Microwave Egg and Vegetable Breakfast Sandwich

by heidi on January 10, 2013

Egg & Veggie Sandwich from FoodieCrush.com

It’s been 6 months since I quit my job and became a solopreneur. Taking ma’ bizness into my own hands and saying goodbye to an office full of officemates.

Since that time, I’ve often thought about the mornings I’d have to hustle about the house, trying to get it all together to make it to work in time. In time to drive to work, walk over to Whole Foods to get a coffee to go, head into the office, check e-mail, see what’s up on Twitter, check in with co-workers. You know, the mundane routine you do to ease into the work day.

Egg & Veggie Sandwich from FoodieCrush.com

I never used to eat breakfast before I went to work. It wasn’t that it was a running-out-of-time-oh-hell-I’m-going-to-be-late thing, it was mostly that my stomach wasn’t tying itself into knots crying out in pain for food so I figured I could wait a little longer ’til it spoke up. Plus, making breakfast at work as a nice.little.diversion from work.

So after I’d finished my morning office round-about-routine I would make my eggs for breakfast. In the office. “Wow!” you must be thinking to yourself, “you had a full test kitchen at your office. Cool!” Um, no. So I came up with an alternative cooking method…

How I miss the stinky little mini fridge. And the sink. Oh wait, we didn’t have a sink, how quickly I forget I had to clean anything I used in the women’s restroom. And the stove! No, not the stove, silly, I meant the microwave and the cheap little Sunbeam toaster I bought for my mates. Those three little appliances were like the Little Train that could, the Energizer bunny that never stopped and a Timex watche that just kept ticking.

Egg & Veggie Sandwich from FoodieCrush.com

Once upon a time I was a young, naive cook who followed each and every cooking direction as if I was picking up clues to solve a murder on Law & Order. I didn’t deviate from the traditional Cooking Order. At that time I never would have thought to cook eggs anywhere other than on the stovetop. Especially not in the microwave. Ew.

I’m betting you’ve seen those weird egg cookers, the ones on “As Seen On T.V.” and at Bed Bath & Beyond, spouting the incredible powers of cooking the perfect egg in the microwave. To me there seemed to be something philosophically wrong with the concept of cooking my beloved protein package by way of electromagnetic radiation.

Until I made up my own way to do it.

Before I made up the office egg sandwich, most mornings I would make oatmeal with a banana in the microwave. But then I decided I needed more protein. So I started bringing hard boiled eggs to work. But then I would forget to boil the eggs the night before. I needed something I could cook at work. Aha! A carton of egg whites and a couple of recyclable Bamboo bowls. Which led me to the sandwich. The Microwave Egg Sandwich.

Egg & Veggie Sandwich from FoodieCrush.com

Within the time it takes to toast a slice of bread, bagel thin or english muffin, you’ll have hot eggs ready to load onto a veggie filled sandwich. The secret to cooking eggs in the microwave is cooking them for 1 minute 30 seconds. Egg whites puff up pretty high, above the lip of the bowl, but as soon as the time is over, they deflate right away. Your micro might cook hotter, or not, so do a test run first and keep an eye on them to be sure they don’t overflow. Soon enough you’ll know exactly the right measurement for your size bowl.

The sandwiches can really include any favorite ingredient you want to add and whatever you have on hand. I prefer to use egg whites but you could also use whole eggs, they just won’t have as much lift. Sometimes I toss in grated parmesan to the eggs, other times I spread a bit of goat cheese or a wedge of Laughing Cow spreadable cheese on a toasted bagel thin to give it a quick melt. I usually add in fresh spinach but some days I have tomatoes or mushrooms on hand so they jump into the pool too. And there’s always a dose of hot sauce or Cholula to top it all off.

I no longer have an office to make my a.m. sandwich in, which makes my sandwich all the tastier. And while there will always be things I’ll miss about my old work, and hopefully some things they miss about me, I’m pretty sure one thing they DON’T miss is the smell of eggs wafting through the office’s mid-morning air. At my new office my dogs and I don’t mind at all.

Microwave Egg and Vegetable Breakfast Sandwich

Serving Size: one sandwich

Microwave Egg and Vegetable Breakfast Sandwich

¾ cup egg whites
10-15 fresh spinach leaves
1 wedge Laughing Cow Herb & Garlic Cheese
2 slices tomato
2-4 slices avocado
kosher salt

1. Toast bagel thin in the toaster or toaster oven. In a small bowl (I used disposable bowls at the office) add egg whites and spinach leaves, season with kosher salt. Place in microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, keeping an eye on the eggs so they don’t overflow.
  2. Smear wedge of cheese on toasted bagel thin and add slices of tomato. Spoon egg out of bowl in a single patty and place on top of cheese and tomato, top with avocado. Season with more salt and hot sauce if desired.

