Hello my friendlies, and Happy Friday!
And it’s a really good Friday indeed. Because I’m back! Not that I went anywhere, except somewhere in my head that I couldn’t quite pinpoint. But since the beginning of this grand new year, I’ve had a mild case of the blahs. I just haven’t felt quite right, in the groove, or on point. It may be the weather, cabin fever, or maybe just the monotony of mid-life. But I just haven’t felt in my jive.
I highly doubt I’m the only one to feel this way. And I’m extremely lucky to say this emotional slump doesn’t come round very often, hit very hard, or stick around too long.
But I think I’m over the hump. Just like the little engine that could, I’m trying to be patient with myself, and those around me, and work on what I can to improve my mood. And I’m feeling like I’m back into my chugging groove.
To get out of the slump, I’m making sure I’m doing a few small things for me instead of just for others, to make me feel whole, focused, and happy.
- I’m cooking and baking more. Just for fun, not for the blog. Warm blueberry muffins are an easy cure.
- I am committing to being outside more. Vitamin D is real. But even if there isn’t sunshine, walking the dogs while listening to podcasts is a mindless escape.
- I’m putting more effort into making more time for friends, and so got the girls together to go see this movie last night. Loved.
- I buy myself fresh flowers. Same price of a bottle of wine but looks prettier and doesn’t mess with my sleep.
- We got rid of a bunch of old furniture I’ve held onto for years with the intent of selling it, and never have. So I donated and gave the clutter away. I feel SO much better without the visual reminder of my slacking every day.
- I’m reading novels again. This one has been an easy read to get me out of the rut of self improvement and business books.
- I’ve added to my team and delegated tasks that have been on my to-do list forever. I can feel the progress happening.
- And the biggest thing: I moved my office to another room in the house. This has been in the plan for over a year, but it took effort and time I didn’t think I had (aka the aforementioned furniture) to make it happen. But this change of scenery has boosted my productivity this week has been supercharged.
What are things you do to get out of a slump? I’d love to know, and others I bet would too. So please leave your thoughts in the comments below because nobody wants to hear only from me. :)
Okay, enough about me, let’s dig into this week’s Friday Faves!
Amidst all the academy award party prep, let’s not forget the time (or 20) that Lady Gaga used her “100 people” quote… Think she’ll do it again at the awards? (To be fair, we think if Bradley Cooper was our 1 person, we’d be feeling pretty okay, too.)
And…could they become a real life couple? The debate from the Little Monsters will continue to rage on.
Here’s a few Oscar worthy links for you:
- The most sought after Oscars party will be held in a parking garage. Thank you Bey and JayZ.
- Oscar fashion: The most memorable looks of the past 20 years. At least Bjork is still known for something.
- It’s an honor just to receive…all the freebies in the Oscars gift bags.
- Scrumptious snacks & sips for your yummiest Oscars party yet.
- Look no further: your (extremely cute) 2019 edition Oscars Ballot is here.
Random Act of Kindness Day just officially passed, but these tips are great for any and every day.
Just because Chrissy (and pizza rolls) will always be our fave. Stars, they’re just like us.
Taquiiiiitttooos for the bean lovers in all of us (plus they’re baked instead of fried.)
Meal prep goodness for when all you want is to cozy up to a warm, ready-made bowl of curry at the end of a long day.
The perfect curry pairing? This easy sticky rice instant pot recipe.
I never met a wonton I didn’t like, especially when it’s souped up.
Pinterest is loving these shrimp bowls, and I know why.
Meal prep + mason jars = convenience made cute, OR, are we over it already?
Toasted coconut makes this hot chocolate feel like a tropical vacation. (Plus-vegan!)
Vegan banana bread, because you can never have too many banana bread recipes.
One recipe to make your cold weather menu of pasta, and more pasta never ever boring.
This Irish chocolate cheese board is right in time for St. Patty’s Day.
Laksa Spaghetti, laksa flavor. ;)
5 quick and easy tips to dodge the cold and flu blues this season, right this way.
Grab all the benefits of hopping onto this health craze.
This is not a drill, people! The fab four and those Queer Eye guys return to Netflix. Plus, pull out the tissues, The Notebook is back this month, too.
One of my guilty pleasure Instagrammers gives a cool eye-do step by step in camel and pink that she says brings out the blue in your eyes. Makes sense to me.
Navigating this post-holidays, pre-spring gray period becomes a little more bearable (and less dry, cracked, frizzy… you get the idea) with these 10 holy grail beauty products.
If you haven’t caught on by now: bobby pins, barrettes, and butterfly clips have officially made their comeback. These early-aughts era gems dominated NYFW runways; here’s how YOU can pull them off without looking like you stole them from your 4-year-old. CUTE!
Avoid getting trapped in an hours-long vortex of emails with tips for getting savvy with your inbox.
These are the perfect booties to linger into spring. How cute are the cutouts. FLY AWAY!
In the age of all things minimalist (Marie Kondo, anyone?) here are some decluttering challenges for you to try with your own closet this year.
Dororthy, we’re not in Kansas anymore. Oh wait! Yes we are! This Kansas family’s mid-century modern interiors.
I’ve been listening to this playlist all week. A little retro, a lot of easy to make it feel like the weekend, even when it isn’t.
Okay, that’s it! Have a great weekend everyone and I hope you find some time to get in the kitchen and do a little cookin’. And be happy!
Craving more life balance, less stress, and better health? Check out my Nourished Planner, the daily planner to help create simplicity and under-schedule your life.
We send good emails. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box.
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. All opinions are always my own.
Subscribe and have every FoodieCrush post delivered straight to your e-mail inbox