Hello and happy Friday!
Maintaining routines can be a slippery slope. There are times when routine is familiar and comforting, and the path to lifelong success. And then there are times when routine becomes mindlessly rote and even disheartening. I’m usually feeling stuck not because I’m bored, but because I’m overwhelmed with the to-do list running through my head.
That’s when I call upon the snow globe effect, and shake up my routine.
Here’s what I do when I’m feeling stuck in a rut:
- Write a list of all the things to blast them out of my head. It’s the first step to a plan of action, and somehow, just writing it all down makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something.
- Pretend my house is about to be shown to a prospective buyer, set a timer for one hour, and clear all the clutter. It’s amazing how much I can clean up quick.
- Cook something I never have from one of my gazillion cookbooks. Baking is especially therapeutic.
- Get outside and do something. Garden, rake leaves, shovel snow, take the dogs out. Nature is the greatest healer.
- Take an overnighter for a change of scenery. If you don’t have the monetary means to stay in a hotel room or airBnb, stay with a friend, or head to mom’s house for a spend over. She’ll love it. You will too.
- Read a historical non-fiction novel. The ultimate escapism.
- Wander the aisles of Target, HomeGoods, or one of my favorite thrift stores (and try not to buy anything).
- Go for a drive that’s at least 1 hour long, alone, and let my mind wander. I even turn off the music and skip the podcast!
- Switch out the chachkies or pillows and restyle a room. Whadya know?! It looks refreshingly new.
- Make a list of places I want to go and trips I want to take in the next year. And then make it happen!
Boy howdy! I feel better already!
With that, here’s this week’s list of Friday Faves. I hope you find something useful to add to your week. XO
So sad, but true: Things that get harder as you get older, and man, that sucks.
Forget the selfie: 9 photos you should always have on your iPhone. Smart.
Now THIS Halloween house decoration is impressive!
16 more Halloween house displays that are awesome ideas to steal. The milk crate challenge is so funny.
The smartest way to use the kitchen junk drawer. Taking note of this one.
If you like cats, you’ve gotta see this Bohemian Rhapsody parody. Very funny—even if you don’t like cats :)
Instagram lovers, here you go:
- I’m crushing hard on this French style maker’s IG account.
- 13 photo dump Instagram captions. I love these type of posts. I guess I should do some…
- This IG video is totally mesmerizing, and so is her work!
These hard candies are my daughter’s and my favorite.
This green tea is served at my favorite sushi restaurant and is absolutely delicious and that’s why I had to order some for home.
How to make pasta without any fancy equipment.
Invest in this attachment for your KitchenAid. It’s awesome, and cheaper than the name brand.
I pulled loads of tomatoes from my garden before the freeze and that’s why this is what I’m making this weekend.
What is the supreme PB to J ratio?
Oh my, this is my kind of dessert.
I love a flavorful good slow cooker chicken recipe.
These potato chunks pack in so much flavor.
This chicken dinner is all fall.
The dressing on this kale and sweet potato salad is fire.
This pumpkin pasta gets a brush of booze.
Oh how I love a good meatball recipe.
Turn your Swedish meatball into meatloaf!
Pumpkin bundt cakes for the win.
7 weight loss tricks you haven’t tried yet.
Wow, this advent calendar is a beauty junkie’s Christmas dream.
How to find your iPhone, even if it’s turned off. Did you hear that MIL?
French girl fall fashion vibes are looking so good right now.
8 ways to style your leggings, and not look like a slouch about it.
Finally, flight attendant uniforms that make sense.
How to make your bedroom look curated, not cluttered.
How to make good habits easy, and bad habits difficult.
And there you go! Have a great weekend everyone.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for more FoodieCrush inspiration.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There may be affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
Hey there! I love a good green tea. The link goes to the Instagram photo that is mesmerizing, which it really was. :)
Hi Heidi, I enjoy reading your weekly email. The recipes are great, as are your random musings. :) Thanks for the weekly chuckles. Happy Fall, Chris
I’m glad you enjoy them Chris. Thanks for stopping by :)