A Tale of Two Egg Salads

by heidi on April 10, 2012

Post image for A Tale of Two Egg Salads

Once upon a time, as in yesterday, there was a family divided.

They made their choices, they took sides. Neither would budge to accommodate the other.

It was a battle of the egg salads. One recipe made with the traditional deli-style mayonnaise. One recipe made with sweetened up, home school Miracle Whip.

My allegiance to Miracle Whip had remained steady throughout my youth, including my favorite after school snacks of cheddar cheese topped Triscuits with a schmear of Miracle Whip. My favorite sandwich was egg salad–and Miracle Whip was my flavor enhancer of choice.

Foodie Crush Egg SaladAnd then it happened. On a trip to New York City I discovered the purity of mayonnaise. A corner deli egg salad sandwich made me a convert. I had switched sides. I was now a mayo lover.

My family is still far from making the jump to the other side. I am outnumbered.

The end result? Each egg salad that is made in our house is made in two versions, one with finely chopped hard boiled egg that is barely moistened with the tang of mayo and a bit of mustard. The other delivers a more generous dollop of the far sweeter Miracle Whip mixed into heartier chunks of egg.

Foodie Crush Egg SaladEither which way, white bread is a must, lightly toasted with a swipe of butter. I find the ratio of two eggs to one scant tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1/2 teaspoon mustard plus a pinch of salt results in the finest combination.

So which kind of lover are you? Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise?

mash it up.

Classic Egg Salad Sandwich

Classic Egg Salad Sandwich

4 eggs
4 pieces white potato bread
butter
2 scant tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
kosher salt

1. Place eggs in a medium saucepan, cover by with cold water by 1 inch or from your fingertip to first knuckle. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover with id and let sit for 10 minutes. Cool with cold water and ice cubes for 5 minutes. Crack and peel eggs under cold running water. Set aside.
  2. In a bowl mash eggs finely. Add mayonnaise, mustard and salt and stir to combine.
  3. Toast bread, butter and top two slices with half of egg mixture. Top with remaining bread slices and serve.

For a bigger twist from the basics, try one of the recipes below.

Foodie Crush Curvy Carrot Egg Saladphoto > The Curvy Carrot

The Curvy Carrot’s Open Faced Egg Salad Sandwich is a svelte alternative to the traditional recipe when Shanon swaps out mayo for a muffin-top destroying Greek yogurt with a spike of garlic and chives.

Foodie Crush Kohler Created Egg Saladphoto > Kohler Created

Neil and Jessica’s Cucumber Egg Salad would be ushered into my husband’s mouth with great applause and lip smacking. Cucumbers: his perfect food. Kohler Created’s creation of a perfect union with egg salad.

Foodie Crush A Cheeky Kitchen Tofu Egg Saladphoto > Cheeky Kitchen

Tofu, veganaisse, fennel and a spate of spices round out Cheeky Kitchen’s super quick and delish Vegan Mock Egg Salad that Brooke whips up on nights when cooking a meal isn’t in the cards.

Foodie Crush A Cozy Kitchen Egg Saladphoto > A Cozy Kitchen

Adrianna takes us into some serious interesting ingredient combination territory with A Cozy Kitchen’s Curry Egg Salad is tricked out with the spice of curry, the sweetness of apple and the tart squirt of lime rounded out with dijon. An adult egg salad indeed.
Foodie Crush With Style and Grace Egg Salad

photo > With Style and Grace

Lisa keeps it simple and gluten-free with a few eggs, a little celery crunch and a touch of dill on gluten-free bread in With Style and Grace’s Open-face Egg Salad Sandwich.

Posted in: breakfast and brunch,recipes,salads and sides,sandwiches

Bev Weidner April 10, 2012 at 8:13 am

Oh my word, woman. WELL, I’m more of a mayo lover myself, but just looking at all these pictures, I don’t even care. Just as long as they ALL land inside my head.

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 10, 2012 at 8:19 am

These egg salads all just look so beautiful! Never saw so many pretty eggs and mayo under one roof :)

Becky O. April 10, 2012 at 9:24 am

For the first few years of my marriage my husband was positive you could never tell the difference. Boy was he in the dark! I finally convinced him to do a taste test and well…you know the rest of the story. :)

These look gorgeous. I’m a mayo girl, generally speaking.

SeattleDee April 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m a mayo fan, no question about it. But load up my egg salad sandwich with crumbled bacon, chopped scallions, chutney or sweet pickle relish, please.

