Greek food and especially gyros are one of my favorite kind of meals, but since I’m not much of a fan of lamb, it’s my marinated Greek chicken and chickpeas that adds the protein to this easy Greek gyro style salad with a yogurt tzatziki sauce perfect for a meal prep lunch or dinner.
This Greek gyro chicken salad is one of those types of salads that makes a statement, declaring that Mediterranean dishes are just as good in a bowl as they are stuffed in a pita or grilled on a skewer.
This Greek salad is far from contrived, or uppity, or way too out there. It’s just a good, basic salad that covers all the major food groups. I love that this salad can be prepped ahead for take-to-work or school lunches—proven by my Ali Smudge who is obsessed with it.
On busy weeknights, it makes for a super fast dinner. It’s ready to roll for everyone at to eat together, or parceled out as your peeps filter in for meal time.
Because doesn’t it seem that’s more the case than ever these days?
How to Plan Ahead and Meal Prep This Salad
A little chopping and a can opener for the chickpeas swill get you pointed in the veggie department of salad making mode.
In fact, the only ingredient that takes much effort is my recipe for the Best Greek Marinated Chicken that’s lemony, garlicky and oregano flavored. And even better than that is it’s super simple to make. And yes, it is the best.
I typically prepare a few portions of the chicken once a week so I have it on hand. You can grill it, bake it, or pan fry it. I usually grill it for a little extra flavor then slice it up so it’s easy to access, and stick it in the fridge for eating.
One of my favorite styles of salad fixing is simply tossing all the mix and match ingredients onto a large plate or platter and letting everyone dig in.
Or if you’re single serving them you can create these as more composed salads, too.
Like all of my favorite free-form salads, these salad ingredients aren’t measured to exact quantities so you can portion out more or less of these classic Mediterranean flavors as your cravings desire:
- Feta cheese
- Kalamata olives
- Greek marinated chicken
- Crunchy romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion
- Toasted pita triangles
- Homemade tzatziki sauce
More Easy Greek-Inspired Recipes
- Pork Souvlaki With Lemon Rice
- Mediterranean Grilled Balsamic Chicken with Olive Tapenade
- Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Easy Greek Chicken Kebab Recipe
- Mediterranean Chicken Quinoa Bowl with Broccoli and Tomato
- Easy Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Greek Chicken Gyro Salad
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 8- ounce Greek Marinated Chicken Breast sliced or chopped
- 1 15- ounce can garbanzo beans drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 pita bread pockets
- Canola oil spray
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Homemade Tzatziki sauce for drizzling
- Add the lettuce to a large serving bowl and top with the sliced chicken, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, olives and red onion.
- Cut the pita breads into triangles and spray with canola oil. Sprinkle with paprika and toast until golden. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- To make the dressing add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, sugar and salt and pepper to a small canning jar. Top with the lid and shake well until blended and emulsified. Season with more sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to taste. Drizzle with the tzatziki as desired.
More Mediterranean Inspired Salads
- Greek Salad with Avocado
- Mediterranean Tuna Orzo Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad with Cucumbers & Artichoke Hearts
- Mediterranean Low Carb Broccoli Salad
- Creamy Yogurt Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Mediterranean Zucchini Pasta Salad
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Learn more about my printed day-planner Nourished Planner here, and sign up for free, emailed weekly meal plans.
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,