This hearty, filling slow cooker egg casserole recipe with Mediterranean flavors, goat cheese, and prosciutto is simple to put together and can be assembled the night before so it’ll cook while you sleep!
This Slow-Cooker Mediterranean Egg Casserole is one of my secret weapons for holiday breakfasts. It’s full of big Mediterranean flavor from ingredients like prosciutto, sun-dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts, and is so easy to make thanks to the slow cooker. It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch for a crowd, so it’s often my go-to during the holidays when we’re hosting family. It’s a hit every time. Planning ahead is key to surviving the holidays, and that works in tandem with the slow cooker here (thank goodness for work horse, effort-saving appliances).
This slow cooker egg casserole is hearty, filling and simple to pull together, making it the quintessential trifecta for holiday cooking. The ingredients aren’t going to pass expiration in a hurry and it’s mostly takes some simple chopping and a bit of sautéing before the slow cooker steps up.
I am a huge fan of the Mediterranean flavors in this breakfast casserole. Artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, spinach and mushrooms are my go-to ingredients whether loaded in a quinoa salad, stuffed in chicken or twirled in pasta like a ballerina in her partners arms. Here I’ve used hash browns straight from the freezer to create a crustless quiche to the eggy slow-cooker soufflé.
About the Recipe
To make this casserole a whole lot easier to serve, I used a disposable slow-cooker liner insert. It makes it easy to pull out of the finished shaped dishes shaped like pie, and it’s a whole lot easier to control when transferring to a plate. If you don’t have a liner, be sure to generously spray the inside of your crock with cooking spray before cooking and use a large spoon to ladle out servings.
While there’s plenty of flavor in this casserole thanks to the veg-heavy ingredient list, I still felt like my eggs could use a dab of tang to bring out the complimentary flavors. So I took a page from my Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole playbook and added smooth mustard to the egg mix before adding the milk. For this dish I always use whole milk or half-and-half rather than skim so the eggs come out creamy and custard-like and simply eggcellent.
Swiss cheese adds a little more melted creaminess to this dish. You could substitute white cheddar, fontina or havarti if you’d like instead. But our cheese trail doesn’t end here because more cream and more tang comes into play with big chunks of goat cheese on top.
Crisped prosciutto gives the egg casserole a salty bite. I usually crisp up more than I need, then serve it on the side for those that love a bacon bite.
This slow-cooker meal can be assembled the night before, then set to cook while you sleep. All slow cookers cook a little differently so gauge your doneness by how set up the top is. If it’s still runny, it’s not done yet.
When it’s done, I pull from the slow cooker and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing into servings. Then I garnish with basil leaves and voila! Breakfast is served.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Egg Casserole
- 2 ounces prosciutto , cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 red bell pepper , seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 16 ounces Diced Hash Brown Potatoes
- One 10 ounce box frozen chopped spinach , thawed and well squeezed
- 1 cup frozen artichoke hearts , thawed and quartered
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , drained and chopped
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar and Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups whole milk
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Line a 4-quart slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner and spray with cooking spray. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook the prosciutto slices until crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.2
- Melt the butter in the same pan and cook the mushrooms and red bell peppers until softened, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the potatoes into the slow cooker and top with layers of half of the mushroom and bell pepper mixture, then half of the spinach, artichoke hearts and sun-dried tomatoes. Sprinkle half of the cheddar and Swiss cheese over the vegetables and repeat with the rest of the veggies, cheddar and Swiss cheeses. Top with chunks of the goat cheese.
- In a 4-cup glass measuring cup, whisk the eggs with the mustard. Whisk in the milk. Season to taste, then pour evenly over the layers of veggies and cheese. Top with the crisped prosciutto.
- Cook for 8-10 hours on low, or 4-5 hours on high, or until eggs are set Remove liner from the slow cooker and let sit for about 10 minutes, then remove liner. Slice and serve with fresh basil.
For more inspiration, check out these easy breakfast egg bakes and casseroles.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.