I’m always keeping an eye out for a nugget of inspiration to create a new recipe, whether it’s from a local restaurant, a TV show, old family favorites or from definitely from friends.
So when my intern and I were working last week, talking shop about design, food and our never ending to-do list, we realized it was time for lunch. Over lunch is when she shared an idea for a recipe that her friend had mentioned to her, and she was having some major cravings.
Chicken Tzatziki Pizza.
I thought it was a brilliant idea since I could incorporate my favorite pizza topping: my beloved artichoke hearts. And of course, melty cheese.
I love pizza, and while I really like making my own dough for grilled pizza, sometimes my love for a quick and easy spin wins out, like my Pumpkin and Fried Sage Flatbread which uses flatbread in dough’s place.
Since this is a greek inspired pizza, a thick pita bread crust was pretty much a no-brainer. And how simple, right?
Topping the pitas with a slather of garlic infused tzatziki gives simple, whole ingredients a lush flavor-filled kick. Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes and spunky feta cheese fulfill its Greek goddess destiny. And please, please don’t forget the gooey mozzarella.
I just know once intern Annie sees this she’s going to request it for lunch next week. I think I can do that.
Chicken Tzatziki Pizza
For Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cucumber peeled, cut in quarters and seeded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- kosher salt
- 4 pieces Greek flatbread or pita breads
- Tzatziki sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded chicken breast
- ½ cup sliced kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup quartered artichoke hearts packed in water drained
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh dill for garnish
- red chili pepper flakes for garnish
To Prepare Tzatziki Sauce
- Add garlic, cucumber and dill to a the bowl of a food processor fit with a metal blade and chop ingredients. Add yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice and dill and pulse to blend. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate for one hour then serve.
To Prepare Pizza
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place pita breads domed side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Slather each bread with 1-2 tablespoons of tzatziki, then top each with with about 1/3 to ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Layer chicken breast, olives, tomatoes and artichoke hearts on top of the mozzarella then top with sprinkling of feta cheese and a sprinkle of oregano.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and feta cheese starts to turn golden. Remove, garnish with fresh dill sprigs, red chili flakes and more feta if desired, cut into quarters and serve.
There’s a myriad of other tastees to top this delicious sauce upon and these food bloggers have put their stamp on Tzatziki.
In my opinion burgers always need a saucey-sauce, but when Sonia gives a burger a fresh, healthy spin in The Healthy Foodie’s Quinoa Burger and Tzatziki Sauce, she shares a chunky topper that’s a true show-stopper.
Carolyn puts this creamy cucumber sauce straight to the top of the comfort food ladder with All Day I Dream About Food’s Feta-Stuffed Turkey Meatload with Tzatziki Sauce.
Paola melds flavorful and heart-healthy salmon with hearty bread and a glaze of tzatziki for #gnom-gnom’s Salmon ‘n Tzatziki (Ultimate) Sandwich.
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,