Garlicky poached shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and feta cheese top a simple bruschetta with balsamic glaze to make this easy but elegant appetizer recipe.
This post is in partnership with DeLallo Foods
Elegant but easy. Isn’t that what entertaining food should be all about?
Oh right. And delicious too. Okay you got it. This one ticks all the check boxes off the list.
When DeLallo Foods asked me to come up with an easy entertaining appetizer recipe, given their array of ingredients that tantalize each and every one of my taste buds, it just wasn’t that hard to do.
And now through the end of 2016, DeLallo is offering a site wide discount, including holiday gifts delivered straight to your favorite door, to all FoodieCrush readers when you simply enter FOODIE10 to get yours at checkout.
It’s one of my favorite reasons for working with DeLallo, their array of high-quality ingredients. From their variety of olives, to artichoke hearts, to roasted and marinated peppers of every kind, not to mention the best pasta and jarred sauce, it’s easy to stock up the pantry and be ready anytime for last minute nibble creations.
About the Recipe
With this bruschetta recipe, all of my favorite Mediterranean/Italian flavors make an appearance.
Things start off with a slather of spunky pesto. We have salty capers and feta cheese. We have sweet sun-dried tomatoes and a healthy drizzle of balsamic glaze. And that garlicky, buttery, olive oily poached shrimp? Forget about it. This is what nibble dreams are made of.
The base for this appetizer is your choice. I typically go with a sourdough or french bread baguette. Cut the loaf in slices 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (DeLallo is my fave, natch) and pop into the toaster oven to get golden and crispy.
Meanwhile, you’ll be getting your poach on. Gently melt the butter into the olive oil on medium low and add the garlic to steep. This is where you want the flavor to happen. Keeping the cooking on low and slow infuses the garlic into the shrimp for an extra garlic flavor.
Then it’s time to start layering more flavor. First a slather of DeLallo jarred Simply Pesto gives an herb and nutty bite. Then sliced sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil give a sweet taste. On go the shrimp, I put 2 per toast, with a sprinkling of capers, feta cheese and fresh basil leaves.
The last step is a generous drizzle of DeLallo’s balsamic glaze, aka nectar of the Gods. Not only does it add a touch of elegance and shine, it really brings all of the flavors together. The vinegar glaze has been cooked down to a syrupy sweetness and is always on hand in my refrigerator.
Want to see how it’s done? Check out the video below!
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Pesto and Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta Recipe
- 8 ounces 51/60 raw shrimp shell-on, fresh or defrosted
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 french bread or sourdough baguette
- 3 ounces DeLallo Simply Pesto about 10-12 teaspoons
- 3 ounces DeLallo sun-dried tomatoes in oil slivered (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 ounces DeLallo capers drained (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 ounce feta cheese crumbled
- 15-20 small fresh basil leaves, or 4-5 large leaves slivered
- Delallo Glaze Balsamic Modenacrem for drizzling
- Remove the shells and tails from the shrimp and place in a bowl. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter and cook until melted. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until it becomes fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook slowly, flipping once, about 4 minutes or just until cooked through. Turn off the heat and let the shrimp sit in the garlic oil.
- Slice the bread into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Place on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining olive oil and toast in the oven until golden brown.
- Slather each slice of bread with 1 generous teaspoon of pesto sauce, then top with a sprinkle of sun-dried tomatoes, 2 garlicky shrimp with sauce, capers, feta cheese and basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope this recipe gets you in the kitchen to make something good.
This post is in partnership with DeLallo Foods. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.