Easy shredded chicken tacos get a healthy veggie upgrade when diced zucchini is added in for a fast dinner or lunch any day of the week.
“So, Sara…what’s your mom fixing for dinner tonight?”
It was my running joke with my daughter’s friend when I drove them home from Tuesday night basketball practice.
“Ugh. Taaaccccos, again,” she typically replied. “I’m kind of sick of tacos.” But how one possibly be tired of tacos?
Tacos are fast and easy to pull together as a simple vegetarian meal (these fried avocado tacos are BEYOND!) or with any sort of protein added in: fish tacos, beef tacos, slow cooker pork tacos, and yep, even spaghetti tacos. They’re one of the ultimate what-to-do-with-the-leftovers meal-prep meals.
So while Sara might be tired of Taco Tuesday, it makes a whole lot of sense to me.
What’s in Shredded Chicken Tacos?
Any weeknight dinner is made a whole lot easier when you have a few basic ingredients ready-to-roll. I made these easy chicken tacos on a whim after rummaging through my fridge without a dinner plan. That’s where I found:
- A stash of zucchini in the crisper
- Instant Pot shredded chicken waiting on stand-by
- Pico de gallo at the ready
- A finally-ripe avocado ready to be scooped and sliced for topping
And then this meal came together in just 20 minutes.
Meal prepped chicken is such a time saver on weeknights. Simply cook it, then shred or dice it, and store it in an airtight container for 3-4 days. The beauty is it can be used in any number of dishes.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, prep your chicken one of my favorite ways:
With all of the ingredients handy, all that’s needed is a hot, non-stick pan and a little extra seasoning of cumin and chile powder.
see more: 31 Healthy Mexican Recipes to Make Now
How to Make Chicken Tacos
Chop the zucchini and cook it in an oiled skillet until it starts to brown and soften. Then throw in the shredded chicken and spices, and continue cooking until the chicken is warmed through (this should only take a few minutes).
Warm your tortillas, then top with the chicken and zucchini mixture and your taco toppings of choice. These healthy chicken tacos are a meal all on their own, but if you’re looking for something to serve with them you can’t go wrong with chips and homemade guacamole or rice and beans.
Tools Needed to Make Chicken Tacos
My Favorite Taco Toppings
Toppings are always the best part of the taco with fresh and flavor as the key, like:
- Pico de gallo
- Creamy avocado salsa verde
- Sliced avocado or deliciously chunky guacamole
- Sliced limes
- Cotija cheese
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Chopped onion
- Easy Mexican coleslaw
The world is your oyster — pick and choose whatever taco toppings you like! Don’t be afraid to experiment with whatever’s hanging around in your fridge. That’s how some of the best meals are created.
see more: 70 Cinco de Mayo Recipes to Make Now
Can I Use Other Veggies Besides Zucchini?
Heck yes! This is the ultimate clear out the fridge meal, so throw in any chopped veggies you have on hand.
Tips for Making Shredded Chicken Tacos
Whether it’s soft or hard, corn or flour, any tortilla or shell works well here. I like to spray street taco size flour tortillas with a little cooking spray, then crisp them in a non-stick skillet or in the toaster oven for a little crunch.
If you don’t have tortillas on hand, serve the shredded chicken and zucchini mixture over rice and transform these tacos into burrito bowls. Or serve in lettuce cups for extra crunch.
If your shredded chicken seems a bit dry before it goes into the skillet, add a tablespoon or two of water to the pan to moisten it up a bit. Just don’t add too much water, as you don’t want the chicken to make the tortillas soggy.
More Easy Taco Recipes to Make
- Breakfast Tacos
- Just Like Taco Bell Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Avocado Crema
- Grilled Steak Tacos
- Taco-Stuffed Avocados with Chipotle Cream
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Bookmark this recipe and leave a comment below, or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Shredded Chicken and Zucchini Tacos
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4-inch corn or flour tortillas or hard taco shells** (Use 6-inch taco shells if you can't find street taco size)
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Cotija cheese
- Sliced limes
- Heat the canola oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped zucchini and cook until the zucchini softens and begins to brown, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and season with the chile powder, cumin, and kosher salt and cook for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is warmed through.
- Spray the tortillas with cooking spray and toast in a toaster oven or in a hot skillet until crisp.
- Top with the chicken and zucchini and garnish with the pico de gallo, avocado, cilantro and cotija cheese with a squeeze of lime.
- *Make your own shredded chicken in the Instant Pot, the slow cooker, or use grilled or store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- **If you don't have tortillas on hand, serve the shredded chicken and zucchini mixture over rice and transform these tacos into burrito bowls. Or serve in lettuce cups for extra crunch.
More Mexican Dinner Recipe Ideas
- Beyond Easy Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- The Best Steak Fajitas
- Chipotle Shrimp Burritos with Simple Avocado Crema
- Quick and Easy Homemade Chile Verde Burritos
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Bowls
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Learn more about my printed day-planner Nourished Planner here, and sign up for free, emailed weekly meal plans.