This vegetarian Mediterranean bowl is filled with grilled vegetables and farro, then topped with a garlic yogurt sauce, kalamata olives, feta and hummus.
I’ve been working hard on keeping up with my weekly meal prep and grilled veggies are a weekly staple. They’re so easy to prepare, cook and have on hand for whatever comes up. Add them to omelets, or a one-man fritatta for breakfast. Pull them from the fridge for my Grilled Vegetable and Herbed Ricotta Sandwiches for lunch.
This farro bowl feast makes an amazing meatless dinner, but it’s also good to go for pretty much any time of day. Even for breakfast with a sunny side up egg on top. I can see that.
Nutty farro thanks to Bob’s Red Mill is one of my favorite grains. It’s filling and super healthy and one of the ancient grains of the Mediterranean.
Hummus is another Mediterranean fave and Sabra makes a great blend. Roasted Red Pepper is my favorite flavor but their new Lemon flavor is my new obsession. Try it as a dip for artichokes, it’s incredible. I used a big dollop for this recipe to add a creamy tang.
The drizzle of creamy, lemony, garlic flavor is thanks to Stonyfield’s Greek Yogurt with a bit of cucumber and fresh herbs. You’ll definitely want to add a bit more or less to your taste.
Finally, feta cheese, kalamata olives from DeLallo Foods, and a smattering of fresh herbs complete the meal.
This recipe makes enough for two bowls. Or, if you’re cooking for one, save the cooked veggies for another creation inspiration. There’s plenty out there.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Chopped Grilled Vegetable Bowl with Farro
- 1 cup dried farro
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and quartered
- 8 ounces asparagus
- ½ red onion , sliced
- 1 zucchini , sliced
- 1 yellow squash , sliced
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic , pressed
- 2 tablespoons minced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- Kosher salt
- Red bell pepper hummus
- ¼ cup kalamata olives , halved
- ⅛ cup feta cheese crumbles
- Rinse the farro in a colander under cold water then place in a saucepan with the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed by the farro, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill the vegetables, flipping once, until tender and grill marks appear. Pull from the grill and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, garlic, cucumber, lemon juice, fresh mint, and dill together. Season with salt to taste.
- Chop the grilled vegetables into bite size pieces. Split the farro into two bowls and layer with the grilled vegetables, a scoop of hummus in each bowl, half of the kalamata olives and feta cheese. Drizzle with the garlic yogurt sauce and fresh dill or mint. Serve warm or at room temperature.
As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.