Crushing On > Interview with Brian Samuels of A Thought for Food

by heidi on June 6, 2012

Whether he’s giving us multiple reasons to drool as he leads us on a visual culinary tour of some of his favorite eating establishments or sharing the bounty of his CSA with new ways to enjoy veggies Brian Samuels speaks about food the same way he would speak of his grandmother, with respect and love.

Brian’s popular food blog, A Thought for Food, is in many ways like many blogs: a collection of personal stories, observations and tempting recipes. But Brian delves beyond the surface of traditional food blogging and gives his blog something special: his heart and voice.

Whether giving his devout readers back to basic tips for making your own butter or creating new twists on classic favorites, Brian unapologetically shares his personality—the good, bad and the naughty often topped off with an inspiring cocktail recipe and drool-worthy photography—Brian creates a welcome space in the blogosphere to sit back and savor.

Thanks to shared snippets of restrained enthusiasm for the life he shares with his husband Eric, his dog Maki and good, good friends, both online and off, Brian creates a welcoming space in the blogosphere to sit back and savor.

I had the opportunity to sit down with Brian and learn more about his thoughts (no pun intended—well, okay, maybe…) on food, photography and social media. Thanks for taking a glimpse into the life of today’s foodie crush, Brian of A Thought for Food.

When I asked Brian which favorite recipe I should try, he immediately recommended his recipe for Chocolate Cherry Scones with Saffron. I thought, PERFECT! I’ve been hoarding a box of Spanish saffron for years after being generously gifted to me by a friend’s father who happened to be a pilot and happened to bring me the colorful spice from one of his overseas trips.

Foodie Crush Chocolate Cherry Scones

Prior to this recipe, I was a scone virgin. Brian took care of that notch on my bedpost for me.

Why I haven’t made this type of pastry before is beyond me now. Dark chocolate and tart sour cherries are the perfect foil to the not too sweet pastry and perfect for coffee dunkin’.

And now a few more words from the magnanimous Brian. Thank you for being our foodie crush.

1. Describe your blog in 3 words:
Fresh. Intimate. Honest.

2. If you could be one food blogger other than yourself, who would you be?
There are too many to name, but I love David and Louise of Green Kitchen Stories.

3. Which 3 blogs do you follow/are obsessed with/can’t live a day without?
Chasing Delicious
Happyolks
Bakers Royale

4. What is the one kitchen tool you could never give up?
My chef’s knife is an obvious one, but besides that, it would have to be my food processor, which I use at least three times a week to make everything from pesto to scones.

5. What dish are you obsessed with mastering that you just can’t get quite right?
I’m still working on mastering egg dishes. I make mean scrambled eggs (there’s a lot of butter in them), but I haven’t nailed down poaching them.

6. What did you have for dinner last night?
Homemade baked falafel served over mixed greens with a lemon-tarragon vinaigrette.

7. What’s one secret talent outside of the kitchen nobody knows about you:
I love singing.  In high school, I was in a number of choirs and a capella groups.

8. You’re happiest when cooking/eating:
I am happiest when eating breakfast at home with my husband, on a lazy Sunday morning.

9. You created a series on your blog called Silent Sunday, tell us what the inspiration was to start it and where do you find your inspiration for subjects to document?
Silent Sunday was inspired by Debra and Rod of the blog Smith Bites, who do a series called 52 Sundays, and I’ve always enjoyed reading those with my Sunday breakfast. My idea was to do photo-centric blog posts where I got to feature my favorite restaurants and shops.

While I haven’t given up on the Silent Sunday posts, I am moving away from just doing these on Sundays.  I’ll continue to do these profiles, but they might go up on other days.

10. The one secret ingredient to your success is:
Writing a blog can be a trying process, but the key to being successful at it is to create a presence.  I’ve always tried to keep a tight schedule and there hasn’t been a week in the past two years where I haven’t posted. With that being said, I think people have responded to my blog because they can relate to me and that’s because I stay true to who I am. I never post just for the sake of posting, but, rather, because I have something to share.

Thank you Brian for sharing with us! Brian will also be featured in the upcoming issue of Foodie Crush magazine and we’re thrilled to learn more about him there too and check out my other food blogger interviews.

Related Posts
Interview with Kristin Doyle of Dine and Dish
Interview with Helene Dujardin of Tartelette
Interview with  Marla Meredith of Family Fresh Cooking

Thanks for reading and please keep in touchSubscribe to Foodie Crush and follow me on  TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out  Foodie Crush magazine and  Cookie Cravings cookbook.

Posted in: baking and breads,crushing,desserts and sweets,food blogger interview,food bloggers

simonaskitchen June 6, 2012 at 3:35 am

It’s one of the first foreigner blogs I started following when I staretd mine! Although I had problems in translating all recipes and articles, I liked the ‘atmosphere’ of his blog! Picts are wonderful! Simo

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar June 6, 2012 at 5:45 am

What a fabulous interview!! So interesting. I love Brian’s blog!

Maria June 6, 2012 at 6:20 am

Brian is all kinds of awesome! Great interview!

Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } June 6, 2012 at 7:15 am

Brian has a wonderful blog and I have been a fan for quite sometime! What a wonderful post and you certainly captured the essesence of his delightful blog.

Monet June 6, 2012 at 7:17 am

Fabulous interview with one of my favorite people. It is true…he treats food with love and respect. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective June 6, 2012 at 8:09 am

1 <3 Brian!! Great interview. :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks June 6, 2012 at 8:14 am

Oh I love this! And I love his absolutely stunning blog. And now I’m jealz.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. June 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

love love love Brian! So glad you featured him!

