Friday Faves and Matsuhisa Cucumber Martini Recipe

by heidi on September 14, 2012

Ah, nothing like topping off a week of work like a hard, HARD, HARD-shaken cocktail.

Back in the day when I was the Creative Director for a publishing company in Los Angeles, I made plenty o’ trips trans-US—to NYC for photo shoots—that were a total perk of the jobbie job because my husband usually tagged along and we’d make a vacation of it after all of the hard work was done.

Matsuhisa Martini Recipe from FoodieCrush.com

On one of our first forays to the Big Apple we both knew we had to experience the best sushi in the City. We had our assignment thanks to our well-heeled L.A./NYC friendlies, who advised there was no place better than Nobu—the crown jewel of everything sushi of the moment—as our destination.

But there was a slight problem: No reservation = no service.

If there’s anything about me and my man that you should know right now, it’s that we don’t always play by the rules. The parking lot is for VIP passes only? We tip the guy to let us in. The line to the bathroom is up the wazoo? We enter through the exit door. Those awesome seats right up front that we didn’t pay $250 for? Well, let’s just say we’ll give it the old college try. It’s just the way we roll, and we usually end up in the winner’s circle and nobody gets hurt in the process.

Matsuhisa Martini Recipe from FoodieCrush.com

So what? We wanted to experience the number one-rated sushi restaurant in New York City and we didn’t have a reservation? Let’s just see what happens.

What ended up happening was us stepping out of our cab, being whisked right into the restaurant, seated at a primo table and asked what we’d like to drink.

“Well, our kind waiter, we were waiters once a-time too. We know the drill and we know that you know what’s best. Just set us up for the night with whatever you and the Chef recommend.”

And this my friends, was the best meal of the first 15 years of our marriage (we’ve been married nearly 20, so there must be another one in there’s somewhere.)

And it all started off with the martini.

This cocktail has become our go-to drink—summer or winter—hands down. The fact that we have such fond memories of savoring the most delectable hamachi, yellow tail sashimi and the most perfect uni while rubbing elbows and swapping stories with A-list celebs as the line outside grew longer and longer doesn’t hurt much either.

Barbara prompted the re-creation of this drink and our fond memories and it is happily included in celebrating Creative Culinary‘s Friday Cocktail posts with an amazing round-up of 30 blogger recipes made just for this celebration. Clink, clinks! Oh, did I mention there’s an awesome giveaway? Check it people. And here’s to you.

Friday Faves and Matsuhisa Martini Recipe

Friday Faves and Matsuhisa Martini Recipe

4 ounces quality vodka
4 ounces sake
4 pieces pickled ginger
4-6 thin slices small english cucumber for garnish
ice

1. Combine vodka, sake, pickled ginger and ice in a shaker. Shake REALLY well, until your arms give out.
  2. Divide into two martini glasses and garnish with cucumber slices.
  3. Drink immediately.

And now my friends, find a yummy cocktail or non-alcoholic lemonade, sit back and enjoy some of my Friday Faves.

1. After posting my Tasty Tomatillo Shrimp recipe, it looks like seafood and those sticky little green buggers are on more than just my brain. Check out Sarah’s rendition of another seafood tomatillo treat .

2. Because so many aspiring photogs want to know, Jenn shares another terrific photo tutorial and if you haven’t visited her blog yet, do yourself a favor and jump on over. It’s gorgeous.

3. Last week I needed a key lime pie recipe for a special birthday and you guys gave me some great suggestions on Twitter and Facebook (you’re following right?). This was the key lime pie I made and it was BEYOND the BOMB! Highly recommend any day of the week.

4. I’m kicking off my seasonal pumpkin obsession thanks to Shawn’s Pumpkin Cheesecake Ice Cream. I can die happy now.

5. Okay this is off the food topic, but if you’ve ever battled the demons I have for the past two days you’ll appreciate this advice. So what is that demon? Cold sores. Here’s how I combat them thanks to natural health supplements: As soon as I feel the first tingle of a cold sore I start popping 3,000 mg of L-Lysine supplements every 3-4 hours until I feel the symptoms and swelling subside. No drugs or over the counter hocus pocus required.

6. Love, love, love this post from Amy showing the beauty of a simple poached egg—GORGEOUS BEYOND—with several tips on how to perfect the gooeyness. Amy’s confession that she doesn’t always have the typical blogger’s gift for gab, I hear ‘ya lady, but nevertheless, you have some mad photo and blogging skills we all admire.

