This easy to make lemon poppyseed quick bread is studded with cranberries, and uses creamy Greek yogurt to add flavor and extra protein to each sweet slice.
This post is brought to you by Fleishmann’s® Simply Homemade® because sometimes a little shortcut in the kitchen is just what you need.
Picture this. Or rather, smell this.
The wafting scent that hits you when you stride through the front door.
Something’s baking in the oven. Something slightly sweet. Something in need of a slather of butter.
Something you didn’t have to spend the morning, afternoon or evening slaving over. But still smells—and tastes—like you did.
While I strive to cook most everything from scratch, let’s face it. There are times when it just isn’t going to happen.
For instance. Thanksgiving is merely days away. Instead of going over the river and through the woods, this year we’ll be digging sand castles and breaking in the waves. Last time we were there for Thanksgiving dinner we feasted on Nacho Cheese Doritos and freshly caught Conch salad on the back of a dive boat. We’ll definitely not be in our normal digs and most likely we won’t be able to find a plethora of ingredients beyond our everyday staples at hand. And for this family gathering, I am perfectly okay with that.
But, I’m pretty sure I’ll still want to add a homespun touch to our holiday adventures, and I know I’m still going to want to cook. It’s what I do on vacation. In fact, it’s usually the first thing my husband and I do, is to scout out the local grocery store. Weird, because is that really a vacation for a food blogger? I may be the odd man out, but in my foodiecrushed world, absolutely.
This time I’m going to take the easy route. With a few healthy shortcuts. And so a box of this Simply Homemade Lemon Poppyseed Muffin & Bread Mix made specially for Greek yogurt is coming with me.
About the Recipe
When I tested out the recipe for this post it came out a winner all the way around. It got bonus points in that it was easy enough that Smudge and her friends could bake up a batch themselves and calls for Greek yogurt to add some extra protein. The mix, also available in banana and raspberry flavors, is made with high-quality ingredients like real fruits and juices.
All I’ll need for our island quick bread treat are a few basic ingredients to make this baby happen. Most likely our condo will have a muffin tin, so this may see it’s way into a mini form. Or if I have room, I’ll pack up one of my favorite oven-safe, paper bread baking pans along with a baggie of cranberries that I added to the mix just for a little color and another layer of sweetened puckered taste.
Beyond that, we’ll have easy access to the rest of the ingredients. Eggs (we need ’em for breakfast), Greek yogurt (the girls always request to have on hand for breakfast or snacks), canola or vegetable oil (we always stock up on vacation for dressings or marinades or greasing the grill) and a lemon or two (because what’s a martini if it isn’t shaken with a twist?). If the powdered sugar is available for the lemon glaze, we’ll add that too. If not? A slather of butter will certainly do.
This recipe is just a stir and dump. So I don’t have to worry about mixers and the like. I can simply pull out a spoon or a fork and whisk away then bake the batter for 45-50 minutes, and then viola. I’ve got a moist, delicious loaf of quick bread.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Lemon Poppyseed Bread with Cranberries
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1 box Fleishmann's® Simply Homemade® Lemon Poppyseed Muffin and Bread Mix
- 2/3 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour the cranberries into a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let the cranberries sit for 15 minutes to soften and plump up. Drain the water and gently squeeze the excess water from the cranberries. Set aside.
- Combine the bread mix, Greek yogurt, eggs, oil and water in a large mixing bowl with a spoon and stir until combined. Gently fold in the drained cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes then remove from the pan. Allow the bread to cool completely.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and stir in the lemon juice 1 teaspoon at a time until the glaze is just thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle the cake with the glaze..Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.
Get into the kitchen and make something good. Enjoy!
This post is sponsored by Fleishmann’s® Simply Homemade®. As always, thank you for reading and for supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
SIGN UP FOR FREE!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING FOODIECRUSH.COM
Subscribe to the FoodieCrush email newsletter and have every new post plus exclusive content delivered straight to your email box,