About the recipe1. Use store-bought cinnamon swirl bread to add an extra layer of flavor. Bonus: The bread I used had a sugary topping that simply added to the sweetness of the dish. 2. No need to break up the bread into pieces, go ahead and layer the slices whole with crusty bottoms of slices alternately stack with the golden top crusts. 3. I use a deep-dish lasagna pan so I can use 4 layers of bread 4. Like banana bread, go ahead and use those almost too ripe bananas to enhance the banana flavor 5. Prepare the night before, but remember to pull from the fridge a half hour to bring to room temperature before going into the oven If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Banana and Chocolate Chip Baked French Toast with Oatmeal Crumble
- 2 loaves sliced cinnamon swirl bread , about 24 slices
- 2 ripe bananas , sliced
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup butter , melted and cooled plus 1 tablespoon for greasing pan
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup butter , at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Generously grease a 9 X 13-inch deep-dish casserole dish with 1 tablespoon of butter. Place a layer of bread slices alternating direction of bottom crusts and top crusts to outside of pan. Add a layer of bananas and chocolate chips. Repeat 2 more times ending with layer of bread.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, milk, butter and vanilla together. Slowly pour over bread layers making sure to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl combine oatmeal, butter and brown sugar and mix into clumps with your fingers. Top casserole with oatmeal clumps. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove casserole from refrigerator and bring to room temperature, about a half an hour. Bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes or until edges are bubbling and top is golden. Remove and let set for 5 minutes and serve.