7. From wrapping paper to eye-makeup, this Pinterest board puts a burger on it.

8. Okay, just because we need a laugh break, check out these photobombers.

9. Ah yes, Kristen strikes again. Check out her lastest iPhone camera editing discovery and judge for yourself

10. Best Tweet of the week: “To be a successful ebook author you must be a good marketer. – so true! #kitchenparty.” via #techmunch’s founder Babette @bakespace

Thanks for reading and please keep in touchSubscribe to Foodie Crush and follow me on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out Foodie Crush magazine and  Cookie Cravings cookbook.

Posted in: drinks and cocktails,friday faves,recipes

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 14, 2012 at 4:58 am

I need to get on this! Yum!

Amy September 14, 2012 at 6:09 am

So, are you going to share how you were whisked in? Did y’all just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Do tell.

Totally checking out that iPhone app. Many thanks to Kristen!

(And once again, your photography … just wow.)

Erin September 14, 2012 at 6:25 am

I’m not usually a martini girl but I do love the look of these (and the flavors!) I also agree- it never hurts to ask/try, all you can get is “no” :)

Paula September 14, 2012 at 7:46 am

You are quite the story teller and I’d love to hear how you were just whisked right out of the cab and into the restaurant! What a fun evening! I would have totally felt like an imposter the entire evening but then again, I’ve never had a lot of nerve for things like that.

Great looking martini!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking September 14, 2012 at 8:25 am

This recipe makes me crave sushi! OMG the photo bombing animals, too funny! FYI I have reluctantly given into my husband and in-laws rule breaking and line cutting ways because they always get away with it! So I understand where you and your husband are coming from. You never know if you don’t try, right?

Karista @Karista's Kitchen September 14, 2012 at 9:13 am

Heidi, You are so the cool kid on the blog. :) Love the story! Love, love this martini and I think it’s going to be my weekend indulgence.

Rebecca {Foodie With Family} September 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

You’d better dish on how you got whisked in, lady. And also? (I know you know this is coming) I’ve never had a martini. Wanna make one for me?

Brooke September 14, 2012 at 9:55 am

Love the photo’s on this one! Also, I made the chicken enchiladas-delish! I tagged you in my instagram post. Bill was a happy man. Thanks

Jessica September 14, 2012 at 10:00 am

holy crap. could your photos be ANY more gorgeous?!

Annalise September 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

Love the story in this post. I must start tagging along, as I’m too timid to do anything but follow the rules. Or maybe I can just live vicariously through you.

Lori @ RecipeGirl September 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm

cold sores- seriously? That works???

bridget {bake at 350} September 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Um, can I please hang out with you and your hubby?

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm

This looks so good! My hubby and I also don’t play by the rules a lot of times :) Life is too boring that way! ha ha

Delishhh September 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Need one of those drinks and love the Friday Faves!

Jenn September 15, 2012 at 1:38 am

Thanks so much Heidi for the mention and the wonderful compliments! And this martini looks perfectly refreshing, love it!

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 15, 2012 at 7:29 am

Thanks for joining me Heidi; it’s fun to see such a varied group of cocktails from friends and you have brought a gorgeous one to the table. I just attended a local sake tasting and was sent home with a nice bottle…I can’t wait to try this martini!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 15, 2012 at 8:26 am

Those photos are just gorgeous, Heidi!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme September 15, 2012 at 2:30 pm

What a martini! Cucumber, ginger, sake, and vodka…wow. And I can also vouch for the L-Lysine treatment for cold sores. I’ve been doing that for probably 15 years and it knocks those pesky things right out. I have found that you must take the first dose *immediately* upon feeling the first tingle for it to be most effective.

Kathryn September 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Lol…I’m the complete opposite, I’m such a play by the rules girl (probably because I’m an accountant and also quite a lot to do with being English) and so I admire your attitude!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook September 16, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Love your style Heidi!!! We have dined at Nobu in Melbourne, and although Mr is not a big sushi fan he thoroughly enjoyed the grilled wagyu selection there – one of the best he’s tasted. Love this cucumber martini – bring on summer!

vianney September 19, 2012 at 12:43 am

I am all over this festive cocktail and your pics are AMAZING!! The second shot is my fav. I am so fond of this style~