Jennifer June 6, 2012 at 8:35 am

Thanks for the interview! I really enjoyed reading it.

Cassie June 6, 2012 at 8:37 am

Love this interview. I’m dying over those scones!

Stephanie June 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

What a wonderful interview!

SMITH BITES June 6, 2012 at 9:55 am

Nice interview Heidi – I really do have a soft spot for Brian and we’ve been friends for quite some time – he’s a guy with a terrific blog and a great heart!

TidyMom June 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

Great interview! I Love Brian’s blog and I LOVE Silent Sundays!!

Cookin' Canuck June 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

I just loved this interview with Brian. He’s such a genuine person, which shines through not only in this interview, but in his blog and his interactions on social media. Diggin’ the saffron in the scones, too!

Kathryn June 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

Such a great feature, I really enjoyed finding out more about Brian and his beautiful blog. Plus look at those scones!

Naomi June 6, 2012 at 11:53 am

Great interview! I had no idea Brian sang in high school. And thank you, Brian for including me in your list of blogs. Wow. What an honor!

Lastly, I must be living under a rock-thank you for introducing me to this great blog, Brian!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Brian is the whole package, a great guy with a sense of humor who can cook! How can you not love that?

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Great interview. Brian is so nice and down to earth. :)

Jennifer | Mother Thyme June 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

Lovely interview! I have enjoyed reading his blog for some time. It’s beautiful!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes June 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

I have a little jar of saffron I haven’t used yet too. This would be a perfect recipe to use it in. Thanks for sharing it and the fun interview.

Kristen June 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I adore Brian and think this interview speaks to how he really is. Great job to both of you!

Kristen June 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

PS – I wish I would have thought to drink wine during my interview ;) That could have been fun!

Lora @cakeduchess June 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Fantastic interview, Heidi. I adore Brian. He was one of my first friends (and for a while, the only one)to comment on my blog when I started writing it. Forever supportive, sweet, and so talented. It’s lovely to see Brian here and he has great tips for anyone just starting out their food blog. :)

Cookie and Kate June 7, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love these interviews so much, Heidi! Brian is great, I like him even more now!

Marnie Byod June 7, 2012 at 11:11 pm

It is my honor to know about Brian Samuels and I learn some things from him. He is an inspiration for me. Thanks for taking time to have an interview with Brian for us.

Samantha June 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm

What a very refreshing interview! I enjoyed reading and watching.

justcooknyc June 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

love this…

Nikola Tesla Secret Download September 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Who is Nikola Tesla is a question that is puzzling.
He is still known today as the man who encrypted his secrets of magnetism in his book on Moral Education.
Who doesn’t want the end to huge bills, and the stress that goes with that.

Total Wellness Cleanse Free October 4, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Your body does a miraculous job of detoxifying on a daily basis, but slowly over time, it falls behind.
You should especially avoid combining fruit
with dairy (e. This herb is magnificent and it
gives new energy to our liver.

the m3 system download October 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm

So it becomes very important to understand how to behave
after your have you ex back after a breakup.

I’m afraid that this is what will happen if you
continue to contact her just for the hope of some
kind of interaction with her. The harsh reality is that doing something right now would make the situation worse, not better.

jason ferruggia minimalist Training pdf October 17, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Using the equipment will also help you to lose some weight.
To choose your first meet, you will need to go to and click on the
calendar page toward the top left, there you will be able to see a
list of local events being held within the current
year. A basic 15 minutes a few times per week is all that is needed to see positive impact.

m3 system by michael griswold free download October 17, 2013 at 9:56 pm

A home based boutique requires a low cost, yet effective marketing strategy.
Or, is it because you miss having someone to spend time with.
The harsh reality is that doing something right now
would make the situation worse, not better.

income with jamie download November 8, 2013 at 11:12 am

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long
as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage?
My blog site is in the very same niche as yours and my users would certainly benefit from a lot of the
information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you.
Many thanks!

waffle iron reviews November 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The pockets made by the waffle iron creates a wonderful
crunchy outside with a softness within. One of the coolest reported features of this countertop waffle maker is the audio alert system which might crack into your stupor and allow you to know that your little crisp cake of morning
goodness has been completed. Too much, it will ooze out and dribble down to the
cupboard, creating a mess that is aggravating and unattractive.

Burn The Fat Feed The Muscle Free November 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm

They gained back all of the weight, and usually significantly
more. Check online to find a running store in your area that can advise you on the best shoes for your needs.
The role of exercise is as important as the choice of diet.

Ultimate Mma Strength And Conditioning free November 19, 2013 at 4:57 pm

In an hour MMA conditiioning circuit, take the last 5-10 minutes and step up the intensity to a max interval.
Coordination: Perfect conditioning workouts help one combine all the aforementioned skills in a bout.
This kind of test hardly proves anything given the fact that there
were too many uncontrolled variables involved.

http://fibroidsmiraclepdfdownload1.Blogspot.com December 11, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Good day! Do you know if thеy make any plugins to help with Search Engine Optimization?
I’m trying to get my blog to гаnk for
some tаrgeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good gains.
If you know of any plеase share. Many thanks!

ultimate herpes protocol free December 14, 2013 at 1:57 am

You should also follow a healthy lifestyle: If you make a relatively small change in
your whole lifestyle then there will be a big impact
on the body and your health. I thought this would turn me into a super-lean machine.
Chilli and capsicum are the best foods for burning fat because they contain a compound in them called capsaicin
and this is actually what experts add to weight loss pills
as it kick starts your metabolism for major fat burning.