These 31 healthy comfort food recipes are great for any time of year and show you can eat the foods you crave while still eating healthfully.
The start of every year encourages a slew of ambitious healthy resolutions — more green juice, less alcohol, more intentional living, less screen time, more kale, less ice cream. You get the picture. One sensible place to start is with our diets, and savvy meal planning is our tour guide. But since we know this is a lot to take in and meal planning takes work, we’ve decided to make things a bit easier for you.
We’ve scavenged the depths of the food blogosphere for 31 healthy comfort food recipes, because no matter the season, comfort food always rules.
1. Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This soul-soothing soup not only cures what ails you, but is both light and filling at the same time. Double win!
2. One Pot Baked Greek Chicken Orzo
from Recipe Tin Eats
A Greek yiayia in some village is smiling over this dish…
3. Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
from All the Healthy Things
Mac and cheese gets a healthy makeover with olive oil instead of butter, roasted butternut squash, and oatmilk, while still being super creamy and delicious.
4. Zucchini Noodles with Mini Chicken Feta and Spinach Meatballs
from How Sweet It Is
We’re all about this fresh and healthy twist on spaghetti and meatballs.
5. Lighter Tuna Casserole
from Gimme Some Oven
This is SO not your mother’s tuna noodle casserole. And that’s a good thing!
6. Delicious Butter Chicken
from Fit Foodie Finds
This classic Indian takeout dish gets a healthier makeover thanks to Greek yogurt and a little less butter, and I’m here for it.
7. Turkey Taco Spaghetti Squash Boats
You’ll never miss the taco shell once you dig into one of these…
8. Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Bake
from The Clever Carrot
If we close our eyes tight enough while savoring this pasta, we can almost smell meyer lemons and salty Mediterranean sea air…
9. Light Shephards Pie with Cauliflower Mash
from Heather Christo
Please excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth…
10. Baked Chicken Parmesan
This easy, super delicious chicken Parmesan is baked instead of fried, but is just as crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. If you’re trying to cut down on carbs, serve it over a bed of zucchini noodles or roasted spaghetti squash.
11. 30 Minute Healthier Pasta Carbonara
from Ambitious Kitchen
This Italian favorite is made lighter with turkey bacon and less pasta and cheese then other versions of pasta carbonara. It also has peas, for a healthy dose of green and added nutrition and fiber. But rest assured, this version is just as creamy and delicious as the original.
12. Vegetable Ramen Noodle Soup
from Supper with Michelle
This vegetarian ramen is teeming with so many healthy veggies, and may be light on the calories, but definitely isn’t light on the flavor.
13. Healthy Chicken Divan
from Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Like your mama made, but better for you.
14. Thai Curry Soup
from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
This soul-warming soup is proof you don’t have to sacrifice flavor to eat healthy.
15. Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups with Spinach and Artichokes
from Little Broken
Who said you can’t eat healthfully and still have lasagna?
16. 30-Minute Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Chowder
from Simply Quinoa
An unbelievably creamy soup without all of those pesky fats and calories — yeeeees.
17. Healthy Meatloaf with Tomato Glaze
This turkey and beef blended healthy meatloaf recipe keeps all the classic flavors intact but lightens its caloric load thanks to a few easy ingredient swaps no one will ever notice.
18. Creamy Chicken Quinoa and Broccoli Casserole
from Pinch of Yum
A casserole that’s both comforting and healthy? Yes, please.
19. Creamy Coconut Vegetarian Korma
from The Endless Meal
I’m crazy for korma, and this one’s naturally paleo and gluten-free and can easily be made vegan.
20. Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
from Eating Bird Food
These healthy chicken enchiladas are loaded with flavor and good-for-you ingredients and feature a sublime homemade enchilada sauce.
21. Instant Pot Orange Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These better-than-P.F. Chang’s orange chicken lettuce wraps recipe is incredibly easy to make thanks to the Instant Pot pressure cooker that does double duty as a self-serve, low-carb appetizer or as a healthy main meal that’s quick to make and even more fun to eat.
22. Singapore Zoodle Stir Fry with Chicken
from Cafe Delites
Shrimp and chicken tango with zucchini noodles in this light dish with bold flavors and bright colors.
23. Broccoli Cheese Soup
from Cookie and Kate
This favorite soup gets a healthy makeover without sacrificing an ounce of flavor. It has a super silky texture thanks to a potato, instead of heavy cream, and is so delicious and creamy, you’ll never know it was made “lighter.”
24. One Pan Chicken with Lemon Garlic Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts
from A Saucy Kitchen
Your entire meal on one pan — it doesn’t get easier than this!
25. Cauliflower Pizza with Greek Yogurt Pesto and Grilled Veggies
from Food Faith Fitness
Cauliflower is such a wonderful chameleon — you’d never know it’s the star of this fluffy, to-die-for pizza. And don’t even get us started on that sauce!
26. Lightened Up Chicken Pot Pie
from Ambitious Kitchen
This chicken pot pie with a homemade, flaky whole wheat crust is made lighter with an amazing dairy-free sauce, instead of using butter and cream.
27. Mediterranean Zucchini Boats
Zucchini boats make the perfect vegetable vessel for ground turkey sausage, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, basil, and Parmesan cheese for a light, healthy, Mediterranean spin on everyone’s favorite stuffed zucchini recipe.
28. General Tso’s Tofu Stir Fry
from Minimalist Baker
That General never knew what hit him…
29. Healthy Baked Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Sauce
from The Modern Proper
These chicken tenders are breaded with a light and healthy combination of almond flour and unsweetened coconut and then baked for a satisfying, crispy crust.
30. Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers
Stuffed peppers that won’t make your belly feel stuffed.
31. Healthy Weeknight Spaghetti Bolognese
from Apple of My Eye
You can have your spaghetti and still eat it too.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
31 Healthy Comfort Food Recipes | Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef , 90% lean
- 1 medium onion , diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 ribs celery , diced (about ¾ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large Select One tomato , chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15- ounce can black beans
- 1 7- ounce can roasted green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn , defrosted
- 1 ½ cups cooked long grain rice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves , chopped plus more for garnish
- 6 Select One rainbow bell peppers
- 1 cup spicy cheese such as Chipotle Gouda or Pepper Jack
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large fry pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until cooked almost through. Add the chopped onion, celery, and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the diced tomato, tomato paste, cumin, chile powder and kosher salt and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Stir in the black beans, green chiles, corn, cooked rice and chopped cilantro.
- Meanwhile, cut off the tops of the peppers and spoon out the ribs and seeds, then rinse. Lightly sprinkle the inside of the peppers with kosher salt and place in a microwave safe dish with ¼ cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Transfer to a 3 quart baking dish and fill the peppers with the hot meat and rice mixture. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese is browned. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro. Serve hot.
More Comfort Food Recipes to Try:
- 30 Best Comforting Soup Recipes
- 42 Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes
- 31 Days of Comfort Food Favorites to Make Now
- 25 Healthy and Comforting Slow Cooker Soups & Stews
- 30 Easy Comfort Food Casseroles
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter for more FoodieCrush inspiration.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
Kristen @ The Endless Meal
Thank you so much for including my Creamy Coconut Vegetarian Korma. There are so many delicious looking recipes here!!
Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen
Thanks for the love, Heidi!!!
Sara @ Last Night's Feast
Great round up! Happy New Year =)
Christine @ Yum and in Love
Whoah! The best round-up I’ve found so far! Will definitely be making some of these!
Thanks for the compilation! I have a bunch of new recipes to try now :-).