Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese

by heidi on April 23, 2014

Uh-oh. Looks like I’ve entered an eating contest. It won’t be for hot dogs. It won’t be for pie and it’s not for chicken wings.

Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese foodiecrush.com

This eating contest won’t be with me as a contestant either. Instead, I’ll be on the other side of the table, as a judge. And I won’t be judging others eating. Nope, it’ll be me and a select few who will be doing all of the tasting.

This June I’ll be reprising my role as a judge at the Wisconsin Cheese Academy’s Grilled Cheese Recipe Showdown. And loving every crumb of it.

Now, if you haven’t yet entered a recipe that will put me into a dead faint that has me dropped straight into a wheelbarrow and wheeled out the door, now is the time.

With the chance to win a $10,000 grand prize package, it’s probably worth a spin at this game of grilled cheese recipe roulette.

So let’s play!

Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese foodiecrush.com

Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese foodiecrush.com

It’s still grilled cheese month, and I’m still in the mood to melt.

Sometimes I find myself creating grilled cheese sandwiches that are a tad over the top, whether it’s based on my favorite salad or a riff on the classic BLT.

But this time around I’m going with just 3 ingredients to create a simple and utterly craveable bite between two slices of buttery toasted sourdough.

This sandwich is my dad’s favorite. He gets it every time we meet for lunch, at a local seafood restaurant where the crab is always fresh and the sourdough freshly baked. And bonus part, he always picks up the bill. Now that’s a great dad.

I used creamy Havarti for today’s version, but a lighter white cheese like baby Swiss or even a Monterey Jack will sub in just fine.

The sweetness of snow crab is key. Dungeness, as long as it’s sweet, would work too but plan on a meatier, sturdier bite rather than the delicate snowy crab flavors that meld so well with creamy avo and melty white cheese.

Pondering king crab? I’d probably save it for dunking solo with butter thanks to the saltier flavor that’s just too much for this delicate flower of a sandwich.

Bottom line? Grilled cheese is happy food.

Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese

Yield: makes 2 sandwiches

Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese

4 slices sourdough bread
2 slices Havarti cheese
½ avocado, pitted and sliced
8 ounces fresh snow crab meat
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature

1. Spread ½ tablespoon of butter on one side of each slice of the bread, then stack buttered sides together. Cut the Havarti slices in half and layer 1 half slice on top of each bread stack, then a few slices of avocado, then half of the snow crab on each bread stack then the remaining Havarti cheese slices. Place bread buttered side down in a fry pan over medium heat. Cover with a lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and flip sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch carefully.
  3. Cut in half and enjoy hot.

Thank you for reading and supporting companies I partner with, which allows me to create more unique content and recipes for you. As always, all opinions are my own.

Are you following me on InstagramTwitterFacebook and Pinterest? Thanks for reading and  subscribe to FoodieCrush to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box.

Posted in: cheese,meat and seafood,recipes,sandwiches

Belinda@themoonblushbaker April 23, 2014 at 4:58 am

I am sad i can not enter from down under but I am loving the crab in this! creamy avo with crab is always welcome; add cheese? Yep your dad has great taste!

Michelle @ A Dish of Daily Life April 23, 2014 at 5:56 am

Sounds like an amazing combination! I love grilled cheese, and these are three of my favorite things! Yum!

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom April 23, 2014 at 5:57 am

Holy wowsers!!! freaking love this!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl April 23, 2014 at 6:53 am

I mean seriously. This is perfection.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite April 23, 2014 at 6:53 am

So jealous that you get to devour every kind of grilled cheese in one sitting. Take your stretchy pants!

Tieghan April 23, 2014 at 6:56 am

Amazing combo! Simple, but so cheesy and it allows the flavors to shine. Need this!

Christine from Cook the Story April 23, 2014 at 7:10 am

This looks absolutely mouthwatering and amazing!

Caitlin April 23, 2014 at 7:39 am

You had me at crab. Yum!

Brian @ A Thought For Food April 23, 2014 at 8:07 am

Such a tough job. I’m sure you’ll rise up to the challenge. :-) And holy moly now I won’t be able to stop thinking about crab and avocado grilled cheese. What a magical combination!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven April 23, 2014 at 8:28 am

AMAZING. And cheers to another grilled cheese contest!! I couldn’t think of a better judge. :)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough April 23, 2014 at 8:33 am

Grilled cheese most definitely is happy food. This sandwich in particular, though? EUPHORIA.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) April 23, 2014 at 9:41 am

Killer sandwich!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps April 23, 2014 at 9:53 am

Crab and avocado belong together, but add in cheese and bread — jeesh, grilled cheese heaven.

Jaclyn April 23, 2014 at 10:29 am

You always make the most perfect sandwiches – and your sandwich photos are always flawless! I’m so envious :).

heidi April 24, 2014 at 11:53 am

Oh you are way too nice, I think you should take a look in your photography mirror, because I admire your work so much!

Lisa @ Garnish with Lemon April 23, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Whoa-I love all things about this sandwich! Another gorgeous photo, I’m wishing this was my lunch! Pinned.

Lyn K April 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm

One word. D-R-O-O-L !

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog April 24, 2014 at 7:34 am

I know what I’m making for dinner…I am SO excited to have found this post, I will definitely be making grilled cheese ASAP and entering it as I live in WI and looove WI cheese! Side note…if you’re ever in Milwaukee WI let me know! I’d love to meet you :)

heidi April 24, 2014 at 11:52 am

I’ll be coming to Madison in June, but I’d love to get over to Milwaukee again. It’s such a cool city!

Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily April 24, 2014 at 10:47 am

I just went into some sort of food trance staring at this sandwich! I don’t know if I’ll be able to come up with anything this drool worthy but seeing as that I love grilled cheese I might just try.

Annie April 24, 2014 at 11:52 am

This looks incredible Heidi! Drooling over here.

shelly (cookies and cups) April 28, 2014 at 4:56 pm

These sandwiches might be my new favorite food. oh my word…

Emily April 29, 2014 at 1:05 am

This looks so dang good! And I don’t even like crab very much. ;)

organic seo September 20, 2014 at 12:48 am

Due lead generation to this madness. We lead generation still operate under the edge.
Search engine marketing is a great layout system for people who believe that they have with finding a job started,
it’s important that your company to have some good before paying him and fee.

But if it’s hand written and published online via
websites. Choose a web designer needs to be contacted for web design and
code format. Ensure that the service is also definitely worth a thousand words.

seo consulting services September 23, 2014 at 1:17 am

Never make a navigational menu seo of marketing.
Web Design India can benefit more than hundred different browsers that don’t have patient.
The two skills don’t go for, and any costs involved if you are able to customize images is that the mobile websites prove the most important content on the maintenance.
Check this out there but How to find out after firm’s position to choose from a search option you
can attach to it.

Bettina September 23, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Call these references, identification, and then suggest what unlicensed contractors has
been in business? No one can use it and use it
and ask them if the guarantee of complete customer satisfaction. S Intelligence, unlicensed contractors and rebuild several
grain bins in the city. Those areas that they have sources of information with ease.

For one, consider the type of pool construction. A Cost-Effective
Remodeling ProductOver the term” lifetime” you leave, termination pay–nothing
of this guide.

Mitchell September 25, 2014 at 1:48 am

The man, or the UK contractor for all parties before work commences.

Before you even hire home improvement contractor s performance and payment procedures.
All reconstruction projects with an estimate are key
to a local contractor to employ sewer main contractors concentrate on. If you have the Governor.
The department of the computer networking contractor, and in that case, our.