Thanks for reading and please keep in touch. Subscribe to Foodie Crush and follow me on  TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out Foodie Crush magazine and  Cookie Cravings Holiday Cookie Cookbook.

Posted in: breakfast and brunch,recipes,sandwiches,vegetables and fruits

marla January 10, 2013 at 5:56 am

Yes please! 4 breakfast, lunch + dinner :)

Joanie @ Zagleft January 10, 2013 at 5:59 am

I’ve never made eggs in the microwave but I need to try this. This is a perfect breakfast idea for my college kids. Thanks for a great recipe!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl January 10, 2013 at 6:11 am

I love using the micro for eggs but I’ve never added spinach!! Love this. :)

Cookin' Canuck January 10, 2013 at 6:29 am

I am ALL OVER this breakfast sandwich! I can imagine you wizarding this brilliant little concoction up at the office, with the microwave, toaster oven…and then the sink in the restroom. Love it!

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection January 10, 2013 at 6:54 am

I make oatmeal almost every morning too. This is a great idea that is just as easy and quick to prepare. And you could switch things up by adding different veggies and Laughing Cow cheese flavors. Definitely experimenting with this recipe for a welcomed change from my daily oatmeal!

heidi January 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Agreed! This is the ultimate customize what you want recipe.

Maria January 10, 2013 at 7:49 am

Too funny! I make this same sandwich…only open faced on whole wheat toast!

Lauren Grier @ (Climbing Grier Mountain) January 10, 2013 at 7:51 am

Ha! I seriously thought I was the only one on this planet that had to wash dishes in the bathroom. It’s the worst.

I can’t wait to give this recipe a try. I’m always looking for quick breakfast meals that are made up of “real” food. You may have saved my life:)

Bev @ Bev Cooks January 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

YYYYYYYYES. this is my favorite thing too! I’m gonna go make it now. Bam.

Kristen January 10, 2013 at 8:32 am

This would get every morning started off on the right foot. LOVE this!

Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa January 10, 2013 at 8:51 am

Looks delicious! I love breakfast and I love how quick this is. Perfect for on-the-goers!

Cindy Eikenberg January 10, 2013 at 8:59 am

What an awesome idea and so great to have a fresh, easy idea for breakfast…a meal that is always so rushed with all we have to do in the morning. Your photos are truly inspiring…I really think you could make a mud sandwich look tempting! Have a great Thursday!

Martha January 10, 2013 at 9:02 am

looks wonderful. What do you do with the rest of the avocado? Have you found a way to keep it for more than a day in the frig with lime juice on it?

heidi January 10, 2013 at 11:32 am

I cut the avocado in half and slice the half without the pit while sill in the shell and scoop out what i need. Then save the half of the avocado with the pit and marry the two halves back together, wrap in plastic and put in the fridge. It keeps it from browning for a day or so.

Sapna January 10, 2013 at 9:05 am

Looks Yum!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 10, 2013 at 9:11 am

Loooove how easy this is! Yum!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom January 10, 2013 at 10:02 am

Heidi, love this!! I must have missed that you quit your job. . thanks for sharing. . I totally know how you feel. I quit my full-time job back in July to stay at home with the kids. Since we were still adjusting with our move to WA and my oldest was starting kindergarten, it felt like the right time for me + the girls. My husband was waiting for this day for a longggg time. I totally miss work, my job, my co-workers . . but being home now with the girls full-time (while they are still young) + the fact that we can afford to do this, makes me feel very grateful.
I’m so happy for you. . that you are doing what you love and are passionate about! AND this means more FoodieCrush for us, so I am thrilled! :) Cheers!

heidi January 10, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thanks Alice, so glad you’re one of the crew. It was a long time coming and a lot of work to make it happen but so far it’s been amazing. Plus I feel so lucky to have a community of online co-workers to grow with. Congrats to you too.

Donna @ What the Dog Ate January 10, 2013 at 11:03 am

So do you just toss the container that you microwaved the egg in? I love a good egg sandwich myself but any time I’ve cooked it in the micowave, I’ve spent more time cleaning out the bowl than the time it took to make the whole darn sandwich.

heidi January 10, 2013 at 11:22 am

When I was at work I would toss the bowl since we didn’t have a sink to wash it in. That’s why I tried as often as possible to use Bamboo brand recycled bowls.

Rachel Cooks January 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’ve had good luck with a little non-stick spray, makes clean up of glass bowls a lot easier.

Rachel Cooks January 10, 2013 at 11:55 am

Love this! It would be perfect for my husband.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking January 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

This is genius. I work from home three days a week and I think I would still make this in the microwave.

Lily Sheng January 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I’ve always had the egg explode on me when poaching in the microwave for more than 30 seconds at a time! Later I read somewhere that one should first prick the yolk with the tip of a knife so that steam can escape during the microwaving process. Have you run into that problem? Oh and though I’m addicted to this easy egg poaching technique, does anyone see any health related issue with eating microwaved egg everyday? I just can’t bring myself to eat hard boiled eggs everyday and who has time to always scramble up eggs, make omlettes, etc?

heidi January 10, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I usually cook egg whites in the microwave rather than the full egg, but the pricking of the yolk is probably a safe bet. I use my microwave nearly every day for one thing or another and honestly, I’m more worried about what my cell phone is doing to my brain and my computer to my eyes at this point. :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day January 10, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I’ll go ahead and have one of these every day. I love it.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 10, 2013 at 9:43 pm

This looks like such a great breakfast, I love tons of veggies with my eggs!

Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up January 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

I am totally the “running-out-of-time-oh-hell-I’m-going-to-be-late” person. And my office already has a toaster and microwave. I think these are going to be my breakfast from now on. No more oatmeal for me!!!!

Margaret at The Right Recipe January 13, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Well done! Beautiful breakfast sandwich!

Cookie and Kate January 15, 2013 at 11:45 am

I sure don’t miss that early morning scramble to get to work on time, but I love this idea. I usually just roll out of bed and into the kitchen for quick bread with peanut butter. I’m gonna give this a go the next time I need a super quick meal. My dad also has an unfortunate love for egg mcmuffins so I’m sending him the link, too!

Radhika January 16, 2013 at 9:11 pm

This sandwich sounds wonderful especially as it is cooked in the microwave and not on stove top. I’m sure a friend of mine will love very much.

Lara January 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I can say that this recipe is delicious! I prepared yesterday and today there were none …. They are also a very versatile recipe and can be eaten at any time of day and are very easy to carry! I know your blog and I LOVE

Christina W. January 20, 2013 at 5:36 am

Now im even sadder my work banned toasters and toaster ovens after a coworker burnt a pizza in the toaster oven and the smoke sent off the fire alarm.

Jill January 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I would also try a different version with feta and pesto, or roasted red pepper and hummus :)

Sonja January 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Yum – sometimes nothing is better than a sandwich! That photo is stunning.

dawn February 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

My mother used to make scrambled eggs in the microwave all the time….. anyway, I am def going to try this because it looks AWESOME!!

Mollie April 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm

This makes a perfect little egg patty in a mug, too. Spray first with pam for easy removal.

cowgirl birthday party ideas June 29, 2013 at 3:17 am

What’s up to all, because I am truly eager of reading this web site’s post to be updated on
a regular basis. It consists of nice information.

Ruxandra @Gourmandelle July 14, 2013 at 4:48 am

Beautiful photos and delicous recipe! Loved it! I featured it on my blog too in the 20 Healthy Egg Recipes for Breakfast post.

healthier eating habits August 4, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Most of us tend to think that if we take more of a supplement
we will actually be helping ourselves. A six year study at Harvard found a 21% to 34% reduction in prostate cancer risk for men that consumed between five to seven servings a week of tomatoes and or tomato
products. They found that there was a 50% reduction in heart disease
risk with those that consumed a high level of
lycopene.

New to cooking January 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Thank you for posting this, I’m excited to try it. In the picture, what are you soaking the spinach in? Is it EVOO or something else?

Samira August 14, 2014 at 9:58 am

I am really grateful to the holder of this web page who
has shared this impressive post at at this place.

LKayWin November 4, 2014 at 10:36 am

I was wondering on the nutrition facts for this recipe, so I went to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator where you can enter a recipe’s ingredients to get the nutritional information. This is what I got for the following ingredients:
Thomas’ Bagel Thin- Everything (1)
Large egg whites (2)
Spinach leaves (1/2 cup)
Laughing Cow light garlic & herb cheese spread (1 wedge)
Tomato slices (2)
Avocado slices (3)
Kosher salt (1/2 tsp)
Cholula hot sauce (1/2 tsp)

241 calories; 30g carbohydrates; 7g fat; 16g protein; 1503mg sodium; 5g sugar

Obviously not a low-sodium meal but simply leaving out the 1/2 tsp salt will reduce the sodium by 960mg, and using a little less of the cheese spread and/or a different bagel thin will also reduce the sodium (everything bagels tend to have the most sodium)

I am very excited to try this one out- I have all the ingredients on my shopping list!

heidi November 4, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for doing all of that work! Enjoy.