Big Traveling Potluck 2013 Recap and Friday Faves

by heidi on May 3, 2013

Big Traveling Potluck | foodiecrush.com

I spent last weekend in the hilly wine and avocado country of Temecula, California, about an hour outside of San Diego. I was there for a food blogging conference cum retreat founded by Maggie and Pam of Three Many Cooks and Erika from Ivory Hut. Founded two years ago in Philadelphia as the Big Summer Potluck, the ladies have taken their show on the road and foraged their way west, in the incarnation of the Big Traveling Potluck.

This event is far from a traditionally architected blogger conference. Absent are formal seminars, sponsor booths and non-engaged attendees wondering what to do next. It’s less about what to wear and more about connecting over food, drink and the occasional chia seed pudding.

We were all there for the same purpose, to contribute to one another in a less formal, more intimate environment.

Let me make one thing clear: less formal does NOT mean less grand in scenery, attention to detail or heart.

I’ll be detailing far more about both conferences in the Summer issue of FoodieCrush coming this June. Until then, you truly owe yourself a read of the following recapif you’re of the food blogging variety. Or self-growth variety. Or if you’re just curious what happens when food bloggers gather together.

“Get out of my dreams and into my car. And by car, I mean, into your best creative work.” ~ Helen Jane

Conference speaker Helen Jane Hearn’s speaking commentary comparing 80’s R&B star Billy Ocean to blogging had everyone in attendance spellbound, laughing and connecting the dots all at the same time. A must read.

I feel like I can’t verbalize the experience nearly as eloquently as these very thoughtful and original reads from Brooke and Kate. Please jump over and feel their P.O.V.

I did take a few Instagrams from the weekend—and borrowed a few too (follow the hashtag #BtP1 on Instagram to see a visual snap of the weekend)—to illustrate some things I learned, observed and took away from the 2013 Big Traveling Potluck. Until next year…

Big Traveling Potluck | foodiecrush.com

1. I miss living by the beach

2. Always leave plenty of time for security

3. There comes a time when it’s time for your blog to graduate and get a job (pic: Carrie)

4. Wine and avocados are a marriage made in Temecula (pic: Jamie)

BTP3

1. I’m a Brat

2. Friends push each other to do better, grow stronger and accomplish what they think they can’t

3. I will always order Baja style fish tacos if they are within 47 feet of the menu

4. If you ever need a food blogger’s cookbook, head to Recipe Girl’s house. She has every one of them. #recipegoldmine

BTP-61

1. Bus rides create conversation opportunities with people you haven’t yet had the luck to get to know

2. Those that have overcome adversity have amazing stories of appreciation (pic: Maggie)

3. Sometimes the brightest lights are found in the corners (pic: Mimi)

4. This is officially not a swag bag

Big Traveling Potluck | foodiecrush.com

1. There’s nothing like a Pink Moon to frame a party scene (pic: Kelley)

2. Brands can bring bloggers together  (pic: Sandy)

3. Tall girls rule. And they can cook. (pic: Sandy)

4. Learning from one another is even more valuable than learning from an expert. Unless that expert is one of you.

BTP-4

1. I really, really like guacamole

2. Farm tours are always better with a margarita in hand (pic: Kristin)

3. It takes too much willpower not to dip your toe in

4. Bloggers do more than make food, they help people less fortunate than themselves (pic: Rachel)

BTP-5

1. Photo booths turn adults into 8 year olds

2. Food bloggers like to eat as much as they like to cook

3. I’m often asked to take pictures

4. Homemade Coconut Cupcakes make the perfect going home airport food

And now, a short selection of this week’s Friday Faves. Have a great one.

While that song will always be a fave of mine, the duo’s new album out next week (have a listen here) will hopefully push this one out of my summertime-ditty memory bank.

This Savuer Best Food Blog finalist spills the beans (no pun intended) with her 100 Rules of Dinner
7. There is nothing sadder than a piece of warm pie without ice cream.
68. If you want to get something crispy, the pan needs to be hot. And so does the oil.
83. Three secret weapons of salad dressing: Teaspoon of sugar, dash of Sriracha, chives.
(in the style of and via Yes and Yes)

Who needs to train Rover to fetch cold ones when you have a remote control beer cooler

From orzo pasta to coconut scented soap to DIY utensils, these upcoming FoodieCrush mag contributors found an ingenious use for those leftover cereal boxes.

Have a case of the dinette doldrums? Problem solved thanks to these design ideas to bring your dining room into the latest century.

Happy weekend, and happy feast on Cinco de Mayo eats and cheering with juleps for the ponies.

