Happy Friday friends!
When the new year rolled around I realized there were a lot of things I was ignoring about taking care of myself. Well, not necessarily things I was ignoring because the list was in rolling from week to week on my to-do list agenda and a chronic nag between my shoulder blades like an itch I just couldn’t quite find the time to scratch.
Let’s get real. I was simply putting them off because other things are just “more important.”
It’s an easy habit for any one to get into. But not a good one.
Like others, I’ve had self-care on my mind. I tend to put things for others in first place above my own health and well-being. Between my work, his work, her homework, keeping up with the housework, wanting to work-out, and all those other -work things (and don’t forget -play things too), neglecting oneself happens. How can I possibly make the time to even place a phone call to make an appointment? I mean, those dishes aren’t going to wash themselves now are they?
But this year I’ve flipped the tables and I’m making change. Real change, and the proof is in the proverbial pudding. Since January I’ve put myself first and I have:
- Purchased a Fitbit and have actually been liking it and also getting my steps in (although the sleep pattern thingy is my favorite part)
- I’ve been solid in my weekly meal planning and have made it a point to have dinner ready for the family at a reasonable hour at least 3 times a week (I feel like a mom again!)
- I’ve been to the dentist twice (because that’s what happens when you don’t go for 3 years)
- I’ve had my eyes checked for a new prescription (yea! I can see!)
- I’ve had a facial that convinced me to schedule them monthly (I love her)
- I went to the dermatologist (I’m skin cancer free—and maybe a few wrinkles, too)
- I made an appointment with my accountant (no tax extensions for me!)
- I committed to a diet/detox program with two friends (I’ll let you know how it goes)
- I’ve given up Diet Coke (did I really just write that?) and drinking gallons of water instead
- I’m currently decluttering my entire house (slow and steady wins the race)
- and I’m not stopping yet. TO DO NEXT WEEK: Schedule my mammogram and colonoscopy. So.much.fun. But what will be more fun is to set a ski date with one of my besties, get back on my vitamin regimen, schedule a work date with my OFO girls, make a hookie from school date with my Smudge, and keep working ahead to be less stressed.
I’ve got this. You can too. What do you do to put yourself first?
On a side note, THANK YOU to everyone who purchased and helped spread the word about the Nourished Planner. We are officially sold out for 2017! If you purchased the planner and have any suggestions about improving it, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to help make 2018’s version even better for you.
But enough about me and all that jazz, let’s get right to the meaty bits of this week’s Friday Faves. Take care (self-care) this week, everyone!
So Super Bowl is always about the food and the commercials. Here are 10 that made the best of cut.
So Lady Gaga totally killed it at Super Bowl halftime (#girlcrush), but did you know she’s starting her own wine label, called Grigio Girls—love it! If the wine is half as good as her music, we’re in for some serious sippers.
This healthy salad has all my favorite flavors.
These are my FAVORITE Valentine’s day cookies. Hands down, hearts up.
My man LOVES cucumbers so maybe this recipe should be on our Valentine menu.
I want these muffins, stat!
Mmmm, there’s nothing like a good chopped salad.
Crushing on this sexy pasta.
It’s a good thing I don’t live in NYC, because this place would be super dangerous.
Totally. Making. This. Cake. I mean, milkshakes.
This is a cute Valentine’s bouquet DIY. And not spendy at all either.
This Valentine mani is super cute, and would be easy to do at home.
and, after Valentine’s day…
Here’s how one gal felt after cutting out sugar for a month. Who’s in?
How to declutter your coffee table. I never seem to get this right.
I got rid of my kitchen’s open shelves, but for those of you who still have them…
Totally making this all-purpose cleaning spray.
10 podcasts to improve your commute. Do you have a favorite?
You know how everyone dreams of living on a private island? Now you can rent one for just $495. #bucketlist
My husband has refused to give me any more massages because I am the worst at returning the favor. I think I might want to take a class and surprise him, but until I do, I ordered this massage lotion and have studied this tutorial. Gotta give to get!
Everyone’s talking about the one-minute workout. But does it really work?
The seven one-minute health routines a Harvard doc swears by.
I need to take more photos of things besides FOOD. I’m totally inspired by these portrait taking tips.
This week I downloaded this iPhone photo editing app and I am really, really liking it.
An easy Valentine’s messy up-do. You know, for all that neck nookie you’re gonna be getting.
When cozy meets sexy = this sweatshirt.
The perfect all-in-one outfit that works for work and after work. And it’s on sale.
This dress makes me want spring to get here already.
But this dress…totally a simple summer staple.
I am currently living this advice: When your child is ready to quit, tell them this.
Recipes I Pinned This Week
The Internet’s aflutter with sweet treats for Valentine’s Day. Here are three lovable recipes I’ve pinned this week that I think might make you weak in the knees…
Frosted Earl Grey Brownies with Rose Petals
Pretty little rose petals make these dark and sultry brownies pop, and an Earl Grey tea-infused chocolate frosting takes them to the next level.
Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies
How cute would these be tucked into your Valentine’s lunch? Heart vibes all day long.
Black Cherry Macarons
Opposite of the ease of handpies, these babies will make a serious impression if you’re up to the task.
Thank you for stopping by! Have a fabulous (selfish) weekend, friends!
As always, thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. All opinions are always my own.
Thanks for reading and subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.