Served on the rocks or stirred into a cup of hot coffee, homemade Baileys Irish cream makes the perfect boozy-spiked drink.
Most days call for a strong cup of coffee. Some days call for a little something more. And these days…well, they call for a whole lot more. Homemade Baileys Irish cream cures it all. It’s creamy, sweet but spiked, and definitely takes the edge off.
The first time I had homemade Irish cream was when my sister in law made it and gave it as Christmas gifts. Over the years, I’ve followed suit, making and bottling the perfect DIY gift for any Christmas or New Years morning.
Baileys Irish cream tastes like a sweet coffee drink and feels especially appropriate for sipping at brunch or as an after dinner treat. Simple and fast to make, this less expensive, homemade alternative to store-bought brand Irish cream liqueur will have you skipping the liquor store and making it at home instead.
What’s In Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
My sister in law’s recipe called for raw eggs to provide the creaminess. Now more than 20 years later and armed with a heightened awareness of food safety, I’ve subbed in sweetened condensed milk for the eggs and of course, cream for more creaminess.
Here’s what you’ll need for the recipe:
- Heavy cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Irish whiskey
- Chocolate syrup
- Vanilla extract
What Type of Whiskey to Use
Keeping in line with authenticity, I use an Irish whiskey in Irish Cream. Because it uses both malted and unmalted barley, Irish whiskey differs from Scotch whiskey that uses only malted whiskey. Jameson and Bushmills are some of the more familiar brands, but a bespoke brand would be excellent to try too.
How to Make Homemade Irish Cream
There really isn’t anything challenging or hard about making Irish cream at home. As long as you’re over the age of 21, it’s totally easy (just sayin’).
Simply combine all of the ingredients and whisk well. I use a 4 cup glass container for measuring, mixing, and pouring. Be sure to get into the corners when whisking well.
Don’t be afraid of this liquor’s bold booze flavor. Because this liquor is often used as a flavoring, it’s potency is real, with whiskey at the forefront in all the best ways. Don’t skimp on the amount of booze or your final drink could taste taste limp or tepid, and more like a milk shake instead of a cocktail.
If doubling the batch, use a blender to whisk the ingredients together. Just 1-2 minutes in a blender will ensure your boozy batch is well combined.
How Much Does This Recipe Make?
A single batch of this recipe makes about 3 ¾ cup, or almost 28 ounces. Feel free to double or triple the recipe as needed.
How to Serve Irish Cream
Chocolatey and creamy, my favorite way to enjoy this homemade Baileys Irish cream is straight poured over ice. It’s a comforting sipper with the strong whiskey taste tempering as the ice melts into the velvety drink.
Or, if heading into weekend brunch mode, spiking coffee with Irish cream is pure joy. Plan on packing a flask when camping, skiing, or any time you’re craving that warm feeling.
Does Homemade Irish Cream Need to Be Refrigerated?
This homemade Irish cream mix should be refrigerated after mixing so the cream doesn’t curdle even though the alcohol contributes to it’s stabilization. Plus, it’s best enjoyed chilled IMHO, so why not keep it in the fridge to enjoy at a moment’s notice?
How to Make It a DIY Christmas Gift
What you’ll need to make this a very joyful Christmas gift, for neighbors, family, or friends:
- Wash and sterilize an 8 ounce bottle with stopper or top. I like these bottles for their sturdiness.
- Fill with homemade Irish cream.
- Tie with red and white kitchen twine or ribbon, adorned with a sprig of greens, holly, or other festive flair.
- Refrigerate until ready to gift.
What to Serve With Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
- My Mom’s Easy Homemade Fudge (for the best breakfast!)
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Baked French Toast
- Deep-Dish Spinach, Leek and Bacon Quiche
- How to Serve a DIY Bagels and Lox Brunch Bar
- French Toast Casserole with Maple Bacon and Pecans
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Homemade Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 6-8 ounces Irish whiskey , to taste (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk all ingredients in a large measuring cup or glass decanter. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until cold. Serve on ice or with coffee for a tasty, boozy, chocolate treat. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
More Boozy Drink Recipe Ideas
- The Best Bloody Mary Recipe (+ Build Your Own Bloody Mary Bar)
- Pomegranate Martini Recipe
- How to Make the Perfect Mimosa
- Tequila Sunrise Cocktail
- How to Make a Blended Iced Mocha spike it with homemade Irish cream!
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.