Tomatoes, vinegar, pucker. I’m craving salty and fresh. And maybe a little smokey. But not your typical light-lunch salad, something with some girth.
I’m thinking summertime and fresh tomatoes, and that crusty bread from my new favorite find at the farmer’s market. I’m calling for summertime panzanella.
But not the typical panzanella, I’m creating a version of my summertime favorite sandwich, the BLT. A hipped-up version of the traditional BLT— with smokey thick pancetta, spicy arugula and a few sour notes from pickled capers. And of course I have to add in some crunchy cucumbers to satiate my husband’s salad desires.
Here’s my new fav version, and then try some of the spins on the classic below.
- 4 medium tomatoes chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large cucumber seeded and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 T capers
- 1/2 lb pancetta cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups day-old crusty white bread french or ciabatta, cubed
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T champagne or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup basil slivered
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, capers, basil and arugula.
- Over medium heat, brown pancetta in a frying pan. Remove pancetta from pan and retain 2 T of rendered fat. Smash garlic cloves and place in frying pan with pancetta fat, cook for 3 minutes until garlic is lightly browned. Remove from pan and discard. Add cubed bread to pancetta fat, mix and lightly toast. When toasted, add bread and pancetta tomato mixture. Mix olive oil and vinegar until emulsified, add salt and pepper to taste and dress. Serve immediately.
photo > Five and Spice
Five and Spice‘s heartier Winter Panzanella brings together beets, kale, squash and apple tossed with a maple-mustard-balsamic vinaigrette and with Emily’s addition of cubed smokey mozzarella, it’s a super satisfying meatless main meal.
photo > The Other Side of 50
This recipe is one that just might make me want to give brussels sprouts another try. Topped with an apple vinaigrette, The Other Side of 50‘s tangy combo of radicchio and brussels sprouts is crisped up with salty bacon bites and crunchy, herby croutons in Panettone Panzanella with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts
photo > The Hazel Bloom
Karen’s love for tomatoes and mozzarella inspired this twist on panzanella with The Hazel Bloom‘s Caprese Panzanella , a basic ingredient list that lets the veggies, bread and balsamic shine. Or as she calls it “non-soggy nirvana in a bowl.”
photo > Happy Yolks
Contrasting the sturdier ingredients most often found in panzanella, Happy Yolks Spring Panzanella brings a more delicate flavor to the dish with the likes of leeks, peas and fennel thanks to Kelsey & Shaun’s healthy and fresh CSA box.
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,