This maple and brown sugar oatmeal recipe with sweet potato is made super easy in the microwave and is a delicious, healthy, and comforting breakfast on a busy weekday.
I’m not going to lie. The process of coming up with recipes to put on the blog is sometimes, just, well, weird. And sometimes the outcome can be a little, well, weird too. Like Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal with Sweet Potato. But in a good way and with 10 more food blogger’s oatmeal recipes at the end of this post.When I’m brainstorming recipe ideas I usually go for a few tried and true methods. Around this time of year they include:
- Go with an event: The World Series, Halloween and Thanksgiving or any event that features sweets
- Choose a seasonal ingredient: Apples, pumpkin, comfort food or sugar on anything that might bear a hint of dessert
- Select a trendy ingredient: Kale, bacon, quinoa or sugar on anything again and again and again
- Or just stuff something sweet with something else and call it a cookie, or a cake, or something that is ooey and gooey and makes everyone deem it “drool-worthy”
But then something like this recipe happens. Sprung straight from my own breakfast cravings of a good old fashioned oatmeal breakfast and totally not planned. I didn’t even switch out the bowl for one without a chip in it. I had some extra sweet potato in the refrigerator and while rooting around for the milk for my oatmeal figured, hey, why not?
I didn’t think about sharing this happenstance recipe besides getting it into my mouth until I posted it on Instagram (you’re following me, right?) and realized it actually hit 3 of my categories above. Maybe almost 4 since there is brown sugar involved.
What I like about my Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal with Sweet Potato is it’s another one of my sneak attack meals like this one. One where I sneak healthy stuff into family favorites and nobody’s the wiser. Given that sweet potatoes are just that—sweet—I knew the seasonality of this slow-burning carb wouldn’t distract from my favorite combo of oatmeal with maple and brown sugar. In fact it would just add more energy to the beginning of my day. Adding a handful of almonds just sweetened the pot.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Maple Oatmeal with Sweet Potato
- ½ cup oatmeal , old fashioned or quick
- ⅔ cup non-fat milk , or low-fat if you prefer
- pinch of salt
- about ⅓ cup cooked sweet potato , mashed
- 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spice
- maple syrup
- chopped almonds
- Mix the oats, milk, salt and sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and sprinkle with brown sugar and a dash or two of pumpkin pie spice and stir. Drizzle with maple syrup, add a small handfull of chopped almonds and add more milk if desired. Serve warm.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.