together the very first time I made it. It was perfect from the get-go, and I’m not the only one who said so. I made it up to serve for a family BBQ with an upcoming recipe for some DELICIOUS Mexican-inspired pulled pork I made with this salsa that I’ll be sharing soon. Because if you know one thing about pulled pork, you know it needs a little crunchy kick to add to it.
Not that pulled pork is the ONLY thing this coleslaw is good with. It’s tasty as a side for pretty much any chicken, steak or seafood, especially when you’re looking for something with a little texture and crunch. I’m also planning on serving it alongside enchiladas as an alternative to salad. It’s totally adaptable that way.
This recipe is tried, tested and approved, and I KNOW it’s one you’ll have the same success with too.
About the Recipe
When you hear the words “Mexican food” you might conjure up images of becoming a fire-breathing dragon. This slaw is far from that. Rather than spicy with heat, it’s simply spiced with a dressing of classic Mexican flavors.
Lime juice. Garlic. Cumin. Oregano. Coriander. And just a slight dash of hot sauce. Because I just couldn’t help myself and had to add just a dash of heat, but certainly not the whole enchilada.
Rather than mincing the garlic, I’ve totally been into the using a garlic press like my mom always used to do. This one has been a solid helper in my kitchen.
A slither of honey sweetens the dressing that’s then poured over the crunchy slaw with slivers of red onion and freshly chopped cilantro leaves. Then you simply toss and let it sit. If cilantro is not your thing, you can always give good old flat leaf parsley a go or leave it out all together.
Recipe Ideas to Serve With Your Coleslaw
You’ve made this yummy coleslaw, but now what to serve it with?
- Cocktail: Palomas with Spicy Chili Sugar
- Main: Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Tacos
- Main: Spicy Fish Tacos
- Main: The Best Steak Fajitas
- Dessert: Mexican Chocolate Pie
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
- 1 14-ounce package prepared coleslaw mix
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 limes, juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 dashes hot sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the colelsaw mix with the sliced onion and chopped cilantro. In a small bowl or jar with a fitted lid, mix the canola oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, cumin, oregano, coriander, hot sauce and kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Pour over the coleslaw mixture and toss. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. This recipe is best eaten day of, but can be refrigerated overnight.
As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Subscribe and have every FoodieCrush post delivered straight to your e-mail inbox