Why is it that food seems more special when it’s served in its own edible vessel? Spaghetti tacos, cupcake ice cream cones, heirloom tomato salad in frico cups, and any fruity drink served in a pineapple. Okay, maybe it’s the umbrella that gives that piña colada an extra panache.
Which got me to thinking about breakfast. But really, what else is new? Baked Eggs in Stuffed Sweet Peppers. That’s my new jam.
While I love my breakfast stratas and French toasts — baked with bananas and chocolate chips, stuffed with Mascarpone cheese or baked in little cups with sausage — this go around calls for something a little more special.
Cue the special, edible vessel.
Sweet yellow, orange or red bell peppers are the cradle for a mix of sweet potato hash with thyme and a splash of brandy topped with cheese and nestled in a bed of marinara.
And lest us not forget the sunny side up egg. For as we all know the mantra of 2012: “Put an egg on it,” still bears true in 2013.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram with #foodiecrusheats.
Baked Eggs in Stuffed Peppers with Butternut Squash Hash
- 3 sweet bell peppers red, orange or yellow
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into a large dice, about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F°.
- Cut peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds. Place cut side up in shallow microwave safe bowl or dish. Add ⅓ cup water to bowl. Sprinkle peppers with kosher salt and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter and olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butternut squash, thyme leaves and kosher salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add brandy. Return to heat and cook for 4-5 more minutes until brandy has cooked down and squash has softened and is easily pierced with a fork. Keep warm and add Ricotta and Feta cheese. Taste and season with more salt if desired.
- Pour marinara sauce in bottom of 9 x 12 inch baking dish. Place peppers cut side up and spoon ½ to ¾ cup of butternut squash mixture into each pepper, creating a hollow for egg. Bake peppers and squash mixture for 10 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from oven.
- Carefully break egg into small ramekin or measuring cup and slowly pour into each pepper taking care not to overflow egg. Repeat until each pepper is filled.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake peppers for 10-12 minutes or until whites of eggs are set. Serve each pepper with marinara sauce and extra feta cheese if desired.
This weekend I’ll be watching the moonshine and sunrise dance on the breakers of Coronado, CA, teaching my Smudge the finer skills of playing beach Smashball and definitely visiting a ramen house or two. But hopefully 7 or 13.
What’s on your weekend schedule? I hope visiting a few of my Friday Faves is somewhere on your list. Let’s get this thing started.
What I wouldn’t give to roll up in the RV with Jesse and Mr. White for a little cooking and the series finale screening in a cemetery of my favorite show on television (don’t even breathe a word until I’ve finished my marathon catch up on Netflix.)
Food. Wine. Rubbing elbows with Cat and Jacques. I’m going, you should too.
See ‘ya later Cronuts. 18 food mashups that will blow your mind. #14 and #17 are especially intriguing. Boom. Mind blown.
This weeks’s new favorite Instagram follow , because who doesn’t love food > dogs > gorgeousness.
Can’t. Quit. Singing. My husband has an ear for new talent and I can’t get enough of his latest discovery who’s all of 16 years old and oh so mesmerizing.
What chooo talkin’ ’bout? Find out who’s talking about you on social media.
Emmy watching this Sunday? Hey! Let’s make it a party.
50 best dessert recipes of all time = 372 gallons of milk to drink along with them.
Reality check: If you were homeless, would you turn in $40K of found cash?
I may never turn on my iPad again because I love this update oh so much. 12 new and hidden settings for IOS7 (I’ll probably use tip #1 the most bit can’t wait to try #9) and 7 others that will make you never want to put your phone down again.
Seems so obvious, but obviously not. 12 Intentional ways to engage on social media.
Plan ahead. Get your homemade Christmas gifts steeping.
The blush combo I can’t live without.
This weeks fantasy dinner is an ode to the harvest we’re all reaping:
Spicy Fresh Tomato Soup with Caraway Seed Cheese Toasts
Grilled Romaine Salad with Chicken, Peaches and Blue Cheese
Leftover Barbeque Pot Pie with Red Potatoes
Fig and Balsamic Ice Cream
Whiskey Me Away Cocktail
I’m finally using a calendar app I really like and it’s even working!
Hipsters eat in silence. And this is supposed to be fun?
Don’t eat in silence this weekend. Go out, have fun and shout it from the rooftops.
Thank you for supporting me and my partners which allows me to create new and special content for my readers. As always, all opinions are my own.
Are you following me on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? Thanks for reading and please keep in touch by subscribing to FoodieCrush.
Please, please, do not recommend using plastic wrap to cover food when cooking in microwave. The plastic out-gasses chemicals that are harmful.
Do you have to use brandy or could it just go without
I thought I should let you know about this company I came across. Right now, they are actively hiring people who know how to use Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram.
If you fit the profile, then you can make great money doing this, as is explained here:
Click here to Reply or Forward
common projects sale
This was a great and interesting article to read.
common projects sale
Oh my gosh!
I enjoyed reading you post.
Thanks for the catch Edward.
golden goose sale
Will certainly look at returning.