This light and healthy salad takes just 10 minutes with a sharp knife for a little slicing and chopping to pull together and is the perfect addition to any potluck barbecue.
Yes, I’m a meat eater—minus my 8 month stint as a wanna-be vegetarian a few years back. But for me, weekend barbecues aren’t really about what side of red meat is going to be charred to perfection on the bar-B. Instead I like to get little (or big) tastes of lots of different dishes, and sides are my favorite—creamy, crunchy or tangy.
A BBQ-side-dish-smorgasbord is more my style.
Nearly every summer weekend in our neck of the woods are always BBQ worthy with my husband wanting meat, meat and more meat—ribs, sausage, steaks…he’s not one to discriminate. So when he goes off the deep end in the smoked and grilled protein arena, I move into the side dish arena, where I usually lean toward the classic BBQ side dish: potato salad. Of which I have just a FEW recipes you can find here.
Until I’m in the mood for something with a few less calories and a lot of puckery flair like this Cherry Tomato and Hearts of Palm Salad.
This side dish was originally inspired by a deli case salad I used to get at Bristol Farms in Los Angeles. Dressed in a super, SUPER simple vinaigrette, it’s quick to pull together and minus the mayo and sour cream gooeyness, it can sit safely until the party moves from cheers to chow.
I recently remade it at my sister’s house while visiting her in Houston and it’s been on weekly rotation at our house ever since. I love the leftovers mixed in with fresh greens and whatever protein is left over from the night before’s BBQ.
Apparently I’m just efficient that way. Or I just wish to be.
If you haven’t tried hearts of palm or aren’t sure where to find them, I like the Sun Pix brand when I can find them. They’re budget friendly and never woody. Once sliced, rings of the hearts of palm will break apart so don’t get too aggressive with this salad and mix it gently.
If You Liked This Recipe, You’ll Like These:
- Greek Tomato Cucumber Salad with Crispy Chickpeas
- Avocado and Tomato Salad
- Roasted Tomato and Burrata Caprese Salad
Tomato and Hearts of Palm Salad
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 15- ounce can hearts of palm drained and sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced or shaved red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon red vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, hearts of palm, red onion and parsley in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper until sugar is dissolved. Pour vinaigrette over tomato mixture and gently mix. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Thanks for stopping by, have a great day and make something good.
As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.