It’s almost over. My weekly ode to the grilled cheese will soon be on hiatus until next April.
If you missed my Sweet Pear and Rosemary Honey with Havarti Grilled Cheese, Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese or Turkey and White Cheddar with Caramelized Onion & Grape Grilled Cheese you can still add them to your weekend honey-do list.
But until we make the move into margaritas and Mother’s Day brunches, I have two more sandwiches to squeeze in.
This week’s grilled cheese is all about the aroma. As in the stink. Tallegio is a creamy Italian cows milk cheese that at first waft might send a 411 alert to your tastebuds to brace themselves for an alarmingly strong bite. But contrary to its aroma, Tallegio’s flavor is more mild, even more so than the far more popular blues or gorgonzola. Its more like a brie, with a bit of a fruity nutty flavor to top it off.
And creamy? Oh baby. It’s creamy.
Speaking of baby, before we get into the cheese let’s get into this week’s Friday Faves.
- Congratulations to Annaliese and her brand new baby toes: the ultimate reason to take some time out from blogging
- Despite all of the brou-ha-ha with Facebook, I still love Instagram (follow me here) and want to keep up on it all the time. Here’s an app roundup to help me do just that
- Totally pinned this organizing idea from one of my fave design bloggers in hopes to make pretty presents while keeping my sanity
- Another great food blog hits the iPhone app world. I wish her brother needed another Senior project and I’d put him to work. I wonder how long it will be before blogs are replaced by apps?
- Mother’s Day is right around the corner so order a hard copy of our Cookie Cravings cookbook for yo mama and maybe she’ll make you a batch of cookies like the good ol’ days
- And then make her brunch ala eggs bene from Katherine’s new book
- Or have a coffee clutch with friends
- Hey look, they put me on the hot seat
- Thanks to Jeanette’s collaborative Pinterest board you’ll find plenty of inspiration to create and submit to the summer issue of Foodie Crush
- And don’t miss entering to win stunning handmade swag from Harabu house and a little cash in your pocket to spend as you see fit
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ pound brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 16 slices Tallegio cheese, sliced ¼" thick
- ½ teaspoon truffle oil
- kosher salt
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Add olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté mushrooms for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach in batches and cook for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and a truffle oil and set aside.
- On each slice of 4 slices of bread layer 1 slice of cheese then mushrooms and spinach, prosciutto, 1 more slice of cheese and remaining bread slices.
- Heat a skillet on medium and melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add to skillet two sandwiches at a time and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until bread becomes golden and cheese starts to melt. Flip sandwich once and cook until cheese melts and bread becomes golden, another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with additional sandwiches. Cut in half and serve hot.
More cheesy love and one more Grilled Cheese post to come on Monday. And hold onto your shorts, we might be talking bacon.
Forget the spoon and no need for dunking > French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese from brother/sister blogging team Bob & Carlene from BS’ in the Kitchen
You’ve likely seen this recipe floating around Pinterest > Chicken Parmesan Grilled Cheese from Jaymee at E Is for Eat
A cheesy sandy that Elmer would give up the hunt for > Grilled Cheese with Roasted Carrtos and Carrot Green Pesto from the husband and wife on the move duo Kelsey and Shaun at Happyolks
Fresh and no need for the C-store > Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese by Tara at Smells Like Home
The ultimate testament that sweet plus savory makes a great grilled cheese > Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese from Kevin at Closet Cooking
Parisian living at its gooeyness > Croque Monsieur from Alison at Ingredients Inc