Hallelujah and haul out the tambourines. It’s National Grilled Cheese Month!
Grilled cheese. A brilliant choice by whoever is the event-of-the-month designator. Wouldn’t that be an awesome assignment? Deciding what is worthy of a whole month of celebrating? Job envy. Kinda like the guy that gets to choice the names of wall paint colors.
A whole month to say its okay and perfectly reasonable to eat grilled cheese every day.
I first discovered Grilled Cheese Month thanks to Clementine Bakery in West Los Angeles. Every April they celebrate the entire 30 days with 15 grilled cheese specials that make you say, “Whoa, I gotta get me some of that.”
From the Philly Cheespaocalypse to the Cuban Sandwich Crisis, these sandwich makers know how to put a spin on the traditional grilled cheese.
For the month of April I’ll be sharing my ode to the grand grilled cheese. Each week I’ll feature a cheesey compilation—pure melt-worthy goodness between golden pieces of toasty bread. Week one starts now.
Turkey and White Cheddar with Caramelized Onion & Grape Grilled Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- 12-15 red seedless grapes
- 1 tablespoon sage slivered
- 1 pound turkey deli meat shaved
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- salt and pepper
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until semi-transparent and caramelized. Add grapes and sauté for 5 minutes more. Add sage and remove from heat.
- Heat a skillet on medium. Butter one side of each piece of bread. On unbuttered side of 4 slices of bread layer 1/4 cup cheese, onion and grapes, 1/4 portion of turkey, 1/4 portion of arugula leaves and 1/4 cup more cheese. Place slice of bread on top, buttered side up, and grill in skillet until bread becomes golden. Flip sandwich once and cook until cheese melts and bread becomes golden. Cut in half and serve hot.
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,