Cassie April 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

They all look divine. And I don’t really turn down any kind of salad sandwich, be it egg, chicken, tuna, etc. However, with egg salad, I do prefer Miracle Whip for some reason…I think I like the sweeter flavor with the eggs.

Maribel Reyes April 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I will have to try some of these recipes, I do prefer Best Foods Mayo… it is the best taste for me :)

Mark April 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Ha just had egg salad for lunch today on some Jewish Rye. I tend to a lot of and about 2tbsp or so of Mayo and I like the spicy mustard’s as well.The Dietz Watson jalapeno mustard and I also add a pinch of paprika to mine as well.

Helena April 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm

As a friend of a friend once said: “Mayonnaise equals death.” But then, so does Miracle Whip. I use Ranch dressing in mine with a healthy dose of Plotchman’s (Plochman’s? However it’s spelled, it’s the greatest) yellow mustard. Your photos look mouth-watering, particularly the mayo version. Nothing like egg salad on white toast!

Sarah | The Cyclist's Wife April 10, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Wife: Maybe I should make egg salad.
Shows photos to The Cyclist
The Cyclist: Heck yeah! I’ll boil the eggs!
He is currently boiling eggs.
It appears I will be making egg salad.
Thanks for inspiring the Cyclist house!

patti April 10, 2012 at 9:56 pm

It’s miracle whip, on whole wheat, sorry darlin’ the question continues.

Jessie April 12, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I totally agree Patti! I think we’re the minority.

Kalyn April 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I am all about mayo, but I confess I do like Miracle Whip in potato salad!

Julie April 11, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oh my. I’ll take egg salad any way I can get it!

Lori @ RecipeGirl April 11, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh man… I could not, would not eat Miracle Whip in any way, shape or form! Is that because I didn’t grow up w/ the stuff? It just tastes icky to me. Egg salad with mayo, however… totally yum. But the eggs have to be mashed up pretty well :) Picky, aren’t I?

Lucy April 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

Definitely mayo! With a little sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard. MMM. Need to rethink my lunch plans.

me @ the-intentional-me April 11, 2012 at 9:04 am

I recently converted my family from a “light” mayo to a “real” mayo – Trader Joe’s Organic – not a pinch of sugar in site. I forgot how good “real” can taste. And we are a family of egg lovers – any form – any way – add the mayo and call it a meal!

Jennifer | Mother Thyme April 11, 2012 at 11:23 am

We have been whipping up egg salad the last few days to finish up the eggs we made for Easter. These look delish! I have to say I prefer mine with mayo but either way they are mighty good! :)

Jill April 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’m casting my vote for the egg salad with mayo… but they all look delish!
I love your on line magazine! I’m inspired by all of your fabulous recipes,
beautiful photos and clever commentary!
Count me as a fan! Couldn’t be more proud of you!

Priscilla May 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

MY GAWD..
I love egg salad!!
I’m not someone who’s good at cooking, but these pictures made me want to make some for myself!!
Mmmmmmmmm~

Aggie March 31, 2014 at 10:15 am

Cute post, and I’m making egg salad as we speak :) came here for ideas!
I’ve never been a miracle whip gal, a tiny touch of mayo and mustard is all I need in egg salad. I could eat it every day.

Connie April 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

Definitely mayonnaise in my household! I like mine with a little mustard, minced celery and green onion and lots of black pepper.

Dana April 21, 2014 at 8:51 am

I know this post is old but I just had to add in my vote for Miracle Whip all the way!!
Mayo has always disgusted me. Even the real, homemade kind.
Large chunks of egg, Nancy’s sharp tangy mustard, Miracle whip, sweet pickle relish, and chopped green olives. Yummo!

Ms. Frau April 28, 2014 at 2:06 am

I posted on Egg Salad this year, too. I use Mayo in mine…I’ve never liked Miracle Whip. It tastes sweet to me. Funny, though, when I was growing up one of the first cakes my Mom taught me to make (I’m sure because it was so easy and a great learner recipe) had Miracle Whip in it. Looks like most of your readers like Mayo, too. Welcome to the Club!

Natalie September 10, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I’m a mayo girl also. But, I always use half mayo & half miracle whip in my egg salads, potato salads, chicken salads and deviled eggs. I find that all mayo is just too blah, and all miracle whip is just too tangy.