Salmon and Bagel Egg Benedict for Mother’s Day Brunch

by heidi on May 10, 2012

Post image for Salmon and Bagel Egg Benedict for Mother’s Day Brunch

While writing this I can overhear my husband singing along to Pete Townsend.

It’s not the expected rendition of one of the The Who‘s famously loud and uproarious songs. No, its a much sweeter and tender tune sung to a simple ukelele with a message that resonates deeply with me this Mother’s Day.

“I like every minute of the day!
I like every second, so long as you are on my mind,
Every moment has its special charm,
It’s all right when you’re around, rain or shine.”
Blue, Red and Grey, The Who

It’s too easy these days between work commitments, running kids to and fro—not to mention our daily obsession with Instagram and Pinterest—to forget what is most important in our ever-expanding to-do-list-filled days.

To take a breath. To sit back and to look around and take advantage of the moments we have together as a women, moms and daughters.

Whether it’s an impromptu pinecone dodgeball fight in the park with my darling and quickly maturing daughter or a telephone conversation with my most supportive cheerleading mom, it’s just like Pete says, it’s all right when they’re around.

Foodie Crush

Smudge and her Mimi at a recent outing at the Zoo via @FoodieCrush Instagram

And that’s why I’m thrilled that I’ll again be spending this Mother’s Day with both of my girls. Yes, it is just a day like any other calendar day, but it’s also a reminder to take advantage of time spent  with one another. To respect the teachings of the mom who’s lived a life of learning and to share her life lessons with my absorbent little sponge of a Smudge.

We’ve made this recipe a couple of times for my parents. Although my dad was a wee bit skeptical the first time out of the gate, he’s definitely been won over.

Whenever I think of this benedict I think of my husband poaching the eggs in their kitchen while the rest of us sit in their lush backyard at the table set with woven placemats they’ve had for years, my mom drinking her coffee and instructing my dad to put on sunscreen and quit cutting back her clematis and me snacking on the avocado that’s meant for the main dish.

This year we’ll be hitting brunch at one of my favorite ski resorts but luckily I got to enjoy the bene-love early thanks to this post.

If you’re looking for an easy gift to accompany your mama’s (or yours) Kindle or Kindle Fire, add Cookie Cravings Cookbook (my first e-cookbook cooking adventure featuring Maria of Two Peas and Their Pod‘s favorite cookie recipes) to your online library or purchase an iPad or desktop friendly version here.

And remember, submissions for the next issue of Foodie Crush magazine are under way. Send me your recipe and material soon, deadline for entries is June 1.

Wishing all of you moms a Happy Mother’s Day filled with love and laughter and as my mom says, “Love you madly.”

Salmon and Bagel Egg Benedict

Yield: serves 4

Salmon and Bagel Egg Benedict

4 bagels, split
1/2 pound king salmon divided into 2 ounce portions
8 eggs
hollandaise sauce (I use one package of Knorr's classic sauce spiked with lemon or this recipe)
1 tomato, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
paprika or chili powder for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place fish in a 9 X 12 baking dish and add enough water to just cover fish. Bake fish for 10 minutes or until opaque. Remove from baking dish and keep warm.
  2. Prepare hollandaise according to this recipe or package directions.
  3. In a saucepan or skillet with high edges bring water to almost boiling so white bubbles form on bottom of pan. Add 1 teaspoon white vinegar. Crack eggs into water keeping whites close to egg yolks. Gently spoon water over yolks and cook for 3-5 minutes or until whites are firm. Remove eggs from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Trim ragged edges with kitchen shears.
  4. Toast bagels and top with layers of tomato, avocado, salmon and egg. Spoon hollandaise over eggs, sprinkle with paprika or chili powder and serve.

If you’re looking for some ideas for a Mother’s Day brunch, or a brunch pretty much anytime of the year, give some of these food blogger recipes a go. Perfect foil to the rich delish salmon bene.

Foodie Crush Eat Live Run Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade

Jenna whets mom’s whistle with Eat, Live, Run‘s Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade

Foodie Crush Love and Lemons Ricotta and Fig Jam Bruschetta

Jeanine eases our tastebuds into brunch with Love & Lemons’ Ricotta & Fig Jam Bruschetta

Foodie Crush Taste and Tell Winter Fruite Salad

Deb takes us from winter into spring with Taste and Tell‘s Winter Fruit Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing

Foodie Crush Fat Girl Trapped In a Skinny Body Fruit Kabobs

Julia keeps it fresh and light with A Fat Girl Trapped In a Skinny Body‘s Summer Fruit Kabobs

Foodie Crush A Farmgirl Dabbles Almond Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee

Brenda tops the day with a sugar crunch and A Farmgirl’s Dabbles Almond Vanilla Bean Créme Brulée

Related Recipes
Dutch Baby for Breakfast
Ham and Cheese Baked Egg Cups
Grandma’s Scrambled Eggs
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

Thanks for reading and please keep in touchSubscribe to Foodie Crush and follow me on TwitterFacebook and Pinterest and check out Foodie Crush magazine and Cookie Cravings cookbook.

Posted in: breakfast and brunch,meat and seafood,recipes

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 10, 2012 at 2:28 am

Happy Mother’s Day, Heidi!

