German Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 ¼ cup pecans , coarsely chopped
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 3 bananas , very ripe and mashed well (about 1½ cups)
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs , beaten lightly
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 plus 2 tablespoons cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, toast the chopped pecans until fragrant and lightly browned, about 4 minutes, stirring often. Add 1 cup of the pecans to a large bowl and set the additional ¼ cup of pecans aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and toast the coconut, for about 3-4 minutes until fragrant, stirring often. Add ½ cup of the coconut to the bowl with the pecans and set the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut to the reserved pecans.
- To the large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and table salt and whisk together.
- In a medium bowl mix the mashed bananas, yogurt, eggs, butter, vanilla, and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Gently fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top of the bread with the reserved pecans, coconut, and chocolate chunks or chips.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean and the top is golden brown. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature with a cold glass of milk.
- adapted from The New Best Recipe Cookbook from Cook's Illustrated
More Banana Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Classic Banana Bread
- The Best Banana Bread Pancakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip French Toast
- Cherry Berry and Banana Overnight Oats
- Slow Cooker Baked Oatmeal with Bananas & Nuts
Bad weather during the quarantine means my son and I get to do some baking once the homework is done. The German Chocolate Banana Bread might take the title.
Ashley @ Foodie Crush
Glad you loved this!
I want to say your aticle is ver very great wow.
This is such a beautiful banana bread! It baked well and will be on the docket for future bakes (gotta use up the coconut somehow :)). Thanks for the recipe!
It looks heavenly!! I so want to make this, but I don’t eat eggs.. do you think I can replace egg with something here?
Sorry Deepika, I have no idea, I only make it with eggs.
Essay Writing Service
My friend recommended this blog and he was totally right keep up the good work
ColdFusion Homework Help
The leading assignment help UK firm offers state of the art services to its clients with a promise of delivering all the required work well within the deadline.
Thanks for sharing nutrition recipe. Really appreciating.
This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a good and useful information here in the blog for students.
I am so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs.
This looks and sounds so delicious! I must try! Thanks for posting!
hotmail sign out
Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive. I think there are many people like and visit it regularly, including me.I actually appreciate your own position and I will be sure to come back here
gmail log out
Well thanks for posting such an outstanding idea. I like this blog & I like the topic and thinking of making it right.
I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
jess larson | plays well with butter
i love this idea for a german chocolate twist on banana bread! the dark chocolate & toasty coconut are what dreams are made of!! xx
The flaked coconut is a lovely touch! I love banana bread, in fact I have tried a beer like this and it was lovely. Great recipe Heidi :)
oh this looks so yummy :D bananas aren’t my favorite though but still the nuts and chocolate chunks are something for which i can compromise my dislike for bananas :D A very good recipe :) :)
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Ooo! I wish I had a slice of this bread right now! It would be perfect with my afternoon cup of coffee.
Laura | Tutti Dolci
A chocolate upgrade is my kind of banana bread! This is pure perfection!
Oh my gosh, Heidi! This is looks absolutely incredible! And that last shot with the cut bread . I can’t get enough! Pinned :)