For so many, this week cannot get over soon enough.
The focus has certainly been on the weather fiasco that has swept away homes and memories along the upper East Coast. With so many people who will be digging out from under Sandy’s destruction for some time ahead, it’s hard for those of us distanced from the front line to know exactly how to help. But there is a way to help, by simply going online and donating to relief efforts. And don’t forget about the animals, they’re in need too.
Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
- 4 to 4 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 canned chipotle pepper plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- zest of one orange
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes and place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, bring cream, butter and chipotle plus adobo sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mix with a hand-held mixer for 1 minute. Add cream mixture, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, salt and pepper and orange zest. Mix until well-combined and creamy. Add more syrup if needed.
- Serve with drizzle of remaining syrup if desired.