This simple toast stacked with protein from ricotta cheese, hard-boiled egg, and smoked salmon makes for a supreme breakfast, brunch, lunch, or snack.
This ricotta toast is an all-star treat for me. Perfect for breakfast, brunch, or when the lunch hangrys hit, its balanced flavor totally delivers. Herby ricotta gets spread on toasted French bread for perfectly velvety bites that complement the crispy bread’s tender crunch. It’s topped with slices of creamy hard-boiled egg with salty flecks of smoked salmon that taste straight-up great together. I like mine topped with even more minced red onion and sprinkles of the herbs used in the ricotta. I then finish it off with a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice that cuts through the richness of the egg and ricotta. The result? Luscious layers of greatness.
What’s in Ricotta Toast with Smoked Salmon and Egg
- French bread—I buy mine from a local bakery, a combo of soft French bread and sturdy sourdough I just love
- Ricotta cheese—a good quality brand that isn’t dry or chalky makes all the difference. I like Belgioso
- Fresh dill and chives
- Lemon zest and lemon juice
- Smoked salmon—you can use lox for a non-smoked flavor instead
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Smoked salmon
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Red onion
First, Mix the Herbed Ricotta
I use ricotta in my cheesy lasagna and dolloped on this roasted beet salad, making them both extra luxe. But when it’s mixed with plenty of chopped herbs and a touch of citrus, that’s when ricotta really stands out.
In this recipe, any combo of fresh spring herbs will work. Here I chose chives and dill that match the smoked salmon well, but mint and basil would be tasty too.
Season the ricotta with salt and pepper. Kosher salt really brings out the subtle flavor in the cheese, and freshly ground black pepper is a must.
Lemon zest with juice gives the cheese zing. Add both zest and juice to the mix. Lemon zest is more flavor intense while the juice makes the ricotta smooth.
Make ricotta cheese extra fluffy by whipping it in the food processor or blender. Ricotta cheese aerates to become light and fluffy when it gets a spin.
Toast the Bread
You could certainly use any type of bread, but crusty French bread is my favorite. Sourdough, rye, or even wheat toast works well too.
Next Up, Add Sliced Hard Boiled Egg
For years I had the toughest time cooking eggs that peeled effortlessly. I finally figured out the exact method and hard-boiled egg cooking times that make this task simple every time.
To get a cleanly sliced hard-boiled egg, I LOVE this durable aluminum egg slicer.
Top With Smoked Salmon
Pile the egg with paper-thin slices of smoked salmon or lox. What’s the difference? Lox is cured in a salty spice blend whereas smoked salmon may or may not be cured but is always smoked for a lightly smoked flavor. Either one works here.
I like to pile my salmon slices in ribbons for a pretty presentation, plus a meatier bite.
Finish With More Herbs, Minced Onion, and Lemon
Choose herbs that complement fish. Fresh dill, chives, and minced onion go on top of this bread. I’ve also used capers and minced green olive. Or, give it a slather of avocado if you’re feeling it.
Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. A little acid cuts the richness of the ricotta, egg, and salmon. It’s the bright bite to this toast.
More Toasts and Egg Sandwich Recipes to Try
- Avocado Toast with Hard Boiled Egg and Tomato
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- Curried Egg Salad Sandwich
- Caprese Avocado Toast
- Melted Mozzarella Caprese Toasts
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Smoked Salmon With Ricotta and Egg Toasts
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 lemons , one zested and juiced and one quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 teaspoon minced red onion
- Toast the French bread. Whip the ricotta cheese with the chopped chives, and dill. Stir in the juice and zest from one lemon with the kosher salt and pepper. Spread the toast with ¼ cup of the ricotta mixture per slice, then top with egg slices and smoked salmon. Sprinkle with more herbs, minced onion, and a little more pepper, if desired. Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.
More Salmon Brunch Ideas
- DIY Lox and Bagels Bar
- Salmon and Bagel Egg Benedict
- Poached Salmon with Creamy Mustard Dill Sauce
- Puff Pastry with Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese
- How to Make the Best Grilled Salmon
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter for more FoodieCrush inspiration.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
Rate & Comment