It’s the last weekend before the final gorge, aka Thanksgiving.
But before you sweat it out over the pumpkin pie with distant cousin Miranda who doesn’t hesitant to tell you allllll about her kids amazing experience at the gifted children’s private school where they’re getting straight A’s or listen to Uncle Barry’s wife #4 who he met on his most recent trip to Baja, we must eat breakfast. Something that’s hearty enough to nourish us early in the a.m. and carry us past noon or until the big bird sings and more “interesting” relatives show up.
For breakfast I like to go with the antithesis of what I’ll be eating later in the day, which means I want something other than an American breakfast.
I present to you my Pepperoni Italian Egg Skillet.
Pepperoni Italian Egg Skillet
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 cup pepperoni sliced or diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups new potatoes cooked and sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- In a 9-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat and cook onion and pepperoni together until onion starts to become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add new potatoes, tomatoes and oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and with a spoon create 4 nests in potatoes for eggs to cook in, add eggs and then cover and cook for 2-4 minutes depending on your egg preference. Garnish with basil leaves and dollops of ricotta cheese. Season with salt if needed and serve.
Breakfast before turkey. Or maybe just pie. Lots of pie.
There are more and more items on the agenda like the new Holiday issue of FoodieCrush. Coming oh so soon and featuring food blogger’s holiday…
deliciousness above… and below…
And a big announcement to cure your sweet tooth is coming next week. You’re not going to want to miss this major Cyber Monday deal of the year.
So until turkey day, a few of my Friday Faves:
1. I don’t really need any competition for tickets but it’s my duty to share with you that this potluck will be better than any you might ever attend . Just don’t take my spot or retribution will be required.
2. I showed this cookbook to my husband and he is pre-ordering it now. It might be the most entertaining cookbook for the kitchen, and well, far, far, beyond, ever.
3. My friend shared this app with me, a sort of Instagram/Twitter lovechild that only lasts 5 seconds and POOF, it’s gone! The quickest voyeuristic glimpse yet.
4. 20 bloggers contribute their baking and cooking substitution secrets to Russell’s latest downloadable kitchen helper.
5. Check out this buffet of foodie gifts you can make in your kitchen thanks to Rachel and her bevy of holiday friends.
6. And while I can’t be down with NOT stuffing the turkey, Aimee has some good tips on how to create a great roasted bird .
8. An entertaining read on Thanksgiving dinners at the White House. (via @goudalife)
9. Put away the leftover cottage cheese containers. These Thanksgiving take home carriers are so great you’ll never forget them on the table or be ashamed of toting home.
10. This week’s Twitter fave: “Listening to a news story on Nordstrom saying they won’t open on Thanksgiving day like other stores. In related news, I LOVE Nordstrom.” via @bakeat350tweets . AMEN!
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,