Greek food and especially gyros are one of my favorite kinds of meals, but since I’m not much of a fan of lamb, it’s my marinated Greek chicken and chickpeas that adds the protein to this easy Greek gyro-style salad with a yogurt tzatziki sauce perfect for a meal prep lunch or dinner.
This Greek gyro chicken salad is one of those types of salads that makes a statement, declaring that Mediterranean dishes are just as good in a bowl as they are stuffed in a pita or grilled on a skewer.
This Greek salad is far from contrived, or uppity, or way too out there. It’s just a good, basic salad that covers all the major food groups. I love that this salad can be prepped ahead for take-to-work or school lunches—proven by my Ali Smudge who is obsessed with it.
On busy weeknights, it makes for a super fast dinner. It’s ready to roll for everyone at to eat together, or parceled out as your peeps filter in for meal time.
Because doesn’t it seem that’s more the case than ever these days?
How to Plan Ahead and Meal Prep This Salad
A little chopping and a can opener for the chickpeas swill get you pointed in the veggie department of salad making mode.
In fact, the only ingredient that takes much effort is my recipe for the Best Greek Marinated Chicken that’s lemony, garlicky and oregano flavored. And even better than that is it’s super simple to make. And yes, it is the best.
I typically prepare a few portions of the chicken once a week so I have it on hand. You can grill it, bake it, or pan fry it. I usually grill it for a little extra flavor then slice it up so it’s easy to access, and stick it in the fridge for eating.
see more: 30 Days of Healthier Salads that Make a Meal
One of my favorite styles of salad fixing is simply tossing all the mix and match ingredients onto a large plate or platter and letting everyone dig in.
Case in point are my Ultimate Italian Salad Platter and this Stunning Caprese Salad Platter that make parties and potlucks easy peasy.
Or if you’re single serving them you can create these as more composed salads, too.
see more: 31 Days of Weeknight Chicken Dinners to Make Now
Like all of my favorite free-form salads, these salad ingredients aren’t measured to exact quantities so you can portion out more or less of these classic Mediterranean flavors as your cravings desire:
- Feta cheese
- Kalamata olives
- Greek marinated chicken
- Crunchy romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion
- Toasted pita triangles
- Homemade tzatziki sauce
see more: 31 Vegetable Side Dishes to Make In 30 Minutes or Less
More Easy Greek-Inspired Recipes
- Pork Souvlaki With Lemon Rice
- Mediterranean Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Olive Tapenade
- Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Easy Greek Chicken Kebab Recipe
- Mediterranean Chicken Quinoa Bowl with Broccoli and Tomato
- Easy Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Greek Chicken Gyro Salad
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 8- ounce Greek Marinated Chicken Breast , sliced or chopped
- 1 15- ounce can garbanzo beans , drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- ½ avocado , chopped
- ¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 2 pita bread pockets
- Canola oil spray
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic , peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon each of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Homemade Tzatziki sauce for drizzling
- Add the lettuce to a large serving bowl and top with the sliced chicken, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, olives and red onion.
- Cut the pita breads into triangles and spray with canola oil. Sprinkle with paprika and toast until golden. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- To make the dressing add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper to a small canning jar. Top with the lid and shake well until blended and emulsified. Season with more sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to taste. Drizzle with the tzatziki as desired.
More Mediterranean Inspired Salads
- Greek Salad with Avocado
- Mediterranean Tuna Orzo Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad with Cucumbers & Artichoke Hearts
- Mediterranean Low Carb Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Yogurt Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Mediterranean Zucchini Pasta Salad
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for more FoodieCrush inspiration.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
Hello, you mention feta and it’s pictured but it’s not in the ingredients list just FYI. I just wanted to let you know. I’m making this tomorrow night so I can’t review yet, I’m sure it will still be really tasty without the feta.
I made this recipe tonight for supper after having made the easy gyro chicken last night. The salad looked good, however, I thought the dressing was a bit over powering, especially in the oregano department. I had to reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon of oregano as the chicken breast already had loads of it on them. The red wine vinegar burnt our lips and I think the ratios of vinegar to oil need some work still.
Ashley @ Foodie Crush
Thank you for the feedback Alex!
Incredible salad recipe that my husband adores. We will definitely be holding on to this one!!! Full of flavor and very filling
I tried this today, it was really simple to make, just lots of chopping,and delicious!
Wow…This is great recipe, Its very yummy. I will try this at home. 2 Thumbs up. Thanks for sharing
Greatly pleased with this recipe and the hard work that is put on. Just awsome.
I like greek chicken gyro salad. Look very delicious! I like it! Thanks recipes in your post! It really useful with me!
I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious!!! I can’t wait to have it for lunch tomorrow. The chicken is amazing! Thank you for the great recipe
This looks so yummy, thanks for another fabulous recipe.
Kelly | Foodtasia
Love this! It looks so delicious and so refreshing!
I read the blog. This is so unique and I’ve never heard of this. Like you, i’m not that crazy about lambs so it was awesome of you to change it to chicken. I’m a big time chicken fan. Thank you for this amazing blog!!