This easy homemade coleslaw dressing gives the crunchy classic cabbage salad a tangy bite with creamy mayonnaise and cider vinegar’s zing.
The BEST Coleslaw Dressing
Backyard barbecue and summer potlucks wouldn’t be the same without a classic coleslaw salad on the table. It’s the perfect side car to grilled chicken, grilled salmon, my very favorite garlic burgers, and is a necessity when it comes to pulled pork sandwiches.
I make my creamy coleslaw recipe with this same homemade dressing, but it can be used for even more than just lushing up cabbage, and that’s why it’s worthy of a recipe post of its own.
I eat coleslaw dressing on basic crunchy iceberg salads with cucumber and tomato, or drizzled on baked potatoes instead of sour cream. And it makes an awesome dip for fresh veggies on a platter or to dip in for a snack.
Some creamy coleslaw dressings use a combination of sour cream and mayonnaise with flavorings that run the gamut of grated onion to worcestershire sauce to mustard and lemon juice.
But why go through all those paces? Let’s keep this dressing simple.
Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
This homemade coleslaw dressing is made of a few basic ingredients you’ll find in your refrigerator:
- Mayonnaise: Use a good quality brand. If you want to try a “light” coleslaw dressing version, know that it may be more watery. If using salad dressing here, omit the sugar below.
- Cider vinegar: The tang of cider vinegar is stronger than white vinegar and is best used here.
- Sugar: A small amount of sugar balances the pucker of the vinegar and mayo.
- Celery salt: This herb gives the dressing it’s distinct flavor.
- Green onion: Onion adds the heat and a bite of spice to this dressing and is more mellow than regular yellow or white onions.
- Fresh parsley: I always use flat leaf parsley but curly parsley gives the needed brightness too.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper: Kosher salt’s larger granules make this salt less iodine tasting, and better flavored.
How to Make Coleslaw Dressing
There’s not much work to go into this dressing besides a minute or two of chopping then giving it a good, thorough stirring so everything melds together nicely.
Add more salt and pepper to taste, and if you like a really crunchy dressing, add a little more green onion to boot.
How to Store Coleslaw Dressing
This creamy coleslaw dressing will keep up to 5 days in the fridge. Store it in an air-tight container to keep it from absorbing fridge smells.
see more: 30 Healthy Summer Potluck Salads to Make Now
Tips for Making the Best Coleslaw Dressing
The dressing makes enough for a 1-pound package of coleslaw cabbage mix and will keep for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. Make it ahead of time for your backyard party then dress the cabbage mix 30 minutes before serving for the flavors to mix and mingle.
If you want to get fancy, add chopped apple or grapes, nuts or sunflower seeds.
Note that healthier mayo substitutions, like Greek yogurt or vegan mayo, may alter the taste and texture of this easy coleslaw dressing.
More Coleslaw Recipes to Try
- How to Make the Best Creamy Coleslaw
- Easy Mexican Coleslaw Recipe
- Kale and Cabbage Coleslaw with Marcona Almonds
- Quick Korean Spicy Slaw
- Sweet Vinegar Coleslaw
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram or Twitter with #foodiecrusheats.
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 green onions , chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves , chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sugar, cider vinegar, celery salt, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, chopped onions and chopped parsley. Whisk well.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Use this as the dressing in my Creamy Coleslaw recipe.
More Potluck Salad Recipe Ideas to Make Now
- How to Make the Best Potato Salad
- How to Make Classic Macaroni Salad
- Greek Salad with Avocado
- Asian Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe
- Creamy Yogurt Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Classic Shrimp Macaroni Salad Recipe
Craving more life balance, less stress, and better health? Check out my Nourished Planner, the daily planner to help create simplicity and under-schedule your life.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for more FoodieCrush inspiration.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
I find creamy coleslaw goes bad. Vinegar coleslaw keeps forever and is a probiotic.
If you eat it one day too long, food poisoning.
It looks like a crunchy flowers bloom for romantic dinner beside the candlelight.hihi. I will try it for the next dating night with my love. He will be supposed to be surprised by this one.
Is the Nutritional Information (as shown) for 1 serving of the dressing? If so, Holy Moly, and no thank you!
Craving more life balance, less stress, and better health? Of course. How to balance my life without salad and some more dressing? Thanks for sharing easy, healthy and yummy salad.