Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese

by heidi on April 12, 2012

Post image for Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese

There are few meals in my life that once I light upon them become an obsession. The humble grilled cheese is that sandwich.

No matter what form, no matter what level of haute- or low-brow cuisine, the cheese a la grillé is a magnet that won’t let me go. And I am totally okay with that.

The beauty of any grilled cheese is the multitude of limitless combinations to create gooeywiches. Any kind of cheese from stinky French milks to hard aged cheddars will match with humble potato bread or artisan sourdoughs. Throw in an infinite number of add-ins and there you have an enviable sandwich.

National Grilled Cheese month gives us all the opportunity to branch out of the mild cheddar cheese and white bread mode and go a little crazy, get a little wild with what goes on between the slices. And those slices, they could use a little freedom too. Different sorts of bread are always welcome.

This week we’re going to the sweet side with the combination of smokey ham and mild provolone topped with sweet fig spread and stuffed between slices of walnut raisin bread. Oh yes, freedom, did I mention the freedom?

Did you miss week one of my ode to National Grilled Cheese Month? Well scoot on over and check out my Turkey and White Cheddar with Caramelized Onion & Grape Grilled Cheese.

Next week we’ll talk about what makes the perfect grilled cheese. But today, let’s just eat.

Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese

Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese

2 tablespoons butter
8 slices walnut raisin bread
4 tablespoons fig spread
1 pound honey smoked ham deli meat, shaved
16 slices provolone cheese

1. Heat a skillet on medium. Butter one side of each piece of bread. On unbuttered side of 4 slices of bread layer 1 tablespoon fig spread, 1 slice of cheese, 1/4 portion of turkey, 1 more slice of cheese. Place slice of bread on top, buttered side up, and grill in skillet until bread becomes golden. Flip sandwich once and cook until cheese melts and bread becomes golden. Cut in half and serve hot.

And check out these delicious cheese ideas. Good gravy, get yourself into the kitchen stat.

Foodie Crush Naturally Ella Hummus Grilled CheeseErin throws a healthy wrench in the grilled cheese round up with Naturally Ella‘s Hummus and Grilled Cheese Sandwich

FOodie Crush Sprouted Kitchen Swiss Chard Grilled CheeseSweetly sautéed Swiss Chard sandwiched between a few slices of nutty Gruyere make Spouted Kitchen’s Sauteed Chard and Gruyere Grilled Cheese a favorite at the Forte household.

Foodie Crush Dinner With Julie Short RIb Grilled CheeseJulie pairs braised pork with gooey gouda layered between sourdough to create the mouth watering Dinner With Julie‘s Grilled Cheese with Pulled Short Ribs

Posted in: meat and seafood,recipes,sandwiches

Kathryn April 12, 2012 at 2:40 am

That is one delicious looking sandwich!

Erin April 12, 2012 at 5:14 am

Grilled cheese is definitely a go-to meal for me and I love mixing up the cheeses/add-ons. It’s so fun to see what you can come up with! The addition of fig spread sounds delicious!

Thanks Heidi for featuring my grilled cheese!

Torita Menna May 9, 2012 at 6:11 am

I think we have that in common Erin, I mean mixing the grilled cheese. By the way I tried the recipe above and the outcome was stunning. Really awesome stuff.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables April 12, 2012 at 8:12 am

I live for the grilled cheese-i can only imagine how great the combination of salty ham and sweet fig spread is.

Jennifer | Mother Thyme April 12, 2012 at 8:32 am

Grilled cheese has been making a regular occurrence in our kitchen lately and your ham, fig spread and provolone is one that will definitely be on the menu soon. Looks fabulous! I love National Grilled Cheese Month! :)

Sue April 12, 2012 at 9:29 am

I want this in my mouth now. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. What a fabulous idea using raisin bread for the bread choice. I am so going to have to make this. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

Wendy@chezchloe April 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm

The fig, ham and provolone is a stupendous combination… making notes in my priority file. Thanks!

Sarah B. April 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Your grilled cheese looks amazing Heidi! These must have been so irresistible during the shoot, but how can grilled cheese sandwiches not do that? :) especially with raisin bread, oh man. So yum.

Cookie and Kate April 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm

My stomach is growling for that sandwich. Seriously.

The Cozy Herbivore April 13, 2012 at 6:48 am

I’ve been eating grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner for the past week or so, with a big bowl of tomato soup. I’m addicted! I love the add-ons– although I wouldn’t go for the ham myself, I love the idea of adding a fig spread! I love Sprouted Kitchen’s swiss chard version as well… so many possibilities for this humble sandwich!

Sandy @Southwestgirl April 13, 2012 at 10:39 am

Ham and fig spread!? Evil Genious!
Ok, you’ve challenged me. I’m going to have to see if I can come up with a Southwest grilled cheese :)

Sandy April 13, 2012 at 11:39 am

Sorry… typo… Genius :)

Becky at Vintage Mixer April 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I must say I LOVE fig spread and have had it on a grilled cheese once before and it was simply divine. I must try making this at home now. Thanks for the recipe idea.

Magic of Spice April 15, 2012 at 11:21 am

Nothing quite like having fun with grilled cheese…looks fantastic!

Liz April 16, 2012 at 6:59 am

These Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese makes my mouth watery. Yummy, I think I’d try these one and add in my list.

Jam April 17, 2012 at 2:37 am

Honey Smoked Ham with Fig Spread Grilled Cheese is totally awesome. These blog made me hungry, hope to try these.

Erin April 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I have a question. In the ingredients (and blog post title) you said ham, however, in the instructions for the recipe you said, ” 1/4 portion of turkey”! That’s supposed to be ham, right?

Hillary April 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This is out of control. My goodness, I need to try this!

Sandra92 April 21, 2012 at 3:50 am

When I see this post my mouth is watering and I am craving to eat this. Love it.

CPA May 7, 2012 at 10:53 am

i am craving to eat this too
MIAM

Donna April 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Holy Moly…This will be done….But wait!!!…In the directions I see ham as the meat-of-choice…but in the directions…I spy “turkey” being mentioned…Does this mean that either/or is permitted?!…Truly scrumptious offering…Your are the sammie queen IMHO….stellar stuff!