What’s in This Pumpkin Soup?Like I said, this easy fall soup recipe requires just 7 main ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make this creamy pumpkin soup:
- Sugar pie pumpkins
- Chicken stock
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Mascarpone cheese
How to Make Pumpkin SoupYou’ll first need to sweat the onions in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. I know it’s tempting, but don’t crank up the heat. You want the onions to cook down and sweat, not develop color. Then, cut the sugar pie pumpkins in half and remove the seeds. Place sage leaves in each pumpkin half and place on a baking sheet. Brush the pumpkins with butter and roast until fork tender. Peel the skin from the pumpkins, then place the flesh in a large stockpot along with the rest of the ingredients (except the butter and onions). Simmer the pumpkin soup for 30 minutes, then transfer to a blender and blend until creamy. While blending the soup, incrementally add in the butter and onions. In a separate saucepan, fry the reserved sage leaves in some butter. Once golden brown, remove from the saucepan and allow to cool. Serve the creamy pumpkin soup with a dollop of mascarpone, fried sage leaves, and a whirl of olive oil if desired.
Can I Freeze Pumpkin Soup?Yes, this easy pumpkin soup freezes incredibly well. Note that you’ll want to freeze the soup before stirring in the fried sage leaves or mascarpone.
Can I Prep This Soup in Advance?Yes, this pumpkin soup can be made ahead of time. I recommend reheating the pumpkin soup in a covered saucepan over medium heat.
Tips for Making Pumpkin SoupI’ve never made this pumpkin soup recipe with canned pumpkin, so I’m not sure if you can use it in place of roasted sugar pie pumpkins. When making pumpkin soup, I prefer using my homemade chicken stock. However, I totally understand if using store-bought stock is easier for you. Choose a good quality stock with a minimal amount of salt; it’s better to season this soup yourself. And if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own quite easily. It’ll come in handy for savory dishes and baked goods alike!
More Fall Soup Ideas You’ll Love
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Kale
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Easy Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup
Pumpkin Soup with Crispy Sage
This creamy pumpkin soup is made with just 7 ingredients! I like to stir in a little mascarpone cheese to bump up the creaminess factor and always add a sprinkle of crispy sage leaves on top.
- 4 sugar pie pumpkins
- 1 large yellow onion , sliced
- 4 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ pound (2 sticks) butter , plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 bunch sage , reserving a dozen leaves
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large stockpot, add onions and bring temperature down to medium-low to sweat onions until translucent. Meanwhile, cut pumpkins in half and remove seeds.
- Place sage leaves in each pumpkin half and place on a baking sheet, skin side down. Brush with a 1 tablespoon melted butter and roast for 45 minutes.
- When softened and pumpkins can be pierced with a fork, remove from oven and peel skin from pumpkins.
- Combine pumpkin with remaining ingredients into stock pot, except butter with onions. Simmer for ½ hour.
- Remove from heat and add mixture to blender in batches, incrementally adding butter and onions. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons reserved butter and add reserved sage leaves. Sauté until lightly browned.
- Serve soup with a dollop of mascarpone, fried sage leaves and a whirl of olive oil if desired.
Recipe adapted from Canyons Farm Restaurant.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 889kcal | Carbohydrates: 97g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 58g | Saturated Fat: 34g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1486mg | Potassium: 4698mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 117954IU | Vitamin C: 125mg | Calcium: 346mg | Iron: 12mg
More Savory Pumpkin Recipes to Make
- 5-Ingredient Thai Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin and Fried Sage Flatbread
- Pumpkin Manicotti
- White Bean and Pumpkin Pork Chili
- Pumpkin Gnocchi with Hazelnut Browned Butter
Rate & Comment