Here’s the thing about cooking with slow cookers. It’s convenient. But only if you’re creating a recipe where you don’t have to dirty more than the slow cooker. Like this Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup.
I’m all about time management. I eat breakfast while I do the dishes, I brush my teeth while I tie on my running shoes. In other words, I’m a multi-tasker who isn’t terribly efficient at getting much of any of my laundry list of daily to-dos completed because my mind thinks I have to do more than six things at at time. Why? Oh why?
So these days, unless its a lazy day weekend, my to do list doesn’t always necessitate spending an hour and a half making dinner. I don’t mean letting it cook, I mean MAKING dinner.
Enter the genius invention that has been on every wedding registry since 1973. The slow cooker. And this Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup.
If I’m going to use a slow cooker, I want to make a recipe where I don’t have to brown this, sauté that and dirty one single other pan to make my dream dinner come true.
Prepare yourself, you will need to dirty a cutting board and a knife. And maybe a whisk or big spoon.
But other than that? You can put that fancy dish washing scrubbie away my friend, this is a one stop shop recipe I’m happy to make. Just so long as someone else does the
This recipe is easily adaptable when it comes to the veggies. Sub in or add carrots, potatoes or leeks. Or for a purely veg version change up the chicken broth for vegetable broth and omit the chicken.
Just be sure to keep the lime and the peanut buttery taste to complement the spiciness of the curry and you’re in business.
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 12 ounce cans of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- cilantro for garnish
- cooked white rice
- Mix the curry paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar and peanut butter in a 4-1/2 to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl. Place the chicken breast, red bell pepper, onion and ginger in the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add in the peas and cook for ½ hour longer. Stir in lime juice and serve with cilantro and white rice.
Did you get a chance to enter Averie Cooks Peanut Butter Comfort cookbook giveaway yet? It’s only happening through Sunday so hop on it blue bonnet.
Thank you for supporting me and my partners which allows me to create new and special content for my readers. As always, all opinions are my own.