Oven roasted asparagus is a healthy, fast and easy side dish that goes with just about anything on your table. And it’s even good for snacking straight from the fridge!
Easy Roasted Asparagus
No matter what type of diet you follow, asparagus is a good addition to it, and obviously good for you too. It’s high in fiber, loaded with nutrients, and won’t spike glucose levels like carrots or potatoes can after you eat it.
But the even better part about enjoying asparagus is that it’s an incredibly easy side dish to prepare with a quick roast in the oven.
And of course it’s a great side dish to any main meal dinner, making it a simple side dish work horse everyone loves.
5 Fun Facts about Asparagus
- Asparagus is high in several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin k, vitamin E, folate, and fiber, and it also helps regulate blood sugar.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, including glutathione, which fights cancer, protects your skin from pollution and sun damage, and also slows down the aging process (yes, please).
- It has a high water content and is a natural diuretic.
- Speaking of, um what’s up with asparagus making our pee smell so funky? Well, turns out this veg contains asparagusic acid and when we start to digest asparagus, the acid is broken down into a group of sulfurous compounds (hence the offensive scent). #worthit
- Back in the day (like ancient times), asparagus was regarded as an aphrodisiac. Smelly pee and all. Who knew?
How to Season Asparagus
When asparagus is roasted, it caramelizes and becomes sweetly delicious. In fact, it’s so good it doesn’t need much added to it at all. All you need for roasting asparagus is:
- a sheet pan
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a hot oven
- a squeeze of fresh lemon
How to Roast Asparagus
Cooking asparagus in the oven couldn’t be simpler! I’ve outlined the basic steps below, but keep scrolling for more detailed instructions in the recipe card below.
Line your baking sheet with foil. This makes for super fast clean up.
Toss on your sheet. There’s no need to dirty another dish. Drizzle the olive oil directly on your asparagus and season with the salt and pepper, then toss with your hands before roasting.
Use high heat. Roasting caramelizes the sugars in the asparagus for a super delicious spear. Adjust your roasting time depending on the thickness of your spears.
Brighten up the flavors. Once the roasted asparagus comes out of the oven, immediately squeeze a little lemon juice on top to brighten up the flavors and round out the dish.
How Long to Roast Asparagus?
Depending on how thick your asparagus spears are, you’ll need to roast them for 8 to 10 minutes in a 450ºF oven.
Ways to Dress Up Your Roasted Asparagus
If you want to add more flavor to your oven roasted asparagus, consider adding these ingredients:
- savory umami salty cheeses like Parmesan, feta, or flue cheese
- garlic bread crumbs
- garlic butter
- brown butter with nuts
- minced prosciutto with shallots
- caprese flavors of roasted tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and basil
- chopped eggs and capers
- easy blender hollandaise
Can I Prep Roasted Asparagus in Advance?
Absolutely! Oven roasted asparagus tastes delish warm or at room temperature, so this is a great make-ahead side dish if you have people coming over for dinner. You can also repurpose the leftovers so many ways.
More Roasted Asparagus Tips (pun intended)
Is asparagus better thick or thin? Ah, the debate that rages on…with no right answer. With roasted asparagus, you’ll find a sweeter bite, so both sizes taste delicious.
Look for the freshest stalks you can find. Choose bright green stalks that are firm and fresh. While asparagus is more readily available in spring, you can typically find good quality year round.
Trim your asparagus. Back in the day I would bend each individual stalk of asparagus until it snapped to discard the woody stem, about one inch up from the bottom of the stalk. These days I just line them up and chop off the ends with a sharp knife.
More Easy Asparagus Recipes to Make
- Scrambled Egg And Roasted Asparagus Toasts
- Mustard Salmon Sheet-Pan Dinner
- Spicy Smashed Avocado & Asparagus With Dill Havarti Grilled Cheese
- Broiled Miso Cod With Vegetables
- The Best Grilled Asparagus
- Creamy Asparagus and Salmon Pasta
- Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Oven Roasted Asparagus
Oven roasted asparagus is a fast, healthy and easy side dish that goes with just about anything on your dinner table and is great for meal prep too.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus , trimmed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon , juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Place asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil, coating spears evenly.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness of spears) until tender.
Squeeze with fresh lemon and serve warm or at room temperature.
- I use my toaster oven to save time and energy when cooking roasted asparagus.
More Vegetable Side Dishes You’ll Love
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- Rosemary Garlic Butter Smashed Potatoes
- Miso Roasted Butternut Squash
- The Best Oven Roasted Crispy Potatoes
- Baked Balsamic Vegetables
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Craving more life balance, less stress, and better health? Check out my Nourished Planner, the daily planner to help create simplicity and under-schedule your life.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.