Everywhere I look I’m seeing apples, squash and pumpkins. Fall’s earthly bounty is the equivalent of Christmas sugarplums dancing through food blogger’s heads.
It’s all set a serious craving for apples in my head, and my mouth. I’m craving them in every cookable form, from cupcakes to cider to applesauce to oven roasted. I just can’t quite decide what I want to make—and post—next. There are just too many delectable options.
I’m hoping this recipe for Apple French Toast will get my fire started. Smudge fell in love with it for her weekend breakfast and although apples are the predominate flavor going on here, I became seriously partial to the blueberries that had melted into the sweet apple topping. Who needs syrup when you have apple-ish caramel-ey goo?
Apple French Toast with Blueberries
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cream divided
- 1 Gala apple
- kosher salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 slices thick sliced bread
- In a medium sauté pan, melt 1 stick butter and add brown sugar. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons cream, stir and cook for an additional minute. Add apple and sprinkle of salt, cover with lid and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add blueberries and cover with lid again to keep warm and soften blueberries.
- Heat a fry pan over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon butter to melt. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, remaining 2 tablespoons cream, nutmeg and vanilla together until mixed well and frothy. Dredge bread in egg mixture on both sides and fry one or two pieces of bread at a time, flipping after 2-3 minutes each side.
- Top French toast slices with apple and blueberry mixture.
But until I get my apple menu-making figured out, I’ll keep perusing recipes online, finding inspiration from so many talented bloggers and more than likely becoming even more distracted by the deliciousness others have created.
Have a great weekend all, and check out this week’s Friday Faves.
1. You know how you can spot a foodie in a restaurant, when the camera phones whip out as soon as the food is delivered? This new free app lets you judge what’s good and what’s not and tell everyone about it.
2. I seriously have my head in the clouds. As in the virtual clouds. I belong to iCloud, transfer and store files on Dropbox and keep share documents in Google docs. I was a bit skeptical of Google’s update to Google Drive, but I must admit, I’m becoming a bit smitten since it allows me to create content on every device I own from my desktop to my laptop to my iPad to my iPhone and it’s stored all in one place. Download Google Drive here.
3. These elements of photography are happily repeated for every picture taker.
4. My secret tip for easy salad dressing
6. The perfect gift for your favorite cookie or doughnut dunker
7. It’s that time of year when parties will be coming ‘round hard and fast for the next 4-5 months. You know you want to throw a bang-up bash, but how much food should you plan on suplying to satisfy your hungry—and thirsty—guests so they don’t have to stop at Taco Bell for the ride home? This downloadable cheat sheet will make you look like the hostess with the mostess.
8. Yep, I’m back on the food log cycle because this winter I’m fitting back into my favorite ski pants. My favorite calorie counting app for keeping track of what goes in and what I put out.
9. I found the perfect pink pumpkin that will showcase Wenderly’s idea fabulously!
10. And because we sometimes find ourselves burning a thing or two, this report that 90% of homes have the wrong smoke detectors installed is a must see.
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,