Hello and happy Friday!
I’m finishing up this Friday Faves after eating the lovely lunch above at La Bicyclette in Carmel, CA. We’re here celebrating my husband’s birthday, and guys, this is a big one for him. One of those birthdays that crosses the line from middle age to picking out decorations from the party store’s section for “over the hill” and “vintage.”
Happy birthday to my forever boyfriend.
Luckily for my man, he’s as youthful as they come. He falls easily in step with hipster slang, the latest styles, and always up to speed with current music. He’s fit, has yet to turn even the slightest bit grey, and is the funniest guy I know. And he proves every day that even though he is indeed 8 years older than me, he will always and forever act younger than I ever will. And after 25+ years of marriage, I can confidently agree.
It’s true. Age is relative. It truly is in how you think of yourself and how you show yourself to others.
One thing I’ve thought a lot about lately is how after all these years, we genuinely love being together. Don’t get me wrong. He drives me straight up the wall at least once a day. But mostly, I let it go because his annoyances are my deal, they are things I choose to annoy me or to look past. Lucky for him I don’t do a single solitary thing that annoys him. But isn’t that the female role in every relationship? :)
This past few years with my man have been even better than ever, and I have a couple of things I can attribute the strength in our relationships to:
- Financial security. I’m a big saver but I’m not cheap. It’s a huge comfort to me to have money for today and the future. Having financial security, but still enjoying life, takes money off the fight list.
- We are in unison. We have similar viewpoints about family, politics, and how to raise our daughter. Another point of contention…gone.
- And finally, the one thing I think has truly improved our relationship is we enjoy a shared physical activity that we can improve upon individually, but we do it together. We love golf. Yes, it’s a four letter word, just like love. And we love golfing together. We can each work on getting better at our own game, but spend the time we do so doing it together. My friend Courtney and her husband hike. My dental hygenist and her husband work out every morning together. Maybe you and your partner like to cook. Or bike. Or ski. All I am saying is find one activity that gets you off the couch to do something together and see what it does to your relationship, for the better.
So happy birthday my GDawg. I love you man.
But enough about me and my love advice. Call me Dear Abby and let’s dig into this week’s Friday Faves.
Ha! The ultimate jack-o-lantern for Instant Pot fans.
If you’re feeling like things gone wrong in your life, read a few of these and realize things might not be that bad.
I’ve been an advocate for later school start times and now it looks like its happening.
Fans of The Office: how Jim and Pam are doing on their 10 year wedding anniversary, and Chrissy Tiegen weighs in.
10 essential oils that will cut your cold symptoms overnight.
Martha says these are the 5 entertaining tips every hostess should know.
This sweet potato chowder is everything for fall.
One of my goals is to eat more beans, and these look DIVINE.
Dinner done easy: Skillet chicken pot pie.
Hangover helper or not, I want these drunken noodles now.
Cinnamon roll alert: Chai + maple.
3 of my husband’s favorite things: Beer cheese enchiladas.
Healthy breakfasts that warm the belly:
- This oatmeal is all that pumpkin, CHOCOLATE, and more!
- All the flavor on the go: Cinnamon apple yogurt bowls.
- These steel cut oats with all the fall flavors.
Bring me my side of rice for this Instant Pot dal.
Nutrition guidelines from 7 countries across the world.
“Somewhere right outside of the whimsical hum drum that was my childhood, I started to hate my body.” A life of wanting thinness.
How to do the Halloweening:
- DIY your own clever Halloween sweater.
- 45 of the best Halloween movies to watch on Netflix now.
- 25 best 80’s costumes.
- How to create a Stranger Things themed party complete with an Eggo bar.
- 25 pumpkin carving ideas.
- If you’re a fan of that one where Monica wears the turkey, this is your Halloween costume right here.
This might be why you never see your friends anymore.
Professional organizers tips for a calmer, better fall and winter.
Coming in hot! How to handle stress like a NASCAR pit crew.
Put your feng shui in check with this mirror.
I use these for organizing my refrigerator’s fruit and veggie drawers and I love them!
What a cute gift for your favorite traveler.
Time to re-order my fave concealer.
Fall’s top nail trends with a side of really cool card tricks.
45 DIY Christmas gifts to start now.
That’s it for this week. Get out this weekend and enjoy the chill. Or, sit inside and chill. Whichever, just chill!
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
Craving more life balance, less stress, and better health? Check out my Nourished Planner, the daily planner to help create simplicity and under-schedule your life.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.