Friday Faves and Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes

by heidi on November 2, 2012

Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes from foodiiecrush.com

For so many, this week cannot get over soon enough.

The focus has certainly been on the weather fiasco that has swept away homes and memories along the upper East Coast. With so many people who will be digging out from under Sandy’s destruction for some time ahead, it’s hard for those of us distanced from the front line to know exactly how to help. But there is a way to help, by simply going online and donating to relief efforts. And don’t forget about the animals, they’re in need too.

Come this time next week, we’ll have chosen the man for the job of Prez. Do your duty, voting is a privilege that millions wish they had and could impact targeted spending to clean up future disasters.

In the meantime, here are a few of my faves from the week. I’ve added in a few more laughs than usual, just because so many of us need ‘em, starting off with a nod to compliment my recipe for Maple Chipotle Sweet Potatoes.

1. This video has totally gotten me warmed up for Thanksgiving cooking, gimme brown shuuugaaa! (via @foodiewithfam)

2. I baked my husband this cake for his birthday. We were at about 6,500 feet and it came out not at all like Annalise’s version. What happened to my cake? If only I would have had this handy dandy guide.

3. I use Google Chrome as my main web browser and love the apps feature it provides. This is my absolutely favorite app installed right into my browser bar so I can quickly and easily see all of my favorite food bloggers in living color.

4. Mushrooms. Pasta. Craving this now.

5. For all of my fellow Parenthood obsessors, this is for YOU! (via @bethanynauert)

6. Browning beef doesn’t have to be all THAT serious, it’s more fun with some comic relief. (via @dineanddish)

7. Oh man, when can I move in?

8. I wish I’d thought of this idea for the blog. Following and pinning this edible type.

9. What Bittman and Faricant have to say about food blogs, Instagram and whether the printed cookbook is an endangered species.

10. Tweet of the week: “Just saying but if I have to fill out the captcha code 4 times, you’re probably not going to get a comment from me.” (via @mtnmamacooks.) Me neither, just sayin’.

Here’s to November and a month of delicious eats. Have a good weekend yo!

Subscribe to Foodie Crush and follow me on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out Foodie Crush magazine and Cookie Cravings

Posted in: friday faves,recipes,salads and sides,vegetables and fruits

Averie @ Averie Cooks November 2, 2012 at 2:54 am

Love your lists and love chipotle sweet potatoes! I made some chipotle sweet potato and zucchini fritters a few weeks ago and now need to make these – with maple. Yum!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl November 2, 2012 at 5:32 am

Love this list – have a great weekend! PS: I heart all things sweet potato.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 2, 2012 at 6:17 am

This is such a lovely side. Yum!

Lori @ RecipeGirl November 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

Well, Bittman didn’t have a whole lot to say about food blogs, did he? And that captcha thing… KILLS ME! Happy weekend!

Bev @ Bev Cooks November 2, 2012 at 8:30 am

Two things:

1) ABSOLUTELY agree with #10. I mean REALLY.

2) I have to make a version of your sweet potatoes on Monday for my job. Don’t hate me when you see something kind of in the same vein! ;)

Okay 3 things:

3) Yours makes me cry. I need it.

heidi November 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Ah Bev, I could NEVER hate you. And there’s plenty of recipes to go around, even if we mirror each other! More to share.

Kristen November 2, 2012 at 9:24 am

That parenthood video made my day! Thank you!
And the captcha thing? YES! Blogger blogs have the WORST captcha’s. I feel blind, old and dumb after trying to figure it out!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet November 2, 2012 at 9:49 am

Totally agree on nr.10. Thank you for nr.5!! Maple sweet potatoes AND chipotle – oh yes!

Gin November 2, 2012 at 10:30 am

This is def a go-to (minus the maple) when I can’t figure out a good side for good ‘ole plain meat. How do you always make everything look sooo amaze! I want to eat those up as the main dish!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking November 2, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yum! Great flavor combo! I also agree with number 10. Kiiiinda annoying!

Delishhh November 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

Love your friday faves. I used Feedly too and love it! Just tried it on chrome and it’s awesome!! I love fall food, don’t necessary like the dark and the cold but love the food!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} November 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

I’d like a bowl of those sweet potatoes right now along with a babysitter and remote control. That would make the perfect afternoon, no?

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes November 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Right on with #10!!! Happy Friday!

Brian @ A Thought For Food November 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I do love your Friday Fave posts! Going to download that Chrome app right now!

Also, thanks for the link about donating! There are so many wonderful ways people can help.

heidi November 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Thanks Brian, there is so much that will need to be done to get people and homes back to speed.

Nikki @Pennies on a Platter November 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I don’t like to fill out CAPTCHA even once! So, def agree!!

heidi November 2, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Wow, this favorite is getting a lot of attention! I think we should form a coaltion to inform bloggers they’re losing out on comments with it.

Becky November 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Pinning these for my thanksgiving table!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom November 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm

OMG, I love this!! I love your Friday faves. . and Parenthood is my FAVE show. . so glad you shared this video. . and the Shiitake Mushroom Spaghetti. Wow, thank you! :)

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom November 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Also, tweet of the week is awesome.

Cassie | Bake Your Day November 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm

The captcha tweet – I’m in on that. I give up after 2 times. And that video could not be better. Can’t get enough of Parenthood!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen November 2, 2012 at 5:20 pm

That Parenthood video slays me!

The Healthy Apple November 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Your Friday Fav’s always make me smile. These sweet potatoes look amazing! Miss you and hope you had a great Halloween! xoxo

Laura (Tutti Dolci) November 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Chipotle with sweet potatoes is the best!

hcg November 28, 2013 at 12:52 am

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written
and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any suggestions for newbie blog writers? I’d genuinely
appreciate it.