In the time it takes to toast a slice of bread, you can have a microwave egg breakfast sandwich loaded with vegetables and creamy cheese.
Microwave Egg and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
Back when I worked in an office, I rarely ate breakfast before work. It wasn’t that it was a running-out-of-time-oh-hell-I’m-going-to-be-late thing, I mostly waited to eat breakfast because my stomach wasn’t crying out in hunger so I figured I could wait a little longer ’til it spoke up. Plus, making breakfast was a nice little diversion that took me away from my desk for a mid-morning break.
Because they stick with me longer, I like eggs for breakfast more than most anything else. So after I finished my morning office round-about-routine I would make my eggs right there in the office break room, not on the stove, but in the microwave and toaster instead.
What’s In This Microwave Egg Sandwich
This egg breakfast sandwich takes only minutes to make. Depending on what you have on hand or what you’re craving, you can pretty much make it with whatever ingredients you like.
Here’s my typical breakfast sandwich:
- 1 everything seasoned bagel thin
- ¾ cup egg whites, or 1 whisked egg
- Small handful of spinach leaves
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow herb & garlic cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 2-4 slices avocado
- Kosher salt and black pepper
How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich
Pop the bagel thin in the toaster to become lightly golden. If you prefer English muffins or toast, those will work just fine too.
Cook the eggs in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. Place the eggs or egg whites in a small microwave-proof bowl, whisk, season with salt and pepper and add the spinach to the eggs. Cook in the microwave on HIGH setting for 1 minute 30 seconds. The egg whites puff up pretty high, above the lip of a small bowl, but as soon as the time is over, they deflate right away. Your micro might cook hotter—or it may not—so do a test run setting the cooking time for 1 minute then adding more time if needed. After making them a few times you’ll know exactly the right cooking time for your size bowl.
Spread the warm bagel thin with cheese. Because it came in individual servings and was low calorie, I liked using Laughing Cow herb and garlic cheese wedges. Or, try a soft flavored cream cheese or goat cheese instead. Anything that melts easily from the warmth of the bagel will work.
Add the egg and top with vegetables. A slice or more of avocado, tomato and even onion add more healthful ingredients that will fill you up.
Other Ingredient Ideas
These breakfast sandwiches can really include any favorite ingredient you want to add and whatever you have on hand.
- For convenience and no egg shells to deal with, I like using egg whites from the carton in this sandwich. Whole eggs are also delish, but they won’t have as much loft after cooking.
- For a saltier bite with umami, I like to add grated Parmesan cheese to the eggs before cooking in the microwave. Other times I spread a bit of goat cheese or even cambazola cheese on the toasted bagel thin to give it a quick melt.
- I usually add fresh spinach, but some days I’ll toss in red bell pepper, mushrooms, or diced onion into the cooking egg pool.
- And there’s almost always a dose of hot sauce or Cholula to top it all off.
I no longer have an office I have to drive to for making my morning breakfast sandwich in, and that makes this healthy breakfast sandwich all the tastier.
More Breakfast Sandwich Ideas
- Avocado Toast with Tomato and Hard Boiled Egg
- Healthy Homemade Egg McMuffin
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Sandwiches
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich
- Ham and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- Healthy Caprese Breakfast Sandwich
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
60 Healthy Breakfast Ideas When There's No Time to Eat | Microwave Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 Everything bagel thin
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 10-15 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 wedge Laughing Cow Herb & Garlic Cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 2-4 slices avocado
- kosher salt
- Cholula hot sauce
- Toast the bagel thin in the toaster. In a small bowl (I used disposable bowls at the office), whisk the egg whites and add the spinach leaves then season with kosher salt. Cook on HIGH in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, keeping an eye on the eggs so they don’t overflow.
- Spread a wedge of the cheese on the toasted bagel thin and add slices of tomato. Spoon the cooked egg out of the bowl in a single patty and place on top of the cheese and tomato, and top with avocado. Season with more salt and hot sauce if desired.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Asparagus and Mushroom Frittata with Goat Cheese
- Best Ever Healthy Granola Recipe
- Cherry Berry and Banana Overnight Oats
- How to Make Poached Eggs the Easy Way
- Microwave Egg Caprese Breakfast Cups
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.