Hellooo, and happy Friday!
I think I may have mutated into one of my dogs. Just like them, the only things that switches up the monotony of my day is going out for a walk and my next meal. The only difference is I have thumbs so I can get my own food (which the scale reveals may not be such a good thing) and I don’t wear a leash. Unless upon request…da da dump!
But I’m feeling good about things, we are making progress in this mad world! Right? Tell me I’m right.
My family is still hunkering down and social distancing, because yes, our lives DO depend on it. It will be a while before I go into a restaurant to sit and eat, but take out has been on the regular and I’ve moved from feeling confined to cooking from my pantry and freezer to preparing the fresh, bright flavors I’ve been missing. I mean, garden fresh tomatoes are a far cry from being in season, but my first tomato’d caprese salad of the season hit our dinner table this week and it’s never tasted better. Somehow it not only delivered on deliciousness, but hinted at the normalcy vibe lingering on the fringes of this very weird reality.
Day in, day out. That’s how it goes. But we’re all staying the course! Here’s a few things I do as part of my daily routine, whether I’m feeling it or not, that brings a semblance of normalcy to 100% not normal times:
- Make my bed. Always.
- Get dressed in something other than PJs before 9 am—comfy and stretchy 100% counts as good
- Press a cold wash cloth to my face, moisturize, then put on my makeup (even if it’s only concealer and eyebrows)
- Spray myself with my fave perfume (1 or 2) both when I get ready for the day, and before I go to bed.
- Tell myself it’s okay to skip a day posting on the blog or on Instagram if I need a break
- Hug my baby girl and tell her I’m proud of her because being a teenager right now totally sucks rocks
- Kiss my husband
- Have a dinner plan before lunch
- Snuggle with my dogs and tell them how cute they are because they need to know it too
- Take a tub every.single.night to decompress
- Call my mom
What are you doing during these times to make things more normal? Leave a comment and share to inspire the rest of us below.
Reader Carla suggested we all try laughing yoga. In her words, “It seems to help on days that it feels like you have mud instead of blood pumping through your veins.”
But enough of all this, let’s dig into this week’s Friday Faves!
Making things better: Take notice of the joy triggers in your day.
If you’re into nature photography, you’ll love these.
My weekend plans: Planting my fleurs and watching this documentary. LOVE HER!
The ultimate self-care guide for self-isolation. Feeling it.
Helping their own: Download this chef driven cookbook for a cause.
No meat, no problem when you make this amazing bolognese.
Got questions about making sourdough? This is your sourdough starter troubleshooting guide.
And when you have leftover sourdough starter, make sourdough fried chicken.
It’s all about the chocolate chip:
- My Ali Smudge has turned into a pro baker with these chocolate chip cookies.
- Because I get one every time I go there for lunch, I’m going to give this local fave chocolate chip cookie recipe a try.
- Even if we aren’t staying in their hotels right now, shout out to Doubletree Hotels for releasing their famous chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Roll over rolls –> No-knead cinnamon bun bread is here.
No yeast, no problem with these no-yeast cinnamon rolls.
Tik Tok o’clock –> the viral mini pancake cereal recipe.
Jacuzzi chicken…this I gotta try.
Marghertita time! No-fuss 5 minute pizza dough.
This Olive Garden classic is remade for the Instant Pot.
Just add rice: Thai red curry chicken.
Oh me oh my, how I would love this lemon ricotta pie!
This wallpaper puts to-do lists and staying organized right in front of your face. Totally cool.
I’m lessening my eye strain and bought these blue light blocking glasses. Cute and cheap!
Set up for Zoom call set up success with:
- Try this laptop computer stand instead of propping stacks of books
- 15 Zoom approved backdrops
- Business on top, casual on bottom video conference outfits to wear now
- Video tips to look good on Zoom
The do’s and don’ts of working out at home according to celebrity trainers.
For all of us with hairline thin attentions spans: 5 tips for reading a book in one sitting.
One of those things you always put off, but will wish you had: How to stock the family first aid kit.
My teenager is retreating to safer times and bought herself the butterfly hatching habitat like she had when she was 5 years old.
I love these drippy outdoor strand lights to brighten up the night.
9 designer tricks to make your outdoors space feel zen.
Hand washing on overdrive = 5 best hand creams.
These sneakers are so happy they might make you want to work out all day every day.
Pure fashion fantasy land: The best Met Gala looks of all time.
The next elimination wave: Slow decluttering.
That’s it for this week. Wear your mask, wash your hands, and be safe everybody!
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.