For so many, this week cannot get over soon enough.
The focus has certainly been on the weather fiasco that has swept away homes and memories along the upper East Coast. With so many people who will be digging out from under Sandy’s destruction for some time ahead, it’s hard for those of us distanced from the front line to know exactly how to help. But there is a way to help, by simply going online and donating to relief efforts. And don’t forget about the animals, they’re in need too.
Come this time next week, we’ll have chosen the man for the job of Prez. Do your duty, voting is a privilege that millions wish they had and could impact targeted spending to clean up future disasters.
In the meantime, here are a few of my faves from the week. I’ve added in a few more laughs than usual, just because so many of us need ‘em, starting off with a nod to compliment my recipe for Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes.
Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
- 4 to 4 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 canned chipotle pepper plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- zest of one orange
Peel and quarter sweet potatoes and place in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and cooked through.
Meanwhile in a small saucepan, bring cream, butter and chipotle plus adobo sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Drain potatoes and mix with a hand-held mixer for 1 minute. Add cream mixture, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, salt and pepper and orange zest. Mix until well-combined and creamy. Add more syrup if needed.
Serve with drizzle of remaining syrup if desired.
2. I baked my husband this cake for his birthday. We were at about 6,500 feet and it came out not at all like Annalise’s version. What happened to my cake? If only I would have had this handy dandy guide.
3. I use Google Chrome as my main web browser and love the apps feature it provides. This is my absolutely favorite app installed right into my browser bar so I can quickly and easily see all of my favorite food bloggers in living color.
4. Mushrooms. Pasta. Craving this now.
6. Browning beef doesn’t have to be all THAT serious, it’s more fun with some comic relief. (via @dineanddish)
7. Oh man, when can I move in?
9. What Bittman and Faricant have to say about food blogs, Instagram and whether the printed cookbook is an endangered species.
10. Tweet of the week: “Just saying but if I have to fill out the captcha code 4 times, you’re probably not going to get a comment from me.” (via @mtnmamacooks.) Me neither, just sayin’.
Here’s to November and a month of delicious eats. Have a good weekend yo!
Subscribe and have every FoodieCrush post delivered straight to your e-mail inbox