This bejeweled beet, carrot, and pomegranate salad is sweet, crunchy, festive and bright—the perfect winter salad recipe.
Winter brings with it a lot of amazing things. Snowflakes and holiday parties with sparkly shoes are some of the best. Puffy coats that make me feel like Randy in A Christmas Story thanks to ridiculously cold sub-zero temps, not so much. Those freezing temps? They can go find somewhere else to invade while I go shopping for something basic to go with my gold flecked shoes. Or maybe I’ll just wear this Beet, Carrot and Pomegranate Salad. I mean, it’s prettier and more jeweled up than anything I have in my closet.
At a recent foray to our winter farmer’s market, I saw these beet beauties carats of carrots and scooped them straight up. Candy striped beets, carrots of red, yellow and purple’d pinks. These things needed a stage, and I knew exactly what to do with them.
Lynn Marie’s blog, Bijouxs Little Kitchen Jewels, is a serious feast for the eyes. Simple but striking recipes and stunning photos to match. She’s definitely a favorite and you need to add her to your daily recipe cruise if you’re not following her already.
Her recipe for Beet, Carrot and Cranberry Salad is one I’ve had bookmarked for a while. So when I came home from the market to look for a recipe to take advantage of these beauties, well, it was right there ready to be made.
About the recipe:
I made just a few adjustments to the recipe, but it’s pretty much perfect as is. I subbed out the cranberries for my favorite winter salad addition of pomegranates, and added some crunch with pistachios.
A whipped goat cheese would have been yet another layered topper that would have been outstanding, but I was sticking to my simple is more theory. Since it’s just a theory, I reserve the right to remedy that thought at any time.
The dressing calls for a bit of red wine, and while you can leave it out, I think it adds a nice smoothness to the traditional vinaigrette flavorings.
Beet, Carrot and Pomegranate Salad
- 5-6 small beets , cooked and peeled
- 2 medium carrots , peeled
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pistachios , chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives , chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley , chopped
- flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the beets and carrots thinly using a mandoline or hand held slicer. Layer on a plate or platter, alternating beets and carrots, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and set aside.
- Mix the red wine, vinegar and honey in a medium bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking continuously.
- Drizzle the dressing on the vegetables to coat. Add pistachios, chives and parsley. Season with flaked salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately or at room temperature.
As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. This post contains affiliate links.