Great pics and recipe. I love that slate gray plate you’re using. Or charcoal or whatever shade it is, I love the shape and finish. I need more pieces like that but have the worst time trying to find things that aren’t crazy $$

heidi May 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

Hi Averie! I bought those plates at Ikea, you can buy them in singles so makes for a good value that looks good.

Julia {The Roasted Root} May 10, 2012 at 6:57 am

I can see how you could be anxiously awaiting a day that began with eggs benedict – I love eggs benedict myself and putting salmon on there makes it such a delightful meal! The thick slices of avocado look great too. Thanks for a great Mom’s Day lineup…everything looks fabulous!

Bev @ Bev Cooks May 10, 2012 at 8:18 am

Seriously, that egg is PERFECTLY poached.

And I love your daughter’s shirt!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven May 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

Such beautiful, colorful photographs! This looks amazing. Enjoy your Mother’s Day with your favorite girls! :)

Carrie May 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

Lovely post. Great song. Beautiful food. One thing I love about instagram is that it DOES ask you to stop and enjoy your surroundings if just for a moment and share them with others…I feel my next blog post coming on. Thanks for the inspiration ;)

Jennifer | Mother Thyme May 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

This dish is lovely, and just perfect for Mother’s Day! Do you think if I print this recipe out and leave it on the kitchen counter my husband will get the hint of what I want for Mother’s Day as breakfast in bed? ;) Thank you for sharing a beautiful recipe and a wonderful round up to compliment it. :) Happy Mother’s Day to you!

Julia May 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

Did you KNOW I just told my husband last night I want smoked salmon on a bagel for brunch on Mother’s Day? I’m not even kidding. he thought this request was odd since I also requested ice cream for breakfast. Salmon and ice cream? I’m Julia, and I’m weird.
This is making me want salmon and a bagel like 100x more now, it looks aaaaahmaaaazing!

Jeanine May 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the link love and happy mothers day to you! I’m drooling over your salmon egg benedict, i just might have to make that this weekend.

Deborah May 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

I loved this post!! And I definitely wouldn’t complain if my husband made this up for me on Mother’s day! And thanks for the link love – that salad is seriously one of my favorites. I’ve probably made it 20 times since I first posted it!

Jenny Flake May 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I am blown away by your stunning photos! They are just breathtakingly gorgeous! What a beautiful eggs benedict, one of my favorite breakfasts ever!

Patti May 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Hey sweetheart, you’ve touched my heart again. I too am looking forward to spending Mothers Day
with all of you. I remember those delicious eggs benedict, the beautiful photo reminded me of how wonderful they are, I’d like to put in another order. I’m going to have to try some of the other yummy looking recipes on the post. Your Mama is so proud of you. and I love you all madly.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles May 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm

That looks like an absolutely perfect benedict! I haven’t made one with salmon before…yum! A great big thank you for featuring my creme brulee. Happy Mother’s Day and have a great time skiing!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen May 10, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Wow what a feast! I would love the salmon eggs Benedict! Happy Mother’s Day to you!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet May 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

YUM Heidi! I’ll take one of each…especially the Benedict! Delish! Happy almost Mother’s Day to you!

Heather

Mother Omega May 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm

My heart was happy when I read Patti’s post. Happy Mothers Day to you both!!

Giselle May 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Happy happy Mother’s Day everyone! This is just a great idea for all of us especially a great bonding with the kids and mothers in cooking..

Joseph C. Dawson May 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

This was so beautifully written. And so stinkin’ heartfelt and honest. Thank you for letting the rest of us has a glimpse like this into your mother’s heart. And your own. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Emanuel August May 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm

What are the yammy recipes!!!!!! These are looking very delicious and i think these recipes are the best gift to mom at mothers day. I want to have these recipes with my mom at mothers day.

Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} May 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Happy Mother’s Day, Heidi!
The eggs Benedict look great. I have never made them with salmon before. Will have to try them out!

marla May 13, 2012 at 8:33 am

Happy Mother’s Day Heidi!! I hope you enjoy your day + these eggs look amazing!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective May 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

Oh, oh OH! It all looks so delicious. This was way better than my Mother’s Day brunch… don’t tell my husband I said that. :)

Lauren May 14, 2012 at 10:05 am

Looks like a beautiful meal! Happy belated Mother’s Day!

Simon K. Nave May 15, 2012 at 4:59 am

This dish is so lovely, Thank you for writing a very entertaining and motivating blog. This is truly perfect for mother’s day. And the food is yummy delicious.

Kim @ The Family Practice May 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

Wish I had seen this before mother’s day – I would have requested this in bed instead of waffles :) Luckily, its my birthday this weekend so I have another breakfast in bed request to use this for!

Cindy May 16, 2012 at 7:37 am

I made this for dinner tonight, it came together so quick and everyone loved it! Including Mr. Picky 4 year old that won’t eat anything besides hash browns and chicken nuggets. Thanks for a great recipe!!

Shanita C. Crosby May 19, 2012 at 2:21 am

This was beautiful and I love how you just poured you in your recipe. Thanks for the information.

George Mackie May 26, 2012 at 5:29 am

Presentation is the main thing in a dish…. you have presented in a magnificent manner…

Kristin December 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Love Hollandaise Sauce! Great idea to use salmon!
Thank you for all that you do!
Pinned,