Lightened-up crab salad stuffed avocados topped with mint and chopped pistachios are an easy and healthy brunch, lunch, or light dinner idea.
Sliced or diced and everything nice, creamy avocados are an obvious, beloved addition to salads like my strawberry spinach salad with chicken and avocado, or Instagram’s favorite citrus shrimp and avocado salad. With healthy protein and good for you fats, they’re the topper that just keeps on giving.
But avocados can be so much more than just a humble ingredient in the salad showdown. From vegetarian Mediterranean chickpea salad stuffed avocados to meaty taco stuffed avocados, these orbed fruits also double down as the perfect vegetarian vessel to hold all sorts of deliciousness.
These crab salad stuffed avocados highlight the lighter side of my avocado cravings. Perfect for brunch, lunch, or even a light dinner, this spin on salad will fill you up without weighing you down.
What’s In Crab Salad Stuffed Avocados
Use fresh, frozen, or canned crab in this simple-to-make salad.
- crab meat (it’s a great way to use up leftover crab legs)
- créme fraiche (similar to sour cream but thicker and not as tangy)
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- lemon juice
- grated swiss cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped pistachios
How to Make Crab Salad Stuffed Avocados
Choose perfectly ripe avocados. Here’s how to choose perfectly ripe avocados. Like many fruits and vegetables, you have to get a feel for telling if an avocado is ripe, and I mean literally feel it, but a visual I.D. will also be your guide.
Choose good quality crab. When making crab legs for dinner, I usually buy an extra for crab salad the next day. Snow crab, dungeness crab, or king crab legs or a good quality canned crab work well in this recipe too.
If using canned crab, be sure to mine for crab shells and drain extra well before mixing. Carryover liquid from the canned crab will make the salad watery.
Pit, slice, and stuff the avocados just before serving. While you can make the crab salad up to two days ahead of time, save prepping the avocados until just before serving. Avocados will darken the longer they’re exposed to oxygen. If desired, spritz with lemon juice to help avoid oxidation.
Crab Salad Ingredient Substitutions
- Instead of crab, try chopped shrimp or a good quality canned white tuna.
- If créme fraiche is unavailable, try half sour cream with half mayonaisse, full-fat Greek yogurt, or mascarpone cheese.
- Instead of pistachios, try chopped marcona almonds or macadamia nuts.
More Stuffed Avocado Recipes
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Stuffed Avocados
- Taco Stuffed Avocados With Chipotle Cream
- Shrimp And Scallop Ceviche Stuffed Avocados
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Crab Salad Stuffed Avocados
- 8 ounces crabmeat
- ⅓ cup crémé fraiche
- ¼ cup celery chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons red onion , minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint , chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce finely grated Swiss cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 avocados
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- Drain all of the liquid from the crab meat so it’s dry and flaky. In a medium bowl, mix the crab meat with the crémé fraiche, celery, red onion, red bell pepper, mint, and lemon juice. Stir in the Swiss cheese and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Split the avocados in half and remove the pit. Spoon ⅓ cup of the crab mixture into each avocado half. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and more slivered mint if desired.
More Avocado Recipe Ideas
- Strawberry Spinach Salad With Chicken and Avocado
- BLT Pasta Salad With Avocado
- Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde
- Grilled Corn Salad With Tomato And Avocado
- Avocado Caprese Salad
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for more FoodieCrush inspiration.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
I loved stuffing avocados. Awesome recipe I can’t wait to try. Question, is the nutrition facts based on a whole stuff avocado or half of the stuffed avocado?