Smile and Say Cheese!Some cooks think cheddar is the standard for grilled cheese sandwiches. But harder cheeses like cheddar take longer to melt. Longer cooking times means more chance of burning. We all know what that tastes like. Softer cheeses like the mellower Havarti are better at the job. This buttery cheese is creamy and melts incredibly well. Judge for yourself with my Sweet Pear and Rosemary Honey with Havarti Grilled Cheese, Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese and my Raspberry and Chocolate with Almonds Grilled Cheese. I’ve purchased Arla Dofino’s Havarti Slices at Costco for years. It’s a Wisconsin cheese and wears the badge proudly in representing quality cheese-making with natural ingredients. No added hormones or preservatives yet it still lasts plenty long enough for our family of three to make it through the Costco size double pack well before it could think of going bad. I think it’s pretty impressive Arla Dofino cares for their product enough to package it for Costco just like the deli counter at my regular grocery store does, with paper dividing the delicate slices so they don’t stick to one another. Like everything, it’s all in the details.
About the RecipeI chose Arla Dofino’s Dill Havarti Slices for this sandwich because the dill fits in with my seasonal theme and lent an incredible flavor to the sandwich. Far more than I expected. Plus, the thin slices are the perfect thickness for maximum meltability. I roasted asparagus especially for making this recipe, but my more likely scenario is I’ll roast extra at dinner the night before, then use the leftovers for the sandwich the next day. I tested trimming the stalks of the asparagus before roasting versus not trimming, and honestly, trimming was a waste of time. Broiling these babies will simply melt away any toughness you may encounter. Don’t skip the last step of a squeeze of lemon. It adds a brightness to the sandwich that would be sorely missed. For the bread I wanted one that had a bit more texture to offset the smooth fillings. I chose an organic, super nutty whole wheat bread from Eureka! Baking Company with seeds and oats that are so pretty to photograph. And even better to eat. I am totally digging this bread for more than just this sandwich. It’s definitely getting topped with scrambled eggs. Oh, avvvvoooocado, how I love you. I’ve spiced it up with a pinch of cayenne and mashed it up with a fork so each bite is smooth and creamy and goes with each nutty bread bite. If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Spicy Smashed Avocado & Asparagus with Dill Havarti Grilled Cheese
- Preheat an oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees F. Place the asparagus spears on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roll the spears in the oil to coat then season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper then roast for 10-15 minutes or until the spears are tender. Remove, give a light squeeze of lemon, toss and cool.
- Place the avocado halves in a small bowl with the cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Smash roughly with a fork so the mix is still chunky.
- Spread ½ tablespoon of butter on one side of each slice of the bread, then stack the buttered sides together.
- Layer 1-2 slices of Arla Dofino Dill Havarti on the bread stack. Add half of the avocado mixture then layer asparagus spears to cover the bread. Top with 1-2 more slices of Dill Havarti on top.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Place the sandwich in the pan buttered side down and top with the other slice of bread. Cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bread on one side is golden.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and flip the sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and the cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch it carefully.
- Repeat with other sandwich.
- Cut in half and enjoy hot.
If You Love Grilled Cheese as Much as I do, You’ll Love These:
- French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Kennebunkport Lobster Grilled Cheese
- Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese
- Garlicky Avocado Grilled Cheese with Tomato Pesto
- Parmesan Crusted Fondue Grilled Cheese
- Fried Green Tomatoes Grilled Cheese Sandwich