Hi! I’m Heidi,
and welcome to FoodieCrush.
My biggest culinary moment is when I won a blue ribbon at the Utah State Fair for my Snickerdoodles in 4th grade. Since then, I’ve morphed my love of making food with my former career as a Creative Director in publishing to become a photo-taking, storytelling, magazine and e-cookbook designing food blogger.
I like to create and share recipes that are fresh, seasonal, mostly simple, often healthy, comfort food. And sometimes with a little cheese and butter mixed in.
Because today, the web has become a virtual food buffet and I’m lucky enough to be a part of it.
Where to Start
If you’re new to this site, start off by checking out my Recipe Index for menu ideas that always use fresh ingredients, are mostly healthy, oftentimes seasonal, sometimes decadent and definitely FoodieCrush approved.
If you’re looking for a reason to kill a little time and discover new finds, check out my weekly list of Friday Faves.
Then get introduced to a bevy of food bloggers’ inspiring recipes and recommendations in my online magazine.
Discover new food blog reads in my almost-monthly posts of 5 food bloggers I’m Following Now.
And hear from some of your favorite bloggers themselves in my food blogger Q&As.
I started FoodieCrush in 2011 with the intention of creating an online magazine featuring the web’s most innovative food bloggers, their recipes and photography. I wanted to take my years of creating magazines for others to make something of my own, to showcase the talents of so many food bloggers who with the simple click of a mouse inspire every level of home cook to create something wonderful in the kitchen.
But then I discovered I couldn’t just feature food bloggers’ recipes like I did in my first post. I had to create my own recipes. I had to take my own photos. I had to become ONE OF THEM!
And. So. I did.
I worked at my day job while blogging wee into the nights until 2013, when I became a full time content creator of my own. I still design magazines for others, create e-cookbooks and am hired as the photographer behind the lens as well as the art director alongside it.
But where I get a real thrill is meeting other food bloggers, discovering their recipes and stories and reading a comment here on FoodieCrush of when someone has made a recipe of mine and takes the time to tell me they loved it. Or even if they hated it. Because that’s what cooking is. It’s all about our individual taste.
20 things you may not know about me
1. I’m a Utah native who grew up with the mountains as my backyard but always dreamed of living at the beach.
2. So, my husband and I moved to Venice, CA for 13 years. I created and designed magazines about natural health, bodybuilding, MMA fighters and as one will do when one is in Hollywood, about celebrity stuff. It was like living on a permanent vacation. Then I got pregnant. And then we moved back to Utah. And I couldn’t be happier to be home from vacation.
3. I wish I was an amazing baker. I am not. But one day I will be.
4. Some of my favorite things are German chocolate cake everything like this and this and hitting the beach with a cooler full of spicy tuna hand rolls and a couple of beers with my man, my Smudge and a couple of dogs in tow.
5. I call my daughter Smudge. I started calling her that when she was in utero because she was just a little Smudge of love. And now she’s the biggest Smudge of love in my entire life.
6. My husband is my secret weapon in the kitchen.
7. I take a tub every, single, night.
8. My dad named me after a family friend who owned and danced on the tables of the oldest bar in Utah. My party spirit started right then and there so you can blame him.
9. I call it bā-zil, not baaa-sil.
10. I taught a magazine design class to college students for 4 years. Note to any students out there: Instead of staring vacantly at your teacher, RAISE YOUR HAND AND ASK QUESTIONS. I can almost guarantee you one grade higher if you do.
11. I sneeze in threes.
12. We have bought, stripped then rebuilt and remodeled 4 homes. We planned on this one being the last. But we’re getting itchy.
13. My last dinner on earth would be some sort of pasta with mushrooms and fresh, melty mozzarella.
15. Every year I say I’m not going to plant my tomatoes because they’ve never been as prolific as the very first year I planted them. Every year I succomb. And then the next year I say I’m not going to plant my tomatoes.
16. I will cook all day if you will do the dishes.
17. I have no less than 14 cookbooks and 37 magazines on my bedside floor at any given time. My husband voices his silent protest by not vacuuming my side of the room.
18. I’ll take a slice of liverwurst and a spread of mustard topped with a slice of dill pickle on a wheat-y Triscuit before a PB&J any day of the week.
19. When I can’t fall asleep at night I play one of my 237 DVR’d shows of Barefoot Contessa. And then I’m zonked in 10 minutes.
20. My mom is my biggest cheerleader. And I love every one of her pom poms.
Enough about me, tell me about you!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime, I’d love to hear from you.
Like FoodieCrush on Facebook.
Follow me @foodiecrush on Instagram.
Follow me @foodiecrush on Twitter.
Follow me @foodiecrush on Pinterest.
Get answers to your burning questions with my FAQ page here.
Discover ways we can work together here.