About the RecipeA good pizza dough should easily be pushed, prodded and gently pressed into the edges of the baking sheet or jelly roll pan like this one, much like a foccacia bread. We aren’t flipping, spinning or rolling this dough. Just easily molding it into shape. I was too lazy to make homemade dough so I bought a grocery-store-made dough that SUCKED! Every time I tried to push the dough, to shape it into the rectangle to fit into my baking sheet, it sprung right back into a ball no matter how long I let it rest. So, I tossed the store-bought dough to the side, and I went for my tried and true pizza dough kit that always delivers, and made me wonder why the heck I didn’t use it from the get-go because it was less work in the end anyway. Duh. The dough for this pizza is thicker and chewier than crusts I create on a stone. It holds up as a perfect foundation for a lot of toppings. The key is to allow the dough to rise twice, once in the bowl after mixing and then again once you’ve pushed it into shape in the pan. A few glugs of olive oil to grease the baking sheet ensures the bottom of the dough bakes and crisps for the bite you’re going to crave. Don’t skip this step. Next comes a simple herbed cheese blend as the base on top of the crust. Sautéed onion, garlic and my FAVORITE ricotta cheese. Why do I love this brand so much? Because it is spoonable and soft and easily spreadable. If you can’t find my favorite brand, and instead find yourself with a ricotta whose consistency is more like cranberry jelly from a can, mix a little cream into the ricotta to loosen it up so it’s soft and supple. Onion, garlic and oregano add flavor to your herby cheese base. Add kosher salt, too. I’m on the meal planning rotation of cooking a chicken every week and this juicy whole chicken is my current favorite. If you’re not up for baking your own, a store-bought rotisserie will do. I chose a honey sweetened spicy BBQ sauce to fold the chicken into, I love the spicy and sweet. Blue cheese adds a spunky punch but the pickled banana pepper are what really steal the show. Add more to the top after baking for an even bigger puckery punch. If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.Print
Sheet Pan BBQ Blue Cheese Chicken Pizza
The key to this sheet pan pizza is a second rise of the crust in the pan for an easy, fool-proof, crowd favorite.
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , about 8 ounces
- 3 cups cooked chicken , shredded
- ½ cup store-bought sweet and spicy barbecue sauce
- ¾ cup sliced banana peppers , drained
- ¾ cup crumbled blue cheese ,about 3 ounces
- 3 green onions , chopped
- Red pepper flakes , optional
- Bring your store-bought or risen pizza dough to room temperature if it has been refrigerated. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 17" X 11.5" jelly roll pan or baking sheet. Gently press and poke the dough into the pan with your fingers, working it into the corners. if the dough springs back, let it rest for about 10 minutes for the gluten to relax. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm area of the kitchen to rise for another 30 minutes or until it has doubled in height.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- While the dough is rising, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the onion until translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium size bowl to cool. Stir in the ricotta cheese, heavy cream, oregano and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Within a 1-inch border of the edge, gently press the middle of the dough down a bit. Spread the ricotta cheese mixture on the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Toss the chicken breast with barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Distribute the chicken, banana peppers and half of the blue cheese evenly over the pizza.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bottom of the pizza is crisp and the cheese has melted. Top with the rest of the blue cheese and garnish with chopped green onion. Cut and serve.
This recipe is really simple and delicious! Just made for niece birthday as a snack.
ABSOLUTELY Delicious pizza! We added some cheese on top and it was perfect and very easy to make. We made it twice last week!
Ashley @ Foodie Crush
Thank you Varun! It’s a winner!
Wow. My friends should love this much. Thanks for your nice suggestion on this recipe.
Ashley @ Foodie Crush
This pizza is amazing. My husband and I make it once a week. Thanks for the great recipe!
These look great!! Will so be doing some of these soon!
Great. My friends and husband will love it much. I will add this to my cooking list.
Let me know how it is!
Great post! Will definitely be trying some of these
There’s nothing better than an entire sheet pan of pizza! This is killer!