This super simple Mexican-flavored coleslaw is perfect for picnics, BBQs and potlucks because it’s mayo-free and takes just a few minutes to toss together.
There are some recipes I slave over. Working, reworking, and working them again to make them just perfect. That’s not this recipe.
Instead, this recipe came together the very first time I made it. It was perfect from the get-go, and I’m not the only one who said so. I made it up to serve for a family BBQ with my recipe for DELICIOUS Mexican-inspired pulled pork tacos I made with this salsa. This coleslaw won raves, proving it’s been tried, tested, and approved, so I KNOW it’s one you’ll have success with too.
What’s In Mexican Coleslaw
When you hear the words “Mexican food” you might conjure up images of becoming a fire-breathing dragon. This slaw is far from that. Rather than spicy with heat, it’s simply spiced with a dressing of classic Mexican flavors.
Here’s what’s in this Mexican coleslaw:
- Prepared coleslaw mix
- Red onion
- Canola oil
- Lime juice
- Dash of hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Mexican Coleslaw
Toss the salad components together. I use bagged coleslaw mix but you can certainly slice and dice the cabbage on your own. Slice the onion in slivers where it will mellow in flavor as it melds with the dressing.
Make the dressing. I use a glass jar with a fitted lid to shake the ingredients together. A slither of honey sweetens the dressing poured over the crunchy slaw with slivers of red onion and freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
Toss it all and let it sit. If cilantro is not your thing, you can always give good old flat-leaf parsley a go or leave it out altogether.
Recipe Ideas to Serve With Your Coleslaw
You’ve made this yummy coleslaw, but now what to serve it with?
- Quick and Easy Homemade Chile Verde Burritos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Creamy Avocado Sauce
- The BEST Carnitas
- Mango Margarita with Chile Salt and Lime
- Refried Beans
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Easy Mexican Coleslaw
- 1 14-ounce package prepared coleslaw mix
- ¼ small red onion , thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves , chopped
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 limes , juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic , pressed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 dashes hot sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the colelsaw mix with the sliced onion and chopped cilantro. In a small bowl or jar with a fitted lid, mix the canola oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, cumin, oregano, coriander, hot sauce, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper. Pour over the coleslaw mixture and toss. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. This recipe is best eaten day of, but can be refrigerated overnight.
More Coleslaw Recipes to Try
- How to Make the Best Creamy Coleslaw
- Easy Coleslaw Dressing
- Sweet Vinegar Coleslaw (No Mayo)
- Kale and Cabbage Coleslaw with Marcona Almonds
- Celery Slaw With Apple and Blue Cheese
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.