With The Super Bowl blowing up television screens and beer kegs nationwide, there will be plenty of eyeballs glued to the screen. Will they be watching the game? Shhushing fellow T.V. watchers during the commercials? Or anxiously awaiting to judge the lip syncing skills of Beyonce? You go girl.
Sure that’s all part of the fun, but for wayyyyy more of us its all about the food. Americana at its gluttonous best with antacids and Ibuprofen on stand-by, ready to remedy too much revelry when the San Francisco 49ers come home with the ring. That’s right. My team is coming home with the big V.
The recipe for Daddy’s Hamburgers is an homage to the 49ers in a way. My grandparents immigrated to San Francisco, the only place they lived besides communist Germany and it’s where my dad was born and raised until he came to Utah to play college basketball and much to my mom’s distress, stayed because of the great hunting in Utah and Idaho. SF is in my family’s blood, it’s one of my favorite cities and the niners were always a special connection with my dad, the ultimate T.V. sports fan.
Watching 49er games with D was a ritual, not in a weird get dressed in a jersey way—which my husband has done for each game this season—but in a let’s get behind this team and show we care way. Somehow I married a niner’s fan, it was where we took our first trip together, and it’s now Smudge’s favorite team too. What a surprise, she’s such a daddy’s girl.
This is my dad’s specialty, one that when I called him to get the recipe, he had made just the night before! When my dad cooks, he is very precise, making even cuts of cheese squares to top basic hamburger topped french rolls or ciabatta. We still call them hamburgers even though they’re topped with cheese, because that’s how my dad has always done it.
It all looks way too simple to taste as delicious as it does. The secret is the pats of butter that melt down into the burger meat co-mingling with worcestershire sauce to create a juicy, lickable drip down each side of your cheering for the 49er’s gameface. (Please win. Please win.)
Time to dig into a pile of napkins, turn down the T.V. during the game and turn it up during the commercials, and take in some Friday Faves.
1. In honor of the 49er’s and my husband, you too need his new favorite hat, supporting and bringing awareness to breast cancer. What guy doesn’t look good in pink?
2. If hats aren’t your thing, then whilst planning your own football fashion forward wardrobe be sure to think about the day’s menu. Luckily you’ll need to look no further than Jessica’s totally comprehensive football friendly list of recipes. There’s only 135 to choose froml. Now what’s the spread on that?
3. This week’s blog crush: Natasha immediately put me under her spell with the mere words, “I topped each custard with four fluffy kisses of Swiss meringue, which I lightly torched to toasty. For a little crunch, I added hazelnut brittle, which has an intensely nutty flavor.” Oh is that all? If only I had a nugget of mixing like that. And then I scrolled through her photos. And then I got a lump in my throat thanks to my stomach doing back flips because it was so excited. Jump over to her blog, quick.
4. It seems like the discussion of blogger’s financial incentives for creating sponsored blog posts has been showing up everywhere I look lately. Dianne took a stab at exploring the topic of sponsored posts with Lori who shares her successful recipe for working with brands. While I could have made practically an entire blog post from my possibly too enthusiastically lengthy comment, I appreciate Dianne giving us all the opportunity to continue the conversation. What do you think of sponsored posts, giveaways and advertising overall on blogs?
5. Have you discovered Vine App yet? I was a tad reluctant to join yet another social media outlet, but I must admit, I have a feeling I’m going to be hooked. Vine is a cross between Twitter’s truncated 140 character count, Instagram’s voyeuristic visual glimpse into other’s lives in video clips just 6 seconds long. And it’s a challenge to create them! I like the control of Videolicious better, but the creative challenge is addicting. The minuses to the app came in the first few days and included a shut down for a few days due to an unintended influx of porn and Facebook’s blockage of it being used on their site. Chickens. My first video took 4 tries. Way better than the night before’s idea that was totally scrapped. My second video featured my kitchen clean-up crew and obviously was taken in one take before it was licked clean. Come on, follow me to see where this new obsession goes.
6. I also downloaded the 30/30 app this week in hopes it will keep me focused on focusing and not going down the rabbit hole of social media discoveries. What do you do to keep focused. I’m up for any advice please!
7. I can be converted to pretty much anything if its in a pretty package. Does it have to be functional? Not necessarily, but so glad this soap is and therefore sits pretty in each of my bathrooms.
8. Have you seen The Super Bowl Puppy Predictions and the puppy cam? Puppy breath and spoiler alert: They’re WRONG I TELL YOU!
9. People ask me all the time what do I miss about living in Los Angeles. My typical answer is: the cheap ethnic food of every flavor, especially ramen; my nightly walks through the Venice canals with my dogs; and the friends I met and miss. But what about the shopping? Sure I had my favorite boutiques, but Rodeo Drive is not something I miss. But, AHA! I forgot about the Warehouse sale, where twice a year women of all shapes and sizes would strip down to their skivvies in makeshift aisles in a hangar at the Santa Monica airport to try on designer duds at super discounted prices. My father in law went with us once and thought he’d become Jed Clampatt and struck oil watching all the those botoxed beauties in the buff. I got the BEST shoes there every year, several of which I still wear daily. Shoes are the one thing you never cheap out on in a wardrobe. And now the Warehouse Sale will be available all year long, 365. I can’t wait to go shoe shopping.
10. Our final Super Bowl homage goes to wings. Did someone mention wings? Thanks to Lenny & Denise for they’re spicy, sweet, buffaloed, sticky, barbequed win round-up. I’m in.
Happy Superbowl everybody, and may the best Harbaugh win.
Thanks for reading and please keep in touch. This post includes affiliate shopping links of which I receive a small percentage of sales to help keep this blog and magazine going so thanks for your support. Subscribe to FoodieCrush and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and check out FoodieCrush magazine.