Thanks for reading and please keep in touch by subscribing to FoodieCrush and follow me on TwitterFacebookPinterestThis site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to create new and special content like this for my readers, so thank you for your support. All opinions are my own.

Posted in: friday faves,photography

Becky @ Project Domestication May 3, 2013 at 12:11 am

The potluck looked amazing! And I agree, warm pie must have ice cream! Happy Friday!

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 3, 2013 at 1:53 am

I love all the instagram pics from Potluck! Wish I had taken more and been there a little longer :) but there’s always next year! Hope they do it again and that we can spend more time together. And I wish you lived by the beach still, too! :)

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious May 3, 2013 at 2:00 am

An amazing weekend for sure, I can’t stop thinking about that avocado panna cotta dessert!

Tieghan May 3, 2013 at 6:44 am

Love all these pics Heidi!! Looks like so much fun and SO pretty!! Wish I could have been there to meet all you guys!

Denise | TLT May 3, 2013 at 7:39 am

It is posts like these that make me realize Europe is too far away. What a great event, Heidi!

Gina May 3, 2013 at 8:11 am

What a fun experience. My mom lives close to there- I will have to tell her about this.

Cassie | Bake Your Day May 3, 2013 at 8:24 am

This might be my favorite Friday Faves ever. I love this and so glad we got to spend the weekend together…and act like 8-year-olds in a photo booth. Good times!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking May 3, 2013 at 8:53 am

I am vowing to make it to the BTP one year. If not the next one, the one after that! I love She and Him. My husband and I do a record exchange for Valentine’s Day. We have been doing it for a while now. The first records I got him were She and Him records!!!! I know this may sound sooooo hipster to say, but their voices sound so perfect on vinyl!

Cookin' Canuck May 3, 2013 at 9:18 am

You captured the essence of the weekend perfectly, and your bullet points brought back so many ideas that I had let slip my mind. As for the photo booth…I will be treasuring those silly, fishy-faced photos for a long time to come.

Kristen May 3, 2013 at 9:45 am

I was so bummed – Mimi had given me an invite to head out to BSPL with her and I couldn’t do it. It looks like it was a wonderful event! Love your photo recap :)

Kankana May 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

I cancelled my tickets at the very last minute and after looking at the photos I am feeling bad! I missed a lot! May be next time :)

Paula - bell'alimento May 3, 2013 at 10:19 am

Love this. So sad to have missed the traveling potluck. And wowzer it’s true, no one rocks a suit like Joe (okay maybe Adam Levine LOL)

Sandy @ RE May 3, 2013 at 10:43 am

Love your round up post, Heidi. Always so fun to read your posts. I had a blast with you – and more good times to come, right? :)

Kari@Loaves n Dishes May 3, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Looks like a blast! It’s always fun to meet new people and to reconnect as well!

Katie May 3, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Love your recap! Wish I could have made the journey out to California. 2 conferences back-to-back just wasn’t possible! Glad I was able to live vicariously through everyone via tweets and instagrams!

The Healthy Apple May 3, 2013 at 6:52 pm

LOVED this recap; miss you tons and cannot wait to see you in a month! xoox love ya sista!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven May 4, 2013 at 8:32 am

I couldn’t stop smiling while reading this!

You completely captured the heart of this weekend! Love all of the photos and the bullets, and tall girls DEFINITELY rule!!! So grateful for the chance to see you again, and for some stellar conversations, per usual with you. ;) Love it, and so excited to see you again in a few weeks!

bridget {bake at 350} May 4, 2013 at 9:45 am

I think this might be my favorite blog conference/potluck wrap-up ever! SO FUN! Loved all of the pics and captions! ♥

Kristina May 4, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I love this recap most so far! I wish I could have made the trip…

Jeannine May 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

Such a fun, inspiring weekend. Loved meeting you Heidi.

Katie May 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

That sounds lovely all around. Thanks for giving an inside peek.

Annalise May 6, 2013 at 11:05 am

Sounds like an amazing weekend! Hoping to join in on the fun next year!

Amanda May 7, 2013 at 11:47 am

What a fun recap Heidi!! Love all your fun photos. Was such a pleasure to get to see you again!! Hope to see you again soon!! :) xoxo

Nancy May 8, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Heidi- Just wanted to thank you for sharing my product (Drink Inks) on your blog! The photo was terrific!! I posted it on our FB page!
Looks like you gals had a fantastic time!! Love Recipe Girl and looks like I have another great foodie to follow!! Cheers!!