Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese

by heidi on April 26, 2013

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese | FoodieCrush.com

What is that you see? A towering inferno? No, just a deliciously lipsmackerlicious Spanish-style grilled cheese sandwich. What? What’s that you say? Oh man! Say it ain’t so! Grilled Cheese Month has nearly closed it’s doors, making way for Mother’s day brunch, Cinco de Mayo spiciness and so many asparagus recipes bopping about the web we probably won’t even have to eat the tender stalks to feel their superpower affects.

I may have to rebel and stay in April with my gooey grilled cheese. Although I do have one final grilled cheese recipe that I’m saving to transition into May. I have a hard time saying goodbye.

So. I’m going to be judging a contest, the Grilled Cheese Academy Recipe Showdown, and I can’t believe the goodness that’s been submitted so far. Like a marathon runner in training, I’ve been doing my due diligence and expanding my stomach in preparation for the big event. Like that was hard. If you haven’t yet, I really, really  hope you enter. Because there are some SERIOUS prized to be won. Like serious. And I can’t win them. So I want you to instead. Plus I want some inspiration to glean for grilled cheese month NEXT year. Enter and get more info at the Grilled Cheese Academy site.

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese | FoodieCrush.com

This photo of my husband hand modeling is for Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious. We have a thing about using our men for free labor. And have you seen her amazing grilled cheeses? Blueberries on a waffle. And cheese!

And now let’s get to that recipe with more cheese…

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese | FoodieCrush.com

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese | FoodieCrush.com

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese | FoodieCrush.com

Back to the situation at hand, aka, the stacked inferno of cheese. My husband made the “comment” that most of my grilled cheeses of late were a little, um, packed with flavor shall we say? So this time around we’re focusing more on the essence of the grilled cheese sandwich.

Which is cheese.

But of course we can’t just have cheese.  Let’s add some spice. And some pickled peppers. That’s right.

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese

Chorizo and Peppadew Pepper Grilled Cheese

4 slices sturdy white bread—I used 4 slices of Barbara's homemade Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes
2 tablespoons butter
6 ounces Gran Queso cheese, grated (or Spanish-style Manchego)
1/2 cup cooked chorizo sausage
2 pinches of smoked paprika
6 pickled peppadew peppers, sliced

1. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread, then flip the bread buttered side down and repeat with the other 4 slices.
  2. Sprinkle the unbuttered sides of the bread with grated Gran Queso cheese, then a handful of cooked chorizo, a pinch of smoked paprika, then a sprinkling—or more—of sliced peppadew peppers. Top with more cheese and the top slice of bread butter side up.
  3. Place the sandwich, buttered side down, in a non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat and top with the other slice of buttered bread. Cover with lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
  4. Reduce heat to medium and flip sandwich to the other side and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasty golden and the cheese has melted. The second side will cook faster than the first so watch carefully. Repeat process with the other sandwich ingredients to make the other grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy hot.

This weekend I won’t be posting my regularly scheduled Friday Faves because I’m working on something really special for you for next week’s post where I’ll be sharing some of my favorite non-food blog resources. Plus I need some extra energy to keep up with all of the bloggers I’ll be meeting up with at Big Traveling Potluck . Can’t wait to come back to you with a full report.

Have a great weekend, yo!

Thanks for reading and please keep in touch by subscribing to FoodieCrush and follow me on TwitterFacebookPinterestThis site includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to allow me to create new and special content like this for my readers, so thank you for your support. All opinions are my own.

Posted in: sandwiches

Kathryn April 26, 2013 at 2:42 am

Oh yes! This sandwich has everything and more.

Have fun at the Big Travelling Potluck. I can’t wait to follow along on twitter/instagram!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen April 26, 2013 at 4:34 am

Wow, this might be my perfect grilled cheese. Chorizo make my heart sing. And manchego cheese too. Have a great time at the potluck, and bring pictures!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes April 26, 2013 at 4:59 am

I hope you’re fixing these sandwiches at the Big Pot Luck!. They look fantastic. Thanks for the link love. You made my bread look good!

Sophie April 26, 2013 at 6:33 am

I haven’t had grilled cheese in ages, but this looks so yum! Your pictures are AMAZING!

Tieghan April 26, 2013 at 7:21 am

I love this grilled cheese! Seriously, one of my favorites of the month! Holly you!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 26, 2013 at 7:46 am

Amazing Sandwich! I just love the combination of flavors!!

Denise | TLT April 26, 2013 at 8:12 am

No way, seriously Heidi. This almost looks too good;), totally craving this now! You always make me want to eat grilled cheese sandwiches, and this post is no exception.
Wishing you a great weekend, hope you’re well!!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet April 26, 2013 at 8:35 am

Love this stack of grilled cheese amazingness!! Pinning

Barbara | Creative Culinary April 26, 2013 at 8:56 am

I love grilled cheese sandwiches and love creating new ones and this combo is new to me. I started doing some last year on croissants though and can not deny; they are indulgent and amazing.

Can’t wait to see the entries for the contest…or to try eating them!

Donna April 26, 2013 at 9:31 am

I am really sorry I visited you today because now I MUST MAKE THESE. My favorite flavors in a grilled cheese!

JulieD April 26, 2013 at 9:34 am

Looks awesome, Heidi!!

Annalise April 26, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Suddenly the salad I just ate for lunch seems really boring.

Eileen April 26, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Wow! This looks so amazing! You have inspired me to add this to my next week’s menu list. I think I’m going to make it with soy chorizo and roasted red bell pepper. Thanks for making me drool! Love your beautiful photos.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking April 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Your husband sounds like mine! I love adding a ton of ingredients to a sandwich, he would be fine with just cheese. I like your style, so I am alllllll about the combos going on here! I think this is my favorite cheesy creation thus far!

heidi April 29, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Ah, thanks Stefanie. I love it when I beat him out in the flavor dept.

Jenn @ Once Upon a Tier April 26, 2013 at 5:45 pm

uuhhhhh I’m dying over here. Chorizo is my absolute favorite. I need to have this grilled cheese, stat.

Emily April 26, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I have no idea what peppadew peppers are but I must try them!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) April 26, 2013 at 11:15 pm

That is one incredible grilled cheese!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious April 28, 2013 at 1:33 pm

A towering grilled cheese inferno?!! YES AND YES! And dude, awesome hubbie hand modeling shot – what with the green shirt for the nice contrast and that perfectly 65% elbow angle… I’ll have to show these shots to Jason so he can learn from the best. :)

Btw, great seeing this weekend. I was quite miserable but I learned my lesson – alcohol and I don’t mix!

Jen @ Savory Simple April 29, 2013 at 5:55 am

Chorizo in grilled cheese. I think this is my definition of heaven in a sandwich.

Cassie | Bake Your Day April 29, 2013 at 7:49 am

Totally wish I had one of these for breakfast right now. Love this sandwich and LOVED meeting you this weekend!! You are wonderful!

heidi April 29, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Looooved meeting you this weekend too, definitely a highlight and can’t wait to make it happen again way sooner than later.

Amarie at The CottonwoodJournals.com April 29, 2013 at 8:17 am

Looks amazing!

ashley - baker by nature April 29, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Oh my gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd, lady! Stop making me like you even MORE! Seriously, this grilled cheese needs to meet my face asap! xx

FoodFlav September 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm

This looks just lovely. I made a similar recipe last week; we were drowning in those last week. Thanks for sharing.