What is Arugula?Arugula (known as rocket in Europe), is a leafy green cruciferous vegetable that looks similar to spinach but has a fresh, peppery taste. Arugula is high in fiber, folate, phytochemicals, and antioxidants, similar to broccoli, kale, and Brussels sprouts. I love arugula in so many recipes and have used it in loads of ways, such as:
- a substitute for basil in this arugula pesto
- a tasty topping on pizza added after it’s been baked (my favorite way to eat pizza!)
- and as the main leaf in my favorite caprese salad
What’s in This Arugula Salad?The base of this simple salad is just fresh arugula and shaved Parmesan, and the dressing just contains 3 ingredients (plus kosher salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper). Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make This Arugula Salad
First, make the dressing. This rocket salad’s easy vinaigrette dressing isn’t even so much of a dressing as it is a mixture. I took a page from the technique often used in Caesar salads, and mixed this 3-ingredient dressing in the same bowl the salad is tossed in.
Add the arugula. After the dressing is mixed, the arugula leaves are tossed into the bowl, too. This method gives a lighter touch to the dressed leaves and helps to avoid a heavy salad where the leaves all clump together.Season and serve. Seasoned with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, you could totally stop here and serve.
What Pairs Well with ArugulaArugula is a peppery green that lends itself well to many dishes and a variety of flavors. Here are some recipes I love serving this arugula salad with:
- Cacio e Pepe
- Dijon Chicken
- Mediterranean Pizza
- Chicken Marsala Gnocchi
- Easy Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
- Lemon Chicken Thighs with Artichokes
Tips for Making the Best Arugula Salad
- If rinsing the arugula before tossing it with the dressing, be sure to use a salad spinner to shake off any excess moisture. You don’t want to wind up with a soggy arugula salad!
- You can also use shredded Parmesan if you don’t have shaved Parmesan on hand. Just be sure to get good-quality Parm, and not the powdery stuff in a shaker can.
- If prepping this salad ahead of time, store the dressing separately until ready to serve.
More Easy Salad Recipes to Try
- Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Chicken
- Superfood Salad with Lightened-Up Poppy Seed Dressing
- Caesar Salad with Garlic Croutons
- Classic Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
- The Best Caprese Salad
Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups arugula
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper.
- Add the arugula to the bowl and toss. Top with the shaved Parmesan and more pepper taste. Makes 4 cups.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave long ribbons of fresh Parmesan cheese for this easy side salad.
More Arugula Salad Recipes to Make Now
- Avocado and Arugula Caprese Salad
- Citrus Shrimp, Avocado and Arugula Salad
- Tuscan Tuna and White Bean Salad
- Arugula Salad With Pesto Shrimp, Parmesan And White Beans
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad