Sensory overload and I love every minute of it.
Freshly cut pine boughs as you brush by the tree. Cinnamon and cloves gently lollying in a saucepan of hot apple cider. The overwhelming wall of perfume spritzers as you enter the department store. And hot deliciousness baking in the oven.
They’re the smells of Christmas.
Between creating homemade gifts for the neighbors and keeping up with Smudge’s cookie cutter creation requests, I’ll be baking up a storm this month.
Luckily I have plenty of recipe inspiration to keep the cookies coming. But I’ll also be churning out some of my family faves, the cookies my mom, sister and I used to create while dad spent the day watching a myriad of games on the old black and white.
One of the easiest recipes we would whip up were the classic no-bake holiday wreath cookies with those little red hot berries. I never did like those berries, they were just too hard for my taste.
This year I did some updating to the recipe, making it creamier, mintier and chewier with my newly minted—DOH!—White Chocolate Peppermint Wreath Cookies. Just like Mr. Mac says, “I think you’re gonna like them.”
- Prepare baking sheet with wax paper. Butter wax paper and set aside.
- In large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted, scraping sides of pan so sugar crystals don’t form.
- Turn heat to low. Add peppermint extract and green food coloring and mix well. Add white chocolate chips and stir until melted. Add cereal and mix well until all cereal flakes are well coated.
- Coat hands with some of remaining tablespoon of butter. Take about 1/4 cup of cereal mixture and form wreath shapes on wax paper coated baking sheet. Decorate each wreath with 3-6 cinnamon candy halves, cut side down.
- Allow to cool for about an hour before serving. Store in an airtight container in single layers separated by wax paper or on baking sheet covered in plastic wrap for 4-5 days.
So let’s keep that holiday cheer rolling with a few Friday Faves, shall we?
1. The next issue of FoodieCrush, holiday style. Oh, it is so almost here. Stay tuned my fellow lovers of food bloggers.
2. Meeting new food bloggers left and right, hanging with my conference buddy Marian, praying my presentation file doesn’t go corrupt and that I’m not smiling at everyone with a chunk of food stuck in my teeth. Loving every minute of it at Mixed Conference with big Props to Paula and Susan for bringing together this lovely group.
3. You know how you see something on Pinterest, and you love it, but you KNOW it’ll be going on sale, but you’re not sure when and what if you totally miss out on it thanks to your dickering and debating? There’s a site for that. Hukkster. It’s like Pinterest but alerts you when your faves go on sale. I got it. You should too.
4. If you haven’t yet plotted and planned your holiday card, and you’re a fan of Instagram, this holiday card idea for delivering your message might be right up your jingle bell alley.
5. There are too many people who won’t have a warm coat this holiday season. Do your part, donate one today. onewarmcoat.org via @DesoveUSA
6. Tim shares the secret to perfectly aerated wine thanks to a VERY unusual method. Since it involves wine paired with an electrical appliance aka power tool my husband was giddy to give it a try. It totally works. You gotta see this one.
7. Ali wants to help us by deleting some of the wait time. So she shows us how to create a shortcut iPhone app of your favorite food blogs.
8. I. Want. This. Bag. In orange of course. Perfect for packing the computer through the airport.
9. Nothing says selflessness more than giving something from the heart. Except for something from the heart that was made in the kitchen. Aimee’s round-up of 20 DIY foodie gifts has you covered all the way from Hanukkah to New Years.
10. Speaking of Hanukkah, you don’t have to be Jewish to break out the dreidel and check out Tori’s amazingness in her latke-filled kitchen. Spoiler alert in a sing-songey voice: More of Tori’s fabness will be featured in the upcoming issue of FoodieCrush!!
Happy weekend to